Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Snaps from the Cruise

Hi all - I am just back from a 2 week cruise in the Aegean and Adriatic. I have something like 400 photographs to sort (although I promise only to post half a dozen or so here!). The first three: a photo I took of a guy painting the anchor - I call it Anchorman. The second is from Dubrovnik in Croatia and the third is from the Greek island of Santorini.

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snaps from the Cruise-anchorman-small.jpg   Snaps from the Cruise-dubrovnik-no-1-small.jpg   Snaps from the Cruise-santorini-no-2-small.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-02-2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo for 26 June 2006 - FIRST ONE!!!

Re: Snaps from the Cruise

Three good shots.
    The only problem I see is with the third one because it's all tilting to the right; but you can easily fix that.
    Well done on all three.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Very nice indeed. I really like the last one. I sort of want to see a wide shot of that area to see what I'm missing.

GB1

Neat shots. The Greek one is the best for me - I really nice their relaxing, plain and simple architecture. The middle shot, might want to crop out a tad of the sky.. seems better w/o all that negative space. The top shot looks like a magazine cover

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the comments. Both fair ones I think - I have redone the Dubrovnik one with a little less sky and it is an improvement. Also, I have tilted slightly the Santorini one - also an improvement. Cheers for that.

By request I attach a wider shot of Santorini to show how the architecture fits into the volcanic landscape.

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snaps from the Cruise-sant.jpg  

Wow. I think i like this shot better than other one in many ways. Thanks for posting it.

The last pic is really good.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

These and the others you posted are all wonderful photographs!
    It is hard to comment on them all.
    So I will comment on the first one.
    I like how you composed it.
    It is almost a perfect compostion in that, all the lines force your eye to take in every element of the photograph.
    I also like the white on white with the very limited and contrasting spots of color through out the frame.
    Juding by all of the great photographs you have, I am sure your cruise was very memorable!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Congrats on the sticky, and I have to say I think that my favorite is the one with all the houses, the different mix well, the angle was well done too. I also like the anchorman one, these are all well done....

Thank you for your kind comments. The "Anchorman" picture was taken on the quayside in Triest. The previous day we had been in a small port where the ship had to anchor in the bay and run the passengers into shore by the lifeboats. The anchor apparently scrapes the paint and so needs to be repainted pretty regularly. We were rushing for a taxi at the time, and I had one annoyed wife when I insisted on getting the camera out to photograph the sailor!

Regards
    Mike

Thread Information