Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: Sigma 170-500mm

Sigma 170-500mm

Hi im looking for some info on this lense , would it be suitable for birding and would it be usable with a 1.4 Tcon ? any info would be appreciated . Also im looking at buying it used for the price of $450.00 CDN . Is it to expensive at this price ?
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Sigma 170-500mm

Well, right now the price at B&H is $769 US so the deal sounds very good- perhaps a bit too good to be true, but it is probably a pre-DG version.

The main thing about this lens is it is slow. Very slow. f/5.0 at the wide end and f/6.3 at the long end- that tends to be tough on the camera's AF system. Without knowing what body I can't give you a good estimate on how fast it will focus, for instance. But since it seems to lack HSM, it will be using the camera's internal screwdriver motor and most lenses that do so this long are not quick to focus.

It will not be usable with a 1.4x teleconverter- the lens would go from a 170-500 f/5-6.3 to a 240-700 f/7.1-9.0ish- beyond the limits of most AF systems and beyond most lighting situations to be honest. You'd also need one heck of a support system, using it on a digital body with the 1.5 crop, that's like having the FOV of a 1050mm lens on film, and your shutter speed would need to be very high and/or you would need a superb support system, which the lens' tripod collar may or may not be up to.

http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-...eviewscrx.aspx although these are for the Canon mount version, it will give you an idea of performance.

One thing I noticed was mention of zoom creep and slow focusing.

I don't know how this lens compares to say the "Bigma" Sigma 50-500mm, but the 50-500 has a reputation for good quality and has HSM if memory serves.

Both are equally slow however.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Knight,

I have been using this lens (Canon mount) for the vast majority of my wildlife images. The focal length is very nice, but when it comes to wildlife, you will always want more.

Like Harrison said, it's very slow to AF. I have missed many opportunities because the lens just wouldn't focus. It hunts quite regularly, even in good light. I have found that manual focus is the way to go with this lens unless the light is very good, or you have time to let the camera try to AF first. If something is standing pretty still, I will try AF, if it's something that's constantly moving I use manual focus.

You will be able to use a 1.4xTC or 2xTC but you will have to manual focus. I use a 2x with mine once in a while, but the viewfinder gets dark and makes manual focusing a challenge in dim light.

The lens isn't real sharp when opened all the way. I have found around f/8 or f/9 on my lens will give me very good results, but you sacrifacing your shutter speeds so a sturdy tripod, and cable release are a must. This lens is capable of taking very sharp photos when given the proper technique.

The lens does creep if you carry it pointing down. I find this to be pretty anoying, so if it's not mounted on my tripod, I hold onto the lens while walking. If it is mounted on the tripod, I make sure the camera is pointing up when I'm walking. If you have the lens extended and pointing up, it will also creap back down so I always zoom back to 170mm when I walking with the lens.

The Great Blue Heron shot below is a crop of an image I shot a couple weeks ago with my Sigma 170-500mm w/ a cheap Quantary 2x TC. This was shot at f/9 with a shutter speed of either 1/50 or 1/125 sec. (the meta data says 1/50, but for some reason I posted this in the gallery and the bird ID thread as being shot at 1/125), ISO 200, mounted on a Bogen 3021 BPro w/ 488RC2 ballhead, fired with a cable release. With my camera's crop factor, that gives me a field of view equal to 1600mm on film.

This shot of the song sparrow was also shot with the 170-500mm (no TC) @ f/9, SS of 1/50, ISO 200.

My over all opinon on this lens is that it's a pretty good lens for the price, IF you take your time with it, and use a good sturdy tripod and cable release. It's not a top of the line lens, but you can get very good results with it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for your Imput its very much Appreciated . The seller is giving me a 180 day waranty on it so i dont stand to bad waranty wise. I forgot to mention that i will be using this lense on a D50. Is there a better way to get more reach?
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Hrm...the D50 generally has the weakest Autofocus system and viewfinder in the Nikon line...the best way to get better performance would be to have an AF-S or HSM lens....the closest you can get here with that reach and same mfg./price range area would be the 50-500 Sigma HSM
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Well I used one on a F100 for years and I assure you mine is sharp enough at 500mm at F8, though not as sharp as a 500F4AFI/AFS or the AIS P which cost $1000's more. A set of Slik 700DX legs can support a F5/ 170-500/ 1.4TC/ TC16A(1120MM) at 1/10th quite nicely too, though I can't scan a slide to prove it. The AF was a bit slow so I remember, but I have seen far worse.

I have been seeing amazing images coming from a tamron 200-500 recently on a bird group I am a member of .I can't remember what lens though. Next time I get an image, I'll make note of the body .

Yes the 50-500 is a better lens due to build and a zoom lock, but isn't sharper from my test drives in the past.

Here is an early image from the 170-500 wide open at 500mm. I have much better, but not scanned in on this computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sigma 170-500mm-swimming-tiger-600.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Mjs1973 and Paul for the Photos they are first class indeed. Think im gonna give this lense a try. if it does not work out it will be on ebay lol Deckcadet thanks for the info
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Thread Information