Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: JV Football

JV Football

Finally had a chance to catch a JV Football game. Our team (blue) was ahead 22-7 before the game was called because of lightning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JV Football-img_1364.jpg   JV Football-img_1412.jpg   JV Football-img_1448.jpg   JV Football-img_1449.jpg   JV Football-img_1454.jpg  

If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Re: JV Football

A few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JV Football-img_1501.jpg   JV Football-img_1502.jpg   JV Football-img_1579.jpg   JV Football-img_1485.jpg  
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

These are some nice shots. There's nothing like playing football in the rain / mud. My only critique is they are a bit dark.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Some great action here, the water and mud flying really adds to the images. I prefer the picture a little darker, I think it helps illustrate the kind of weather the game was been played under. The only negative I would put forward is the lack of faces in a few of the images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yeah i prefer the images dark, but these look a bit too dark. lighten them a tad bit. the last shot on the first post is great, just crop it tighter width wise.

i take alot of wrestling pictues what kind of camera did you use int the football pictures. i need to get that quality of pictures but in a gym.

wannabe

Booper
    I shoot in Gyms too. the really important thing is the f-stop. You need f/2.8 and flash. There are some really dark spots in most gyms. Without the flash, you may get a great action shot, but the faces will be real dark because of positions.

The general consensus, based on results, is a 70-200 f/2.8 lens being a must to get good shots consistantly.
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Booper those photos were done with a Rebel XT with a 70-200 f4 L. I've used this set up with volleyball also but I would suggest you get a 70-200 f2.8 if you can afford it. These were taken with some daylight and if you look and some from the volleyball and night games I have posted I think you will see a faster lens would be better. Even though I love my f4 I some times wish I would have just got the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 just to have the extra f-stop. I guess now that I've had an L lens I'll just have to get the Canon

Thread Information