Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Drunk Tranny

JMK

Drunk Tranny

Last edited by mtbbrian; 09-10-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 3 Sept 06...

GB1

Re: Drunk Tranny

I'd say shoot it round the world, but he might actually like that.

But at least some people are amused by it.

Some people just have too much time on their hands...
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Makes me think of the NY, Andy Warhol movies, Lou Reed music, Richard Avedon photos, Rocky Horror Show etc.....

"Take a walk on the wild side"

Jim B.

JMK

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I'd say shoot it round the world, but he might actually like that.

But at least some people are amused by it.

Some people just have too much time on their hands...
    That wasn't a photo critique, that was you passing judgment.

Critique-Posting Guidelines

Please be specific, constructive, and kind. There are all types and levels of photographers here. They all deserve our respect and attention.
    Feel free to post critiques for as many images as you like - the more the better!
    Do not copy and edit another photographer's photo without his or her permission.
    Stay on topic. This forum is for serious photo criticism. There are other forums here for discussing other aspects of photography or sharing photos.

I think this is interesting. The composition is perfect and it seems there is a social statement in the image, unless I'm just projecting my own values on it - which is very possible. But I see this guy as standing alone and outside of the party that's going on around him. His dress isn't quite on right and it's not clear whether he's happy or not. I don't know if you were consciously trying to create a message. But I'm getting one. It's an ambivalent one, but I think it's there. And ambivalence, without judgement, can make for powerful photos.

Aesthetically, the classic Tri-X / flash look of this image is in the tradition of socio-politically motivated photojournalism. It's a look that brings along its own history and values. And it gives us a context with which to view the image. I think it adds to this photo both visually and content-wise.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

JMK

Excellent review! And thank you.

i love his facil expression, good capture

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'll echo what John said in that it is an interesting socdial document on a small subculture.
    I think how you photographed this scene in B&W with a flash is very effective, but the the main subject seems to be a little out of focus.I can tell that this person interested you with your compostion, I am sure I would a similiar photograph.
    This seems to be your best photograph from what I saw at your site.

I looked at your site and saw great photographs, it looks like you have great access to what could be an interesting project.

I look forward to seeing more from you.
    Welcome to PR.com.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I'm a tad mixed on the shot. I think the pure originality of the shot may "override" the problems I see with this shot. Firstly, I would've liked to see the whole subject included...not cut off around the feet. Also, I'm noticing a few hot spots, especially with the cups the other subjects are holding on the right hand side.

Besides that, the black and white is very good for a place I'd presume is rather low light. The title isn't something I'm huge on either but I'm rather conservative like that

Framing is awkward -- man on left is cut off, either remove him or include him, not just partway.
    Exposure is good; if this is a B+W digital conversion, well done; for film, good tonality.
    You seem to have captured a moment, and the big smile helps, but framing and composition (would have liked if you'd been more to the left to make the shot) prevent a complete (think Diane Arbus) photograph.

/..

Thread Information