Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Roadside Attractions: The Clown that takes the tickets

Another for the series. Comments and critiques welcomed. Suggestions cheerfully explored.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadside Attractions: The Clown that takes the tickets-clown.jpg   Roadside Attractions: The Clown that takes the tickets-clown-bw.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

drg

Re: Roadside Attractions: The Clown that takes the tickets

The slightly muted color version has more impact for me. It has more of a feel of age and nostalgia than the b/w.

I can see that this is in a window, but it could use more of a reference or point of view than just the reflected background. The portion of the window frame on the right is distracting.

Interesting series you have been working on recently.

If you should venture to the Midwest and are interested in Old Route 66 (the Mother Road) or US 41, let me know. I live one one, 66, and have traveled both extensively over the years and know a lot of quirky spots, OK to great eateries, and have more than a few suggestions for photographic locations.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

GB1

Cindy - It's an interesting subject. Was it behind a window? Seems like that, and there seems to be some dirt on the glass too, somewhat distracting from the image quality. I would have preferred a little sharper angle too, just to stress the 3-D a little more (I bet most would like a more straight on angle.. But here I think a slant is good).

DRG's suggestion sounds good. You should do a R-66 drive in the winter to escape the Feb nastiness of sleet and cold. I hear there's tons of great spots on 66.. Did you see "Cars?" It emphasized that.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks drg! I hope to get some more traveling done for this project in the coming Spring and Summer and may have to take you up on that. 66 is a great Route to travel and there are so many cool old diversions still along it. I hope to spend this fall touring some of my rural diversions in VA, MD and PA so if you know of any interesting suggestions you care to share for those locations too I'm all ears!!!

You are right about the edge I'll crop it out. As far as the greater reference of place I was going for a more ubiquitous entrance kind of feel. When I arrange them for display I am thinking of using it as my opening image.

I was just re-working it and tried a variation on the theme with a sepia toned effect. Better or worse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadside Attractions: The Clown that takes the tickets-clownsds.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Cindy - It's an interesting subject. Was it behind a window? Seems like that, and there seems to be some dirt on the glass too, somewhat distracting from the image quality. I would have preferred a little sharper angle too, just to stress the 3-D a little more (I bet most would like a more straight on angle.. But here I think a slant is good).

DRG's suggestion sounds good. You should do a R-66 drive in the winter to escape the Feb nastiness of sleet and cold. I hear there's tons of great spots on 66.. Did you see "Cars?" It emphasized that.

GB
    Hi GB!

Yes it was behind glass, to be more specific it was inside an old popcorn cart from the turn of the century. They don't use it to make popcorn now though so they put tickets in the place where this little clown used to rotate the popping kernels. It's an outdoor exhibit, so to speak, at the Kit Carson County Fairgrounds and Stockyards in Eastern Colorado, hence the grime. (And me without my Windex! ) This angle was the only one I could achieve which excluded me from the reflection but still keep the little clown where I wanted him in the frame, given the time of day and the size of the window (quite small actually ~ maybe 4x6), so it is what it is.

I'm dying to see Cars! My kids have seen it but I haven't had the pleasure yet. Looks like another good one from Pixar!
    Thanks for the Op GB!
    Asheville Photographer

drg

Yes, I like this one better!

I've spent a fair amount of time in MD over the years. One of the better 'roadside oddities' that come to mind is a junkyard. It is close to Camp David (the presidential retreat) and is what Lady Bird Johnson saw that prompted her roadside beautification program in the 60's. It used to have some hilarious signage and oddly enough it was never cleaned up or removed (Late 1990's anyway). I'll think on those areas and see what else I can come up with that isn't just touristy. If you get off the beaten path up around Lancaster (and not just Amish sights) there are some interesting old stores and little shops/smithies etc.

Hagerstown MD has a some neat 'townie' restaurant/general stores/bait shops type places on the hill.

Hope you get to travel some of 66. There is a new museum in Pontiac, Illinois which is one of the best before you get to Arizona. A lot closer also!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Good and thanks again drg! I think I could back off the sepia slightly but it's a good start and is closing in on what I want it to look like. Great suggestion about the junk yard! That's outside of Frederick right? I am attracted to urban blight and decay so one with historic significance sounds great. Better still I have a friend who lives up that way who'd been begging me to come up and take pictures in the mountains so it's a good road trip stop which is, after all, the whole point. I'll follow up on the Lancaster and Hagerstown suggestions as well.
    Asheville Photographer

Thread Information