ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Smile Welcome!!

Welcome to Photographyreview.com! You’re now in our community living room, which we call Viewfinder. Feel free to post an introduction here as well as any photos you’d like to share with the family. I think you’ll find we are a pretty welcoming and supportive bunch. We look forward to your contributions!

If you would like to post a biography, a self portrait or a few of your favorite shots, feel free to post in our People thread. You’ll also get the chance to read up on the other people who help make up this fantastic community. To learn about all the moderators who work hard to make this site run so smoothly, check out the Moderators Biography Page. To learn about any of our members, just click on their name in any thread.

We offer members the opportunity to set up a free Online Gallery! Feel free to post your own photos in your gallery, and receive ratings and feedback. Use the email function to send a link to your gallery to all your friends. And be sure to check out all the work of all the other photographers!

We have occasionally been known to play photography games and create photographic projects. Our largest ever project, Camera Around the World, is an on-going game of sending a community camera around the globe and having pr.com members take pictures with it - and its accompanying chaperon Rufus - and then posting those pictures in a single thread for all to see. For our ongoing monthly photo assignment, look at our Photo Project page for the current assignment as well as past assignments. There’s always the occasional No Words game, and an index here of all threads. We also have a running seasonal project called 24 Hours. If you missed the winter date, stay tuned for an announcement in the spring for your next chance to participate! Next date should be around April 14 of 2007. Click here to see what our past projects have looked like:
    The Original 24 Hours Project
    Another 24 Hours
    The Autumn 24 Hours 2006
    The Winter 24 Hours 2007
    The Spring 24 Hours 2007

We occasionally hold informal national meetings, or "photogatherings" at different places around the United States. There has even been talk of having photogatherings abroad. To see what gatherings are currently being discussed or planned check out the
    Photogathering Thread. And, please add your home location to our photographyREVIEW.com Members Map so we can help plan future gatherings.

Photographyreview is a great place to research, review, and learn. Check out our Learning section for buying guides and photography tutorials. If you are in the market for a new camera or other photography gear, please look at our comprehensive Reviews section. If you have a question, check out these FAQ’s:

What digital camera should I buy?
    Should I be shooting Raw or Jpeg?
    What is a Holga?!
    Help! I’m shooting my first wedding!
    Airport x-rays, film and digital media
    How do you store your images?
    Digital Imaging and Photoshop FAQ’s
    Home printing or online printing?
    Which online retailer should I use?
    How did you get started in photography?
    How much should I charge for my work?
    Who can help me with a bird id?
    Where can I see a list of members' websites?
    What kind of monitor do I need? LCD or CRT?
    Has anyone used an online stock photography agency?
    What are my rights as a photographer?
    How do I use Hyperfocal focusing?
    How do I use my camera's histogram?
    How do I post photos?
    How do I critique?
    How do I post reviews of my equipment?
    Where can I go to post FREE classifieds?

Still have a question? Use the Search drop-down in any forum to search for answers. Or go to Help.

Other discussions:
    The "Photoshopped" Thread
    The 50mm Lens War Thread
    Is it okay to bait wildlife for photography?
    Extension tubes: Experience and pictures
    Are black and white digital conversions over used?
    What is art? And how does it relate to photography?

We also have a list of specialized forums for whatever interests you in photography:

Viewfinder. Our home base, where we all come to chill. Feel free to post pictures, ask questions, share stories, chat about photography events, and share photography-related news.

Help. Still have a question we haven’t answered? Have a problem with your camera or other gear? Come to our Help section to get advice from other photographers!

Critique. One of the best ways to learn is to have your work critiqued by other photographers. If you are seeking feedback on your work, this is the place to go.

Is digital your thing? We have a forum dedicated just to Digital Photography. Shoot big digital? Check out our DSLR Forum. For digital workflow and computer-related topics, see our Digital Imaging and Computers Forum.

Are you a nature freak? Do you enjoy sitting for hours waiting for the right bird to land? Got a beautiful landscape shot you want to share? Check out Paul’s Nature and Wildlife Forum to meet fellow birders and wildlife photogs.

Artist? Does the aesthetic value of photography appeal to you more than the technical stuff? Do you have an artistic technique you’d like to share with others? Check out the Art Forum.

Do you shoot sports? If you’re an adrenaline junkie who needs a daily dose of everything from Formula One to mountain biking to softball, the Sports Forum has your fix.

Studio photographers and first-time home-lighting enthusiasts see our Studio and Lighting Forum for discussion and examples of what the perfect lighting can do for you.

We also have forums dedicated to:
    Internet and Web Design
    Digital Video
    Photo Business and Law
    Camera News and Rumors

For everything else, there’s the Off-Topic Forum, home of the American Idol discussion as well as politics and the occasional food fight.

Please take the time to explore the many features of our community. And remember, one of the best ways to support our site is to review your own equipment!

Welcome aboard! We look forward to seeing and hearing from you
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Welcome!!

Hi - I'm DDK...
    Actually my name is Diane Dupuis-Kallos but that's way too long... I work as a secretary in a high school in Montreal - so the kids started calling me ddk for short and it stuck...

I've always enjoyed taking photos - but I've been taking it much more seriously in the past 3 years. Took courses, workshops, read whatever I could get my hands on - drove other photographers nuts with questions - and then practiced practiced practiced. I feel comfortable saying I'm no longer a beginner... LOL!

I shoot with a Fuji S5200 10x zoom point and shoot which I really love but I know it has it limitations and although I don't want to (due to the weight, carrying around extra lenses, the dirt on the sensor, etc. etc.) I figure my next step will be a dslr... but not yet! Gotta keep buying those lotto tickets!

Thanks to AG for telling me about this place! I can't wait to have more time to explore and meet new people.

Bye for now!
    DDK
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Welcome to the forums DDK!!!

You are very welcome. It's a GREAT site! That's why I advised you to come here.
    I love it here and I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

The people here are FANTASTIC!

Hello DDK! Nice to have you aboard! We look forward to seeing your pictures! But, most importantly, we expect a whole bunch of "dirt" on your friend Alison here. She's a real troublemaker!

I hope you'll take the time to put something in the People thread about yourself. It's a great place to learn about our other members, too.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

You know I love ya Rick hehe
    You really made me smile

Thanks Alison and Rick!
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Hello!

My name is Amanda and I'm new to the board. I'm also pretty new to photography. I've been playing around and trying to learn as much as I can for a couple years now but unfortunately I've never been able to take a class. I feel like it's about time I actually get serious about it as a hobby so I've made the big and scary step of buying a digital SLR camera. After years of dreaming I finally did it a couple weeks ago and I love it! I bought the Canon Kiss X (Rebel XTi) and am getting comfortable with it despite its being so much more camera than I'm used to.

I can hardly wait to get into the board a bit more and learn as much as I can.

Amanda

Hi. I'm technically old school, but haven't logged in in over a year. Everytime I come back here, it seems as though we have a new and improved message board.

I'm still a film girl, by the way.

Hi. My name is Melody. I am new to photography. But look forward to learning. This is a wonderful site. The support and sharing is great.
    Melody

Hi all!

My name is Jay.

I've been using point and click for many years now and would like to think I have a good eye for photography. Just looking to take the next step in learning to take better photos.

Great site here and great support system. I look forward to learning a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneviere2
    Hello!

My name is Amanda and I'm new to the board. I'm also pretty new to photography. I've been playing around and trying to learn as much as I can for a couple years now but unfortunately I've never been able to take a class. I feel like it's about time I actually get serious about it as a hobby so I've made the big and scary step of buying a digital SLR camera. After years of dreaming I finally did it a couple weeks ago and I love it! I bought the Canon Kiss X (Rebel XTi) and am getting comfortable with it despite its being so much more camera than I'm used to.

I can hardly wait to get into the board a bit more and learn as much as I can.

Amanda
    Hi there Amanda,
    I am new to this board as well but I think I posted my intro in the wrong section.I have also just taken the plunge into SLR by purchasing a Canon EOS 350D,which I believe may be similar to your camera.Welcome from another newbie.

Hello everyone, my name is Dave and I am from Northern California and shoot with a Nikon D50 which my wife bought me for our first anniversary about 6 months ago. I always loved taking pictures but now I would like to get a little more serious. My goal is to master full manual mode I now take my camera and tripod everywhere I go. I am lucky to have lots of nature & beauty to shoot at work every day. My favorite things to shoot is oceans, animals and cars

Dave

Hdr
    Okinawa Photos

Wow alot of great information here! How did I not find this community online sooner!
    I have lived on OkinawaJapan for a long time. I am now going to put my pictures online. This is a personal Japan photo blog and cultural information resource. Okinawa is a beautiful island in the pacific, but for beautiful HDR photography from the island of Okinawa you really have to come see our work. Lots of artists contribute to our website in making Okinawa beautiful.

Thanks and hello to all. I'm a mixed bag of experience having come from a professional photography background in catalog work years ago with a strong graphics and computer bias. Been out of touch for a while and moved to the warmer climes of Phoenix AZ back in '98 (and lovin it) but health issues of my spouse have kept me busy over the years. Looking to get back into photography just for fine art and hobby use... relaxation. Wondered if anyone would share their recommendations for a good, reasonably priced digital slr with about 10mp and removable optics... or their best recommendations???

To keep on trying

Hey guys my Name is Gabriel.
    I'm 21 yrs old and I'm currently Mayoring on Sciences of the Mass media thechnology where it led me or push me for a better term to buy my first SRL.. and Dark room development, oh so many hrs!!

even if the semester is done i'm planning on continuing with photography, (I'll be taken Photo journalism next semester)

I found the site through google, not sure what I was looking for but hey I got here. great site you got here.

Hey. My name's Darrel and up until a couple of years ago my cameras were point-and-shoot, primarily for recording occasional family events (not much in the way of quality).

Two and a half years ago, I bought a digital (Powershot A80) just before our son's wedding and learned just enough about how to use it to take a lot of bad photos at his wedding. Since then, I've learned a lot more about using it but am interested in learning more about photography in general.

I look forward to looking in on you folks as time permits.

Hi all,
    My name is dinesh. this is my first time in any such forum or group so i am going through a learning phase with the activities here as well as the topic of discussion - photography. i am not too regular being online either so the process will be slow.

have been doing photography on and off since 1978 but had a long off period between 1988 and 2004. just no time with all the academics and getting into the career routine.

really love the site and goings on here. there's a lot to share and learn. will try to make to the most of it.:thumbsup:

Hi!
    My name is Nick and I've been itching to try out a new hobby since I left audio.
    I'm a newbie of course and I'm going to start out with a Nikon D80. My Sony crapcam doesn't have the potential to do much so I'm upgrading I guess.

I would love to learn how to take awesome shots like I've seen some of the people I know do.
    MY PORTABLE AUDIO STUFF:
    [ Team COOKIE LOVERS UNITE | Team Totally-Unnecessary | Team PINK-FI ]
    SOURCES: Sandisk Sansa E270 / Panasonic SV-SD770
    HEADPHONES: AKG K81DJ Recabled / JVC HA-FX33P / Mix-style V7 / Philips SHL9500
    AMPS: PA2v2 / Little Dot Micro+
    My feedbacks: Head-Fi | eBay | Audio T-Board

Hi all. I'm Kate. I am a Canadian living in Texas. I'm not working right now so my husband has been great about encouraging my photography. I don't get out and shoot as much as I should but I always love it when I do.

I guess I'm just here to pick a few pointers, maybe get some inspiration. People and portraits is what I love to shoot but I don't have any studio lights and so it can be tough.

I don't have a local gallery up but feel free to check out my PBase gallery - any comments and suggestions are more than welcome. Hopefully I'll get things set up here soon.

I look forward to learning from you all.
    Cheers!
    KagoGrl

New Links Added

Okay, I just added links to all 4 of our 24 Hours projects in the Welcome Thread. That way we can all go back and relive the good ole days whenever we want

I've also added permanent links to the "50mm lens war" thread and the "photoshopped" thread since they have both proven to be so popular and long-lasting. Congratulations guys!
    Walter Rick Long

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Talking Re: Welcome!!

Hello,

My name is Russ and I have been hooked on taking pictures since 2001 when I won a Canon PowerShot S200 at a company raffel. And even though it was only 2 MP I have taken some great shots. I then advanced to the Canon Rebel K2 35mm. I was still learning the features on it (It was my first none point and shoot camra) When my wife bought me the Canon Digital Rebel XT for Christmas. Gota luv the wife. I had great success with the 35mm with just using the auto settings. Got some killer pics on my son's 8th grade DC trip. Shot 10 rolls of film and would of shot more if the batteries hadn't died. Even though I had more camera with the Rebel XT 35mm versus the ole PowerShot it was hard going from Digital to 35mm. I am happy to be back in the world of Digital but plan to keep my 35mm. Looking forward with learning and sharing as I explore my new hobbie with all of you.

hi all,
    i've always been a fan of photography but never had the chance (or the money) to get a decent cam. but 2 months ago i got an EOS 400D and i am learning the basics now. the forum looks great, lots of info, n not a scary one for beginners.
    i expect to learn a lot here.
    cheers

Just wanted to say hello. Studied photography some, too many years ago to count, still remember quite a bit about it but very out of practice. Life and family seemed to get in the way. Just bought a Canon Rebel Xti, looking for new lenses. I have a busy few months coming up with a couple of trips, son and nephew graduating from Air Force boot camp, motorcycle rides, etc., hope to post a number of pics for you to pick over so I can learn. Haven't looked in here much yet but really like what I'm seeing.

deja view

First I want to thank all the posters. The posts on this site are very helpful. I have been taking photos on and off for more years than I care to mention...still using my original Canon AE-1 and kit; but my daughter has finally convinced me to go digital...so I'm looking to replace everything, and learn all over again. Primary nterests are youth sports (grandkids) and wildlife.....again thanks to the posters who have provided lots of input to help me make some decisions.

Hello Hello.

I have always loved photography and recently had a position where I was doing work for an auction house, working on their online/offline catalogs. I was using a Canon 10D and an XT while there, but have never owned a DSLR. I have been saving money and getting the lead out to finally pick one up, and I came across this site.

I would love to get back into shooting again, and ideally find a job that integrates photography and video games. I also love film and music.

Hope to be around a while. Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information