Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Observation deck

Does it do anything for anyone?

Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-18-2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 12 Dec 2005
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Observation deck

Liban,

Like it. Nice and a strong contrast.The sky is a little blown out IMO, but I think it adds to the silhouette type feel of those neat cover things. A neat shot,

Jared

By the way, what setup are you using Liban...I'm kinda envious

A very effective photo. It is interesting because of the different body languages in the shot. I wonder what the shot would be if the black area at the bottom were removed.
    yoyo

Thanks Jared. Every time I get the silhoutte right I seem to over expose the skies! if I get the foreground a bit lighter than the sky is ok. I just can't get the mix of things yet, I'm still learning and hopefully will get it one of these days.
    Nothing to be envoius about man. My setup sucks ass. lol. I'm using a point & shoot Fujifilm s602 zoom. I have to do a lot of work on the post editing becuase the colours are usually off, and I can't get used to the settings. It just might be me though.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    A very effective photo. It is interesting because of the different body languages in the shot. I wonder what the shot would be if the black area at the bottom were removed.
    yoyo

Thanks Yoyo,
    I tried cropping the bottom but it just wasn't the same. The people were just too close to the bottom with what seems to be an eternity of space above them. I've also tried cropping the top to compensate just wasn't there though IMO.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    I'm using a point & shoot Fujifilm s602 zoom. I have to do a lot of work on the post editing becuase the colours are usually off, and I can't get used to the settings. It just might be me though.
    Nonetheless impressive and you got a good eye for composition. Don't diss the fuji man...I still have one (S5100) and it rocks, unfortunately, I'm trying to sell it now! Wanna buy it?

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Nonetheless impressive and you got a good eye for composition. Don't diss the fuji man...I still have one (S5100) and it rocks, unfortunately, I'm trying to sell it now! Wanna buy it?

Jared
    lol.

I just made a quick google on that s5100 and it turned out to be 4 megapixel 10x optical zoom a definite upgrade!

My (what you called) eye for composition is also known as take tons of photos and travel to exotic locations. If I can skip one trip, I could by a D70 or something, but not me I love traveling too much. Every year it comes down to upgrading my old camera or traveling somewhere, I usually end up in the airport with my old cam. lol.

P.S. I would never diss the fuji man. It's the best. I love Fuji!! It's been my fav. cam so far.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Liban, I find this to be an excellent image and I would not change a thing. The blown out sky creates a mood and great backdrop for the silhouettes and still the pearly blues reamain around the edges. i like the crop. Really strong image. Great
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary I appreciate it.
    I'm glad this works for a lot of you tonight. It's the sorta image that works for me (for some apparent reason) which I usually don't think it will appeal to the masses and hold back most of the time. I'm glad I posted it and got positive feed back.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Absolutely top drawer this one. It has a brilliant futuristic feel to it. As Gary says it needs nothing done to it except to be looked at, and there's lots to look at. I find myself almost counting the people and checking what they're up to and they are all different. It's almost as if you set it up Liban.
    Yoyo; I think if the bottom was cropped off it would have a detrimental effect as I think this area gives it an important "shape".
    One of the best I've seen here.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Another great photograph from you Liban.
    I like the silhouettes and the texture the ones of the awanings create.
    This is a very pleasing and peaceful composition.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liban,

Congrats on the sticky and check your PM.

Jared

beautiful image. truly.

regarding the color—I love the very subtle sepia on the ground, it gives the image a little more meat. however, I'm not a big fan of the way the sky blows out in the middle. makes me wonder if this image would have the same impact in black-and-white. what do you guys think? would removing the little bit of color on this image affect it and how so?

I also feel like the edge of the ground (the sepia-horizontal-surface part) is too close to the bottom trim. is this cropped? I think I would like to see a little more ground—just a bit—to weigh down the image, or reinforce the ground. you know what I mean? I kinda feel that it's a little top-heavy.

it REALLY has that futuristic feel. I wonder if it's the "thin-ness" of the air that impresses that idea on me.
    teehee

http://www.steaktaco.com <- - - poohoopsies

Tom,
    It's really an honour that you mention this among the best you've seen here becuase I've seen so many wonderful shots. Thanks.

Brian,
    yeah the yawning structure was quite well put together, it drew me in from the first moment I saw it. Thank you.

Jared,
    Thanks. For some reason, I just seem to not notice the stickies, It's wierd how that works. I was wondering what happened to my thread for a bit earlier today till I realized it was stickied.

Steaktaco,
    yeah it's cropped just a tad bit from the bottom. There was a bit of another rail going across some areas of the bottom that had to go. Thanks
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Good job. It flows nicely. The backlit subjects are good.

Thanks Jimmy. Very appreciated.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information