Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: SR-71 Blackbird

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

SR-71 Blackbird

Shot recently at the Smithsonian. I have always found it difficult to get good shots of large objects in indoor venues. The cluttered backgrounds, the people in the foreground, arrrgh.

For this, since there was a catwalk, I thought I might portray the plane's strength by making it look imposing symmetrical, broad shouldered, and forcing those meddling people as small as possible to the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 02-26-2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as Featured Phot For 19 Feb 2006
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: SR-71 Blackbird

Nice one, Loupey. I like your idea for the shot. We've got one here in Kalamazoo, but the lighting was really subdued, and it was nearly impossible to get a good shot. Without my tripod I couldn't get a shot that wasn't blurred. I'm going to try it again at a later date, and hopefully I'll have some of your success.
    John

Talking Re: SR-71 Blackbird

Loupey,

I like this! Very nice shot of an awesome aircraft. I like the symmetry of the aircraft, the lighting works for me, and the people are definitely subdued by it's presence.

What lens and focal length was this shot with/at? Did you try any wider shots, to make the fuselage look longer and the people smaller?
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Foto Info

Thanks, guys

The info on this shot (from Canon's file view software):

Tv( Shutter Speed )
    1/20
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Center-weighted averaging
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    24.0 - 85.0 mm
    Focal Length
    24.0 mm

Pretty basic - because I only had this one lens with me at the time and no tripod, I just rested the camera on the hand rail for support. I wish I had my 17-40 back then.

From two other views:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

See my website HERE.

Featured Photo!

These are all really good. I like how you included the people in the photos. To me, that makes the photo much more interesting. And I'm choosing the Featured Photo this week. You get the nod - but not for the first image - it's the third one that works best for me. I like how the lines of the plane sraw my eye up and to the people in the background. Then I go back for another look at the plane. It's an excellent composition and your exposure is great. Very, very nice.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Shot recently at the Smithsonian. I have always found it difficult to get good shots of large objects in indoor venues. The cluttered backgrounds, the people in the foreground, arrrgh.

For this, since there was a catwalk, I thought I might portray the plane's strength by making it look imposing symmetrical, broad shouldered, and forcing those meddling people as small as possible to the background.

Hello Loupey, Congrats for the sticky! I am not a plane enthusiast but I don't think that one can resist the Blackbird, it is so unique. I too enjoy the inclusion of people in the shot, it allow a sense of scale and the people almost looks like aliens against the plane or vice versa... I'll go with PhotoJohn and say that the third one is the best, followed by the second and then the first...
    Although being enjoyable, the first one seems somewhat cluttered, the relation betwen the planne and the open space is a bit weird. The two others picture breathe better so to speak. Nice lighting btw.

Seb

Holy crap, Loupey!!!!! You just joined this month and you got a sticky already?? Gotta be some kind of record. Way to go.
    John

Thanks, All!

Never expected a sticky! As I expressed in one of my earliest posts, I'm just tickled to be able to share images with other people who love photography in general.

As you may have noticed, I love to give advice (even when one is not asked, as my wife reminds me from time to time) so I'll keep posting replies and images with info with hope it helps someone.

Thanks again,
    Loupey

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey

Someplace I do have a slide of one taking off about 1969, but it's very small taken with a normal lense. I'm going to have to find it......

GRF

Congrats on the sticky. i like the second shot best for the point of view interests me more. But all the shots are good and i like the symetry you went for. Good dynamic perspectives.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

And the featured photo . Take a bow, son.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    And the featured photo . Take a bow, son.
    John
    The Featured Photo and a sticky are one and the same. If you haven't yet, take a look at the Featured Photo Archive >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The Featured Photo and a sticky are one and the same. If you haven't yet, take a look at the Featured Photo Archive >>
    Thanks, PJ. I knew the sticky was up before the fp, but wasn't aware of the procedure.
    John

Awesome capture loupey! Doesn'tg hurt that it's my favorite aircraft ever.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information