Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: Lenses for F90x

Lenses for F90x

Hello

I've just bought a Nikon F90x and woulfd appreciate somw advice on suitable lenses.

Before this camera i was using a canon rebel with a sigma 70-300mm as my main lens. I would like to find a similar length lens in the mid price range

I've also been looking at a "Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D-AF ED-IF " is this lens suitable for a film camera?

I also saw that a "50mm f/1.8D AF" was mentioned in a previous post, again is this suitable for a film camera.

Thanks
    C

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Lenses for F90x

Quote Originally Posted by Catmando
    Hello

I've just bought a Nikon F90x and woulfd appreciate somw advice on suitable lenses.

Before this camera i was using a canon rebel with a sigma 70-300mm as my main lens. I would like to find a similar length lens in the mid price range

I've also been looking at a "Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D-AF ED-IF " is this lens suitable for a film camera?

I also saw that a "50mm f/1.8D AF" was mentioned in a previous post, again is this suitable for a film camera.

Thanks
    C
    All right, key thing to look for here is an aperture ring around the lens mount. Therefore only go for Nikon lenses designated "D" or 3rd party lenses you see have an aperture ring. Most digital-only lenses don't have them, so that's another way to make it easier to get one suitable for a film camera. the N90 is prior to the G standard so those lenses would only work in P and S exposure modes, not A or M.

To replace your old 70-300, get the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF (not the G). It is higher quality and actually compatible with your camera.

The 18-35mm is a very nice inexpensive lens providing very good optical quality at a good price. It is very suitable for the N90.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a mainstay in both film and digital, go right ahead. It is fully compatible.

Hope this helps!:thumbsup:
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thanks for that.... some top tips there.
    C

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Glad to help! Let us know what you decide to do.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Just a couple things - any lens with a "G" in the code of letters won't have an aperture ring. Don't buy any of these lenses; newer cameras adjust aperture from the camera body instead of using the lens aperture ring and the F90x (or the same US version N90s) won't do this. Any "DX" lens is designed for digital SLR cameras, so stay away from these too.

No personal experience with the 18-35 but the 50 and 70-300 (again, the ED version, not G) are very good lenses. The 28-105 is a very good mid-range zoom too. Any of these will work just fine with the F90x.

Bought the first lens for this camera. picked up a Nikon 70-210 F4~5.6 AF D Lens on Ebay for a good price.

Read some reviews of the lens on the net and it seemed to be a good buy.

Hopefully get it by the weekend so can get out and get some shots

C

Thread Information