Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Portrait III

Portrait III

Mamiya 6 MF+50mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait III-strand1ep.jpg600.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 05-08-2006 at 08:38 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as Featured Photo For 2 May 2006

Re: Portrait III

You really are accomplished when it comes to covering all areas of the grayscale. I also enjoy that your subjects and the way you photograph them are a little abnormal. In regard to this: big girl on the beach. Not usually a place larger girls like to go because of the swim suit aspect (even though she isn't wearing one). I don't know that I'd change anything...maybe crop to the side a little so the subject isn't right in the middle...but I don't know.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

What a luscious Venus you have presented us with. The balance between horizon and wave line on the beach is beautiful. Lovely work.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fotowillem
    Mamiya 6 MF+50mm
    I have always wanted to comment on your wonderful portraits Willem, but I have never known quite what to say. So here goes...
    I very much enjoy this portrait, I like the expression she has on her face as well as her pose.
    I also think the compostion works, afterall, she is the subject. The enviorment is important, but not nearly so as she is to the portrait.
    Thanks for posting!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

This is such a fantastic print! Well done! I would really like to be able to offer up some suggestions for improvement, but I can't see anything at the moment. I'll revisit this if I do. Good choice using the slightly wide angle lens. It gives the picture a nice cinematic quality.
    Well deserving of the sticky! Congrats!
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

The sky is pretty well-handled, although grain can be seen, particularly toward the horizon.
    This may be a problem with your post-processing. The straight on angle means that her body is cut by the white lines created by the water, which is a problem. A different camera angle would have been better. As a portrait the major problem is the shadows, particularly around the eyes. The answer for that is either a reflector or a flash with high speed sync.:idea:

Ronnoco

Liz

I love your portraits Willem!

This is a great portrait (as usual). I'm so glad to see your posting on PR again. Please keep it up. I learn so much viewing your work.

Great job.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Fotowillem
    Mamiya 6 MF+50mm

Thread Information