Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    totally photography stupid!!!

Thumbs down Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

Let me tell you a lil story...make sure you take a seat...

first:

I place an order, all seems to be perfect, so just to make sure I email them and make sure they will ship to my present location (APO address being deployed to Iraq)
    =They never wrote back

So I go ahead and place the order, and figure they will get motivated when I flash money in their face...well that worked!!

About 3 days later I get an email from the place, saying "we are running into an issue with your shipping address not matching with your credit card"...no problem, actually I am glad they take the time to prevent fraud, so I do all the leg work ensureing the addy is on the account, and let them know...

1-2 weeks pass...Finally I am getting kinda pissed, so I go back to the website and find the camera for cheaper...I am thikning GREAT! I should be able to get a better deal now!

So..I place a new order (Now knowing for sure that the addy is on my account), and at the same time email them telling them to make sure and cancel the old order, becuase they obviously cant fix the issue with it...
    =For some crazy reason they cancel my NEW order, and process the old one "finally"

To add injury to insult, the email I sent them I made sure to "request the cancelation by order number" they had the odasity to reply to my email saying "we canceled the order (the New one, so it is the differnet order number) like you requested"

So here I am now finally with my camera being sent to me, but I paid an extra 30-50 bucks I think...but honestly I am to the point where I just want my damn camera! But I write them a letter telling them what they did and how the screwed up...
    = NOTHING in reply... they refuse to reply to any of my emails at all, let alone admitting their mistake or purposly overcharging me

I get the camera finally, open it up, read the instructions (yes I do that) and one of the standard items in box is a 32mg SD card....hhhhmmmmmm but there is none???

So...I email them again telling them of their earlier mistakes, and about the missing SD card, they then finally email me back (ignorning my coments of the earlier problems) and tell me that they dont remove anything, and if I am unhappy I can send it back!!!!

So in the end I did get my camera, but I paid about 30 dollars more than it cost (at time it was processed!!!!) didnt get the Standard SD card that is supposed to be in box, and completley lost all respect for the Customer service department of that business!!

PLAN...I will find who owns their corporation and forward my complaints alogn with my emails from/to them!

Angry Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

PRESTIGE CAMERA IS BAD, DITTO!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with the above comment about their customer service. After being transferred four times and talking to several people, I inquired about my order that was placed a week ago. They wanted to confirm my address/billing and said it would arrive in 7-10 days. I asked why it hadn't already been shipped. They said I had not confirmed the order with them. I explained that I spoke to Bernard by phone on the day of the order. The supervisor, who was a total jerk, (forgot to get his name), was told that I spoke with Bernard by phone the very same day. He said according to his computer I didn't. I explained that I had in fact did because Bernard was trying to sell up and get me to buy a larger battery. The supervisor basically was calling me a liar. All I wanted was for them to ship my camera that was already a week late by express shipping at their expense. They refused and then discredited my conversation/verification of the order with Bernard on the phone. Of course Bernard was not in today. I cancelled my order.

I believe they deliberately did not put my order through because I did not "buy up" or meet Bernard's quota. The supervisor in customer "support" chose to lose an order and blame the customer over a simple request to ship my camera at their expense because they screwed up. DO NOT SHOP AT PRESTIGE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

DO NOT BUY from Prestige Camera. There company and all other
    names they sell under are not as good as they sound. They make sure you call them to confirm shipping addresses and then use high pressure sales tactics to hike up
    prices. May seem cheaper at first, but it the long run they tack on other
    minor fees, and restocking fees when they ship incorrect accessories. Customer Service dept won't return calls, and lie about product brands, especially on extra batteries.

(Another customers dealing with Prestige)
    http://www.aestheticdesign.com/prestige-camera.html

Prestige Camera also does business under these names:
    A&M Photo World
    Broadway Photo
    Cameratopia
    Digital Liquidators LLC
    Ghu, LLC
    Preferred Photo
    Regal Camera
    Tronicity

My mom ordered a $350 camera from them years ago and was pressured into a final bill of $750 including accessories and warrantees. Stay clear of Prestige Camera!!!

wow me and my friend ordered cameras from them and i had no problems

Thumbs down Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

I took a few minutes to register for this forum just so I could add my review about Prestige Camera.

Before Christmas 2006 I had previously bought 2 digital cameras from Prestige Camera with no trouble. Sure I had to call in to verify my order and listen to a sales pitch trying to upgrade my warranty and battery and all that nonsense. But I hadn't been pressured into anything and walked away a satisfied (and slightly annoyed about the phone calls) customer.

Then I had a horrible experience with Prestige Camera a couple weeks before Xmas 2006. I was shopping around for a camera for a family member for Christmas. Of course Prestige Camera had about the lowest price and since I had already bought 2 cameras from them I figured I'd give it a try. I ordered a Canon digital camera, received the email I expected about calling to verify my order, and made the call. But after 35 minutes on hold, this time, rather than letting me just say no that I didn't want an extended warranty or battery, they informed me that I had purchased an international version of the camera and all the documentation would come in Japanese so did I want to upgrade to the USA version for another $25... which of course baffled me since there was no indication on the order page that the camera was not the USA version. I asked the sales man how this was possible and his response was terrible at best: "we carry both international and US version." But why didn't my order indicate what version? Again no answer. After attempting to get some answers from him for about 20 minutes he explained to me that he had several calls in queue and needed to know whether I wanted the camera I ordered or not. Of course I want the camera but I don't want to unexpectedly pay another $25 to get what I thought I had ordered. He placed me on hold. And then HUNG UP ON ME. I called back in. 25 minutes on hold. Switched to another department. 15 more minutes on hold. Switched again back to sales. No answers. And I said I just wanted to cancel any upgrades the first incompetent sales man had upgraded on my order and just send me the international version for the original lower price. They agreed... and then charged me the upgrade I had canceled and sent me the international version.

So after almost 2 hours on the phone, I was upgraded $25 and received the wrong camera for that price.

Remember, I was a REPEAT CUSTOMER with a strong likelihood I would buy from Prestige Camera again, but never again. Don't be tempted by the low prices on the website. They will force you into higher prices once you call in to "verify" your order.

Imagine walking into a local retail store where you grab something off the shelf to order and when you get to the cash register, the employee swaps your item with something more expensive, rings up the higher price, and then hands you the cheaper item you originally wanted for the higher price of the second item. Does that ever happen? Well it happens all the time with Prestige Camera. Buyer BEWARE.

I have my own story.

I bought a Nikon D40 a little over 3 weeks ago from Prestige Camera on the recommendations of an ex-coworker, she bought her Canon Digital Rebel there. She said they would try to sell me extra stuff, etc.

Ok, I bought it - one of the best prices on the internet. I had to call to "confirm" the order. Pretty lame, I was braced for a knuckle-dragging hard-closer kind of call. I talked with "Donald" who told me the battery life was "really bad" and that I needed a third-party battery for $150. Uh...I pass, just send me the camera.

I got it shortly thereafter and seemed fine (still does). However, I noticed a firmware update on dpreview.com and it made sense to install it. Great! I figure if an engineering-oriented company like Nikon has a firmware update I better do it.

So I go to the Nikon-usa site, register, try to download the firmware and get this message:

"You have not registered for any valid North American Nikon Products. Please click ere to register for a Nikon product."

H'mm...since I had already registered, I knew something was wrong. I e-mailed Prestige Camera (who is closed on Saturday...huh?) and gave them all the info.

Then I did a bit of work, e-mailed a Nikon expert on the web (who has an article on the gray market) and figured out this:

(1) I bought a camera that "who knows" where exactly is came from.

(2) That there is no way that I can get a Nikon USA warranty on this camera, and that if it fails, the best I can do it talk to Nikon Japan and see if I can get it fixed.

So....while I am happy with the camera (and I downloaded the firmware update from another region a little less discerning that Nikon-USA), LIVE AND LEARN! Pay the extra $, buy from a reputable dealer like B&H and get the real deal!

I purchased a Sanyo Xacti HD2 from them for $569. I took the ShopcartUsa.com rating as gospel - over 1000 ratings and all 5 stars!

When I called, I placed the order. He asked if I needed anything else. I told him a battery and a memory card. I was thinking - what a great price! - and we discussed the particulars.

He then told me he was sending a 2GB SD Delkin memory card for $119.00. I asked him about other 2 GB cards that sold for less. He told me they were generic cards - this one is designed to work for the camcorder I purchased. I also ordered a battery. Thank goodness I ordered the cheaper of the two. I ordered it and asked to be sent overnight.

I did a bunch of research on memory cards overnight. I found the Delkin 2GB Xtra SD for about $110 - $125. I figured it was an okay deal.

I got the package in the mail the next day. I had a Transcend 2GB SD card that you can buy at Amazon for $15.

I called them and they said the Transcend cards were better. That I got an "error free" card that sold for about $150. I asked if I called Transcend that they would verify this. He wouldn't comment. I called Transcend and gave them the serial number for the item. He told me it retails for $17-$20.

I called back. Angry. I asked for the supervisor - who - cut me off in mid-sentence and kept me on hold for 10 minutes. I then got switched to 4 other customer service reps who kept me on the line for another 20 minutes. I think they thought I'd give up. In the mean time, I researched the battery they sent me. They charged me $55 for a battery I can buy at Amazon for $22.

I finally got the supervisor - Leon - he said his name was. Him and I went back and forth for another 30 minutes. He eventually admitted that they mark up their products/accessories to make money. I got $40 off my order and another SD card that retails for $25.

He was right about one thing. I was rooked and there was no getting out of it. I already spent $48 in overnight shipping. I would HAVE TO return the WHOLE thing - not simply the card and the battery. I would be subject to a 5% restocking fee plus the shipping and handling. That would come to about another $60. ONCE I PLACED MY ORDER I WAS DONE. There was nothing I could do about it.

I am happy with the camcorder - so far. I did file something with the Better Business Bureau. In fact, I asked him about it. He hemmed and hawed as if he didn't know who regulated their company.

WATCH OUT!

DO NOT USE THIS PLACE!! They operate under several names. I ordered a camera from them and was sent an email to call and confirm the order. They tried to sell me an xd card at an inflated price, a lithium battery (aa size) for the same outrageous price and when I declined the offer I was told I was getting an imported camera and if I wanted English written instructions I had to pay $25.00 more for that. I ordered from the USA from a dealer in the USA ( I think) so I expect it to be written in English. Stay away from these scam dealers. Check reviews before ordering. I did get the order canceled. I got the same camera from a well known retailer on their web site shipped to the store in 3 days and spent about $20.00 more but saved that in shipping costs.
    Terry

DO NOT TRADE WITH THIS COMPANY
    Sold my elderly grandmother $3200 worth of camera and accessories worth only $1000 on Amazon. When I called to return the goods, to help her out, they said yes but at a cost of $500. Ended up having a phoncall with someone from customer services who got abusive towards me. I'm having my legal team look at it as its all outragous sales from an outragious company. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!

I got duped also. I let them talk me into spending an extra $125 (total of $625) for a sony hc96 video cam. they sold a Package: Two extra batteries (I only received one that doesn't work and was not long life as they stated), an extra 1 year warranty (no paperwork or referring program), a lense protector that the camera doesn't use, and a cheap little tripod. Something has to be done about these people. I am thinking of contacting the FBIs
    office of internet fraud. I contacted prestige to complain and got the same nonsense about being charged 5% for restocking and what a great deal I got. The guy had some serious attitude.

This company is so bad, I wrote the New York Attorney General. This link says it better than I can.

Curious if anyone does look at store reviews before purchasing?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Thumbs down Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

Some of you guys have more patience than I do. I shopped around the internet and decided on a Prestige Camera. They didn't have the absolutely lowest advertised price but their web site SEEMED legit. WRONG!

I won't bother to repeat all the horror stories others have posted except to say that I experienced them myself and will never again give Prestige Camera a second glance.

"DON'T DO IT" WHAT YOU SEE HERE, I HAVE A FEELING IS VERY TRUE ABOUT PRESTIGE CAMERA! I HAD MY PROBLEM WITH AN ORDER, BUT I CANCELLED MY DEBIT CARD AS SOON AS I WAS OFF THE PHONE WITH THE SALES REP FOR PRESTIGE CAMERA. "PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFULL"! THINGS YOU READ ARE NOT SO TRUE. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY AND SHOP SAFE

[QUOTE=Orgnoi1]Curious if anyone does look at store reviews before purchasing?

Yes, I was getting ready to order a Canon G9 for my mom's birthday and decided to see if there were any reviews on the seller. Fortunately I came across this site before ordering. They just lost a $500 sale.

Ok, so I bought a Nikon D40 kit from Prestige Camera back in May 2007. I'm an amateur photographer on a budget, so I went shopping around, and when I saw that they offered this package for $100 less than everyone else, I jumped at the chance. I placed my order, and the site stated that the camera camera came with a warantee, I was pleased as piss because even it obviously had to be a legit Nikon Product right? We'll get back to that in a minute.

So the next day I get the infamous sales call. As it turns out, the camera advertised for the price I expected (although this was never mentioned on their website) was NOT an English language camera, so regrettably I was forced to go with the English camera, as I don't read Japanese. By this time, I was only saving $25 dollars from full retail, and by the time shipping was calculated, I would have spent the same amount to just go to best buy and buy the camera, but I thought, "What the hell, I've already come this far, I might as well just finish the transaction."

So I get the camera in a very timely fashion, and was pleased with it for a number of months, and then I got a mirror-lock-up issue with the camera, so it's not in very good working order. I think, no problem. . . I'll just take my camera and this neat little warantee card down to the Nikon service center (which is two hours from where I live) and I'll get the issue fixed, no problem. So I take the two hour trek to El Segundo, CA and I am subsequently embarrassed when the nice attendant told me that they would not honor my warantee, as I was the buyer of a "grey-market" product. So I say, "well OK, how much will it be if I pay to have it repaired?" They won't even touch my camera, like it was cursed or something. So I call Prestige and describe my situation. And of course, they say "Hey no problem, just send it in and we'll repair it for you!" So I gather up my camera and all the accessories it came with, made a list of everything included in the box, took the box, open, to a mail service place with a notary, had the notary acknowledge all the contents of the box, the date, and the place i was sending the package to, and I signed it with a witness and had the letter notarized. Then I had the package overnighted with signature required for delivery. A little overkill you say? These are not ethical or even tolerable people by any means, and there's no way I'd trust them with $600 again. Anyway, it's been 5 weeks since they received it, and I'm going on a trip where I need my camera in 4 days. Every time I call to check status I am told to call back in one or two days. Every time I ask to speak with a supervisor, I'm forwarded to a mailbox that doesn't accept voicemails!!! Prestige camera is a shady company and I would recommend that everybody on the internet boycott them, hopefully they'll get what they deserve and go out of business with a bang.

Did I mention that they are EXTREMELY rude and condescending? This is the most frustrating retail experience I've ever encountered.:mad2:

Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!! - Very Bad

TOKINA AT-X 124 AF PRO DX LENS saga

I got the sales call, wilted and agreed to purchase a different version of lens that was USA warrantied and not gray market, for an extra $50, now the sale was not a deal.

The lens arrives with Japanese instructions and warranty cards.

The USA distributor is quite spicfic about not honoring the warranty from a gray market reseller. They list all authorized resellers http://www.thkphoto.com/

And the lens is defective, it will not focus correctly.

So now I need to either pay for service or send it to PC and hope they get it right this time.

After I placed my online order I got confirmation email stating that order can not be proccessed until I called customer service and verified my address and get customer service's "approval". Every call takes at least 30min. and more Like most of the other online stores selling desent priced camcorders, this one claimed it is in stock and it will be shiped today, and then I was told that I needed to buy an accessory, at least a 2 hour battery that was on sale for half price for only 79,- and I should really consider purchasing it. I said I was not currently interessted in an extra battery, so I was told by the customer rep that I really should get one because the "original" one would only last 20min.
    After I said "NO, Thank you" the rep confirmed that the camcorder would be shipped that day and we ended the call. Next day I get an email claiming that the camcorder would not be available for another 3 to 4 weeks. So I had to call back, again, wait on the line, again, for about 35min. so I could cancel my order.
    The three times I called customer service it took at least 30min on the phone, on hold for that long, to being able to speak to someone.
    The point of this company is that with the affordable base item they are baiting you into ordering more expensive and NON Name brand accessories that you can get a lot less expensive else where. For a 2GB SD Memory Card for the Camera they want 350,- for example, and I bought mine a few weeks ago in Best Buy for 16,-...
    So unless you buy their overpriced accessories the ordered item suddenly will not be in stock any longer and then the ordered item will not be available for another 3 to 4 weeks, although it shows "in stock" on their webpage, still.

Angry Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

Now I find out!!!!
    I just purchased a SONY T-200 from Prestige Camera. I realized that I needed more memory and probably more battery, etc. But that took a camera which they advertised at $194.00 with free shippnig to $549.99 + 50.00 handling and insurance. I figure what Igot was worth about $338.97. I have not called them as ye, but from what I read it isn't going to do good to complain.
    Does anyone know who owns these companies? Has anyone reported them to the BBB?
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to proceed to get a refund?

Bob Madden

I saw a TV I wanted for a great price($662) so I puchased it from Prestige Camera's website on 9/9/08.
    I got an email from them saying to confirm my order. (this is part of their bait and switch technique).
    When I called this salesman told me that I entered the wrong zip code on my order. (lie)
    Then he asked me if I wanted to purchase a wall bracket for the LCD TV and I told him I will use the pedestal. He said it doesn't ship with a pedestal (lie) and would I like to upgrade to the retail version of the TV. I thought about it and then said OK.
    One hour later I called my bank to see if I could block Prestige Camera from charging my card and the lady at the bank said they have already put a hold on the money and there is nothing the bank can do for me.
    So I called Prestige Camera and asked them to cancel my order.
    Dax at Prestige Camera said it was too late the TV had already shipped. (lie) acording to the UPS tracking it was not picked up for another 4 or 5 hours.
    I asked Dax if he would price match another vendor's price and credit back $20 to my account. He said he would. (lie)
    All I can do at this point is to refuse shipment. They will probably keep at least $150 of my money. They may not want to give any of my money back.
    They are also selling gray market merchandise and not telling the consumer that they will have no warranty.
    Please Please Please read these reviews!
    Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!
    http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/prestige-camera/r/3670/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/prestige-camera-brooklyn-2
    They go by many names
    www.bwayphoto.com
    www.buyeRetail.com
    www.amphotoworld.com
    www.cameratopia.com
    www.digitalliquidators...
    www.kingcameras.com
    www.preferedphoto.com
    www.preferredphoto.com
    www.prestigecamera.com
    www.regalcamera.com
    www.thedigitalexpo.com
    www.tronicity.com
    www.wilddigital.com
    Please stop these people they are doing a lot of harm.
    Thank you
    Rick
    Sent to the Federal Trade Commission and the FBI

Unhappy Re: Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!

After they refused to do anything (Oh, they did offer me a camera, didn't say what kind) I have turned over my report to the FTC, BBB, ICCC, NCL, AARP, & KOMO4TV (local TV consumer complaints). I don't expect much, but I willkeep trying and will complain to any one who will listen and/or do something about it. Keep fighting!!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hope you both can spread the word everywhere you can find.
    Too many times, people find this site too late.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

08-06-2008. I ordered a Samsung 50” HD TV from PRESTIGECAMERA.COM because it showed the best price on the EveryPrice.com web site and the Users’ Rating seemed very high. Although it’s the first time I saw the EveryPrice.com web site I placed the order. Mistake #1! The next day I received a email asking me to contact them by phone. That’s when I was told that there’s no Samsung warranty and tried to sell their own expensive warranty. Then I was told a lot of accessories, including the pedestal, were all extras.

Before long I started to get a bad feeling so I asked to cancel the order. Now here’s the best part: He hung up on me without a word. Of course I initially thought in was cut off by mistake so I waited for 5 minutes for him to call back. When it didn’t happen I called him back and asked whether I was cut off. He said “You wanted to cancel this order so it was cancelled as of today”. In other words he actually hang up on me when I asked for the cancellation. Bad Mistake on my part. Buyers…BEWARE! I don’t know how EveryPrice.com came up with such high Merchant Ratings from thousands of users for PrestigeCamera. Check Merchant’s rating in other places!

WOW

I'm so Glad i read this review first!

I was about to order from Prestige Camera because they were offering a new camera cheaper than a used one at KEH
    Thanks for your warnings!:thumbsup:
    Although expensive, Adorama and B&H have always did me good.

I Just wanted to say, THANK YOU ,to you all
    for not keeping quiet and for recording your experiences.
    Your warnings found a hearing ear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information