Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Thread: Abe's of Maine

Abe's of Maine

I recently purchased a camera and additional items from Abe's of Maine. I would like everyone to know that not only did I get a good price it was a very positive experience talking with them during the ordering process. I ask many questions and received polite answers to everything that was ask. There was no pressure at all and the salesman didn't try to push any extras to run up the bill.

I would like to add that all accessories that were supposed to come with the camera were there as stated. When I ask if there was anything additional that was available for my camera he mentioned some lens I could get and gave me an exceptionally good price on them.

When I received my order the lens were shown as shipped and were not in the box. I called back and again was politely helped and the lens sent out overnight to correct the problem.

Bottom line is that I was very impressed with each contact I made with them. My questions were all answered, I was given very good prices, my one problem was promptly corrected and I am one very satisfied customer. I would highly recommend dealing with these folks and look forward to dealing with them again myself.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Abe's of Maine

Thanks for posting this Grandpaw. We get a lot of feedback, and warnings about the "bad apples" out there, and not enough positive feedback on the good ones!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Like Michael says, we usually only hear the horror stories so it's nice to set the record straight. A local camera club bought an LCD projector from them (I'm almost positive it was them, anyway) and didn't have the greatest experience - but I can't believe that that's normal or they wouldn't be around too long. Not to say that other dealers don't deserve a bad rap, but...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Like Michael says, we usually only hear the horror stories so it's nice to set the record straight. A local camera club bought an LCD projector from them (I'm almost positive it was them, anyway) and didn't have the greatest experience - but I can't believe that that's normal or they wouldn't be around too long. Not to say that other dealers don't deserve a bad rap, but...
    That's funny. Up until recently I had never seen anything good written about Abe's. I have read that Abe's pays for good reviews and thus have been getting some, but have no personl experience with it. I know at another site I frequent, people register, leave a good comment about Abe's and never participate in any way at the site again. Ifyou look at reselleratings.com, its a horor story at Abe's.

The only thing I can go by is the experience that I had and it was very good! No I haven't been paid to say anything. I can assure you if it was a bad experience you would have heard about it.

Again at no time was I ask or pressured to buy anything extra with my order. The one problem that did come up was apologized for and he sent out the missing item overnight and was actually more than what he said it would be.

I did check the reviews before I ordered and the were good. Hope everyone has the same results.

NOTE:
    I would like to add some information that may be important! When I was placing my order for my camera I ask for a fast one gig card, an additional extra high capacity battery, and a filter to protect my lens. Due to this maybe he just didn't have the need to ask me to buy these items. The salesman answered all my questions and seemed knowledgeable. Then I ask if there was anything else available for my camera and he mentioned the extra lens, but only after I had ask. I would like to say again that after seeing that the lens were not shipped I notified him and he apologized and the problem was promptly corrected.
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 01-21-2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add information

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    NOTE: I would like to add some information that may be important!
    That may explain why your transaction with them went smoother - I hesitate to deal with anyone other than B&H or Calumet but I understand accessories are the usual problem area. Good that you didn't jump to conclusions about why the lens wasn't there. It's amazing to me why some people call up someone to get help from someone and only want to chew them out. That wouldn't make me want to help too much...

I just purchased from Abe's of Maine, last saturday(Feb 11th) I ordered the Rebel xt(black), on line.
    They had an excellent price and I figured with the money saved that I could get the 2.0 gig mem. card from Amazon.

Wednesday I was called by AoM and I spoke to Steve, he confirmed my order, asked if I needed memory and recommended an upgrade to a Sigma lens, which I declined.

My camera arrived Friday Feb.17th. Very pleased with the service no hard sell, I noticed before I purchased that some of the feedback had been negative, but I was impressed with them.

I would use them again. Recommended.

Tony

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

We could really, really, do with a green thumbs UP icon for good news !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I bought a camera kit advertised as ‘available’, as just about everything on their site is listed. This does NOT mean in stock, like most would think. (they have since changed many listings to 4-12 days) They then proceeded to order the item themselves, and then after they received it, shipped it out to me. I had to wait 2 full weeks for it. They would not upgrade the shipping. They charged my credit card within an hour of placing the order. I wonder if that’s illegal or a violation of VISA policy. They called with the phony excuse of ‘confirming information’ and proceeded to give me the hard sell and ‘bait & switch’. They also overcharged my credit card, and now, a month later I am still waiting for a refund. They say it’s ‘in process’, a similar story I’ve read in other feedback now with other merchant raters. One rep even told me that they don’t offer ‘price protection’ and that she was looking at the product on her computer now, and it was listed at the higher amount that they charged me. I looked while on the phone and the item was still listed at it’s original price. She has apparently been trained to tell this lie. When I told her she was lying, she put me on indefinite hold. Then a salesman gave me the ‘in process’ story again. The email receipt/confirmation of order I received from them when I ordered it matched the original price. When checking my account on their own website it showed the original price. The invoice that came in the box, however, showed the higher amount. This has been my worst internet shopping experience ever!!

Angry Re: Abe's of Maine

Even their name is phony. They are located in NYC. Famous for 40 plus years for removing items from mfgr's packaging and selling separately as needed accessories. The penultimate bait and switch experts. The spots of a leopard never chamge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Herman
    Even their name is phony. They are located in NYC. Famous for 40 plus years for removing items from mfgr's packaging and selling separately as needed accessories. The penultimate bait and switch experts. The spots of a leopard never chamge.
    I got caught up with some of these NY places one year and my co-worker got the raw deal from Abe's himself. He wound up only saving $20 (compared to a reputable dealer) after outrageous shipping charges and then had huge hassles with the items.

So when I hear good reviews, It's blows my mind...but maybe they have changed? I'm sure they give you outstanding service when you buy all the accessories that they wanna stuff down your throat.

On a side note: "Abe's of maine" LOL, Honest Lincoln and an honest state.....Talk about trying to create a perception!

Here is one 'other' place with a lot of reviews:

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-o...e%27s+of+Maine

...and if a person bought a 'high-power' second battery for a camera, he/she got 'took.'

JerryLi,

Thank you for the link.. I think that it is VERY helpful...

Thanks....Phil

Angry Re: Abe's of Maine

Anyone raving about the good service they got , did not check their receipt for mega over charges....we got 200.00 in bogus charges and neglected to send the camera case.........sleeze balls slinking around the internet.....your better off buying 2nd hand on ebay
    Psyche

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I hesitate to deal with anyone other than B&H...
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryLi
    Here is one 'other' place with a lot of reviews:
    And another: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2003.html

You must be joking. I will never order from that place again! Their computer inventory is not updated in real time so when you order something that the system says is in stock it usually isn’t. Then, three days later after your order has been confirmed, paid for and you assumed it was on its way, you get an email saying it is out of stock. They then have the nerve to try to bait and switch you to an inferior product you didn’t want in the first place.

Good luck trying to contact their customer service. Make sure you have all day to wait, a speaker phone so your ear doesn’t wear out while on hold, and prepared to talk to some robot who won’t help you anyhow if they ever do answer.

Clearly, Abe's is only interested in selling to you once. There are so many professional operations out there such as B&H, Beach, Adorama, etc. You’d be better off going to Best Buy than Abe’s. Do not waste your time with this place!!!! Learn from my mistake.

Update on Abe's

When I posted the original thread everything in it was just as I stated. I would like to say that either I had a lucky day when I called or something has changed. Abes is now on the NOT RECOMMENDED list and a site I would avoid using. When I used them it was two years ago and had no problems but evidently things are not the same.

NOTE: This thread was so long ago that I had forgotten about it but the above is my update. Anyone wanting to buy should read the thread below first. Also I wasn't a Camera Dealer Feedback moderator two years ago when I posted that thread, Jeff

Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Darn good thing you have this thread going...because it changed my mind about dealing with Abe's.
    I usually buy from B&H and wanted to pick up the Canon G-9 for a spare camera but it's out of stock and I didn't want to wait.
    Abe's had it and at a slightly better price than B&H.
    But after reading numerous reviews on Abe's, I'll wait for B&H, thanks very much... They've always treated me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversend
    Darn good thing you have this thread going...because it changed my mind about dealing with Abe's.
    I usually buy from B&H and wanted to pick up the Canon G-9 for a spare camera but it's out of stock and I didn't want to wait.
    Abe's had it and at a slightly better price than B&H.
    But after reading numerous reviews on Abe's, I'll wait for B&H, thanks very much... They've always treated me well.
    Glad you found us and we were Able LOL to help you. Welcome to our site and hope you can stick around and be an active member. Everyone has information to share and things to learn so welcome aboard, Jeff

Thanks for posting this Grandpaw. We get a lot of feedback.

Here's the funny thing, my friend recently bought a D80 on Abe's of Maine and he recieved it without fuss and at a great price. I would have to say it was a flawless experience.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Seems their ratings at reseeler.com have come up lately. Overall 7.4 but 8.7 in last 6 months. Maybe they are straightening their act out.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Looks like their Abe's of Maine ratings went up a bit... I don't know how trustful these ratings are, but decided to purchase from them. The price on Lumix FZ70 was $175, compared to $250 at Amazon so I made the call. Got the camera next week and I'm quite happy with it. The actual price on their website was $199 but I got a discount of $25. Just contacted them on their Facebook page and asked if I can get a coupon. They were willing to sell and I was more than happy to buy at that price. So if anyone decides to buy from Abe's, contact them on FB and ask for a discount.

ok dude why not
    http://www.folkd.com/user/shaunmichael5
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3f0h4x/
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/lists/1750262053624629392
    https://www.pinterest.com/shaunmichael881/
    http://shaunmichael.newsvine.com/

Thread Information