Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Amy's Photography

Hey! I'm new with a picture to be critiqued!

Hey! My name is Amy, I'm 17 yrs old, I've just recently started with photography and I was wondering what you thought of this picture:

Thanks so much for looking!

~Amy
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-18-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo For 19 Dec 2005 - Merry Christmas!

Re: Hey! I'm new with a picture to be critiqued!

Hey, this is a great wintry image.

I think the composition could have been improved slightly by allowing us to see the right hand edge of the rightmost seat. I also reckon that the photo could do with a little more contrast and sharpening slightly.

I hope my comments are helpful, welcome to the forum

Chris
    Currently playing with new S9500

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Ayglnu13
    Hey! My name is Amy, I'm 17 yrs old, I've just recently started with photography and I was wondering what you thought of this picture:

~Amy

This is really well seen and the tones are especially moody. I wouldn't change a thing regarding contrast and luminosity. The sharpness suit the scene allright. The slight softness enhance the mood of the picture I think. About the croped seat, I can't figure out if it's an issue or not. It would normally annoy me but in this case, it didn't jumped to my eye until Hindey mentioned it and even then, I can't say that it distract me.

Interesting stuff!

Seb

Just starting out, digital slr and photography is one of your occupations. How times have changed. Well Amy, you are off to a terrific start indeed becauce this is a very mature picture. You have a good eye and things look very promising.
    Very well done indeed.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Amy's Photography

The DSLR was something I saved up for And I listed photography as my occupation because I make money off of it, so far I've done family portraits, senior pictures, dance portraits, pet portraits, and I've even sold some of my land scapes I guess I'm just lucky.

~Amy

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Welcome to PR.com!
    This is a good and interesting photograph.
    I like the lines from the swing set and the mood that is created from the snow and light.
    It looks to be printed well too.
    Good Luck with your photographic journey, I hope it is a long one that is includes us!
    I look forward to seeing more from you.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

The left seat is also cut off, so perhaps a little wider angle might have cured that, but that is about the only bad thing I could say. B & W makes this a much more appealing photo than color. You did a good job there, and like everyone else, I think the mood is just right.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Just starting out, digital slr and photography is one of your occupations. How times have changed. Well Amy, you are off to a terrific start indeed becauce this is a very mature picture. You have a good eye and things look very promising.
    Very well done indeed.
    Tom
    Very true Tom! This is exactly what I have thought. My pictures were so awfully lame (minor few exception) when I was "four months old" as a photographer.

That's a most impressive start Amy!

regards

Seb

Great first shot and welcome to the boards. The only thing I find distracting is the support beam on the right hand side in the foreground. I know it's tough to avoid, but maybe a more head-on shot would have prevented that (though I'm sure than the background wouldn't be as clean). I'm not sure if it's your cam or just the shadows, but it looks like a little bit of vingetting, though I think it's the shadows. Overall, great first shot and welcome to the boards!

Jared

This scene is not easy to compose and it requires a good eye to see it ... well i guess you've done vey well over here !! Did i hear 17 ... ?????

Amy's Photography

Quote Originally Posted by juzzus
    This scene is not easy to compose and it requires a good eye to see it ... well i guess you've done vey well over here !! Did i hear 17 ... ?????
    Haha ya I am 17

Hello Amy, Welcome!

Hmmm, not bad for a beginner! I saw you also shot sports, you should post a few in the sports forum. Great to see someone your age getting into photography, wish I had done that way back when!

JS

Hey, I'm 17 too

No no, not to take attention away from Amy's shot, congrats on the Sticky and the featured photo.

Glad to know I'm not the only young'un on these boards!

Amy's Photography

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Hey, I'm 17 too

No no, not to take attention away from Amy's shot, congrats on the Sticky and the featured photo.

Glad to know I'm not the only young'un on these boards!

Awesome! I love meeting other people my age who also love photography

Ha I actually didnt realize it was a Sticky until you mentioned it, I guess that is a good thing right?

~Amy

Well, I kept coming back to see it again and have decided that the cut off swings and such simply don't weigh in enough to detract from this great image for me! Amy, welcome and congrats on a very nice image.

I got my first camera (a minolta x-370) back when I was about 16 or so. Enjoyed the heck out of it for a couple of years before I abandoned the art and regret it terribly now. I'm so glad that you recognize your talent and that you are moving forward so well! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work (and learning from you as well!)
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Great first shot and congratulations on the sticky!!

Herriot

I like it. It gives a great feel for Christmas time.

Oops, I said Christmas, is that allowed anymore?
    -Josh Williamson

Nikon D50
    Nikkor 60mm f/2.8

-Joshua Bentley | Personal Site

I like this photo.
    + You have a nice use of diagonal angles here.
    + The lighting is fantastic. Not too bright, and not too dark. Love the natural light, it is your friend.
    + The composition is fantastic as well.

Nicely done!
    What kind of camera did you use? Just curious.

Hello! My name is Taylor and I'm obsessed with cameras and photography!!

I like it. But, like some of the other reviews, I think the position of the swingset could be improved to allow for better representation of the seats.
    Pictures -- helping people prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot for generations.

Gallery

Awesome! I love meeting other people my age who also love photography

Ha I actually didnt realize it was a Sticky until you mentioned it, I guess that is a good thing right?

~Amy
    It's a good thing to get a sticky; it menas that you got the featured photo of the week. Eventually the photo in the top right of the critique forum will change to your photo!

Congrats,

Jared

Nice image Ayglnu13. It's quite the wintry shot, different but lovely. You've done well
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Amy, welcome to PR and congrats on the sticky. You have a very good eye for things. I love b&w really love this pic. Listen to whatever critique you are offered here, but always remember that you also have to shoot true to your own vision. With young folks like you and jared having the talent you have, this one old fogey that knows the future of photography is in good hands.

Can't say the composition really bothers me at all. The tonal quality you have is very good.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Hey Amy,

Welcome to PR. This is a great first shot. You did a great job of conveying a sense of wintry loneliness.

I wish I had put that much effort into my photography when I was your age.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Hi Amy,

Just from the point of view of a graphic designer: this is indeed a beautifully sensitive picture. But why oh why do you torture the whole picture with that really ugly and fat frame? Your credit should also be more subtle (smaller, finer) and could use a different font...

The way you present your pictures does affect a lot how spectators take a look at it, how they will interprete it and how they will appreciate it. This frame distracts you too much from the picture itself. Your picture could be more powerful by simply removing the frame. But I have to mention I hate frames...

Anyway, I do really looove the light on the background in this picture.

Eric

~Amy
    I like the image. I like that the bench is cropped on the left and feel any manipulation beyond what is shown would be a mistake. I like the contrast of the image. To often these days, people choose high contrast even at the sacrifice of the mood or moment. My best suggestion for you is to print on the best paper you can afford with matching contrast, so that the image tones can be preserved in print. If you use a lab, use a custom lab. Keep shooting. Good work.

Thread Information