ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Happy Thanksgiving

Earning the turkey on the annual Turkey Day Ride. Seven miles and over 2000 feet of climbing before the top. I hate it. But I sure am thankful when I get to the top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5585.jpg   Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5498.jpg   Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5567.jpg   Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5573.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Don't Forget To Hydrate

Experienced riders know - hydration is important.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5598.jpg   Happy Thanksgiving-crw_5589.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Don't Forget To Hydrate

I tell you what John. Looking at the photos now on a secondhand Dell 21" (20" viewable) P1110 CRT monitor and profiled with an eye-one calibrator (and doing it correctly which I haven't been doing for the past year), really makes a big difference and I must say a huge inprovement for me to see them much better and clearer.

My Mitsubishi monitor was just fuzzy and I didn't realise it until late last weekend when I was looking at the LCD display I had just bought for my youngest daughter as her monitor was failing after he computer power supply blew up litteraly.

So I hope that my images are going to look a whole lot better than maybe they have been looking.

Happy Thanksgiving to you John and the family.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Some really great images John. Looks like a real fun way to spend Thanksgiving.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Congratulations

Congratulations on the new, profiled monitor, Peter. I hope it makes a huge difference. These photos were set up on my laptop, which, although calibrated, isn't nearly as accurate as my desktop. The laptop is a bit brighter, more contrasty, and saturated. So images I set up on it can be a bit dark and flat. So don't evaluate your new system completely by these images.
    Photo-John

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

John,

These are hilarious! The reflection of you in the top of the whiskey flask is a riot. Keeping hydrated, indeed!

Looks like a fun ride!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Don't Forget To Hydrate

Funny you mention that. I've got an older 20" monitor at home that I thought was fine. Did some photo editing on it, posted pics to a site, and the next day, viewed them on my work LCD monitor. Whoa! What a difference. It really enlightened me on how poorly that old CRT monitor displays color... at least on its current calibration. I also realized my pics were incorrectly color corrected. Not a good thing. Yup... I'm a rookie.

To that end, do you have any suggestions on a home remedy to calibrate a monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    I tell you what John. Looking at the photos now on a secondhand Dell 21" (20" viewable) P1110 CRT monitor and profiled with an eye-one calibrator (and doing it correctly which I haven't been doing for the past year), really makes a big difference and I must say a huge inprovement for me to see them much better and clearer.

My Mitsubishi monitor was just fuzzy and I didn't realise it until late last weekend when I was looking at the LCD display I had just bought for my youngest daughter as her monitor was failing after he computer power supply blew up litteraly.

So I hope that my images are going to look a whole lot better than maybe they have been looking.

Happy Thanksgiving to you John and the family.

Monitor Calibration

Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    I've got an older 20" monitor at home that I thought was fine. Did some photo editing on it, posted pics to a site, and the next day, viewed them on my work LCD monitor. Whoa! What a difference. It really enlightened me on how poorly that old CRT monitor displays color... at least on its current calibration. I also realized my pics were incorrectly color corrected. Not a good thing. Yup... I'm a rookie.

To that end, do you have any suggestions on a home remedy to calibrate a monitor?
    Question: How do you know which monitor is closer to correct? There's really no way to know without using some type of outside reference. Your home monitor might actually be the better one. Technically, CRTs are still more accurate than LCDs - at least if you have a good one that's calibrated well. But LCDs have a snappier, more contrasty look that people like better. That might be what you're seeing.

The easiest way to get a quick and dirty monitor calibration is to use the Adobe Gamma wizard that comes with Photoshop. It's not perfect. But it's decent and most people will end up making some monitor adjustment with it.

The right way to do it is to use a monitor hardware profiling device and profiling software. Here's a link to reviews for that equipment on this site. The descriptions and reviews on those pages should help you understand better: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/cat/col...S_4332CRX.ASPX

There's also an article from ColorVision on why you should calibrate your monitor: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/colorvi...tlightcrx.aspx

Hope that stuff helps. And welcome to the site!
    Photo-John

Re: Monitor Calibration

Great question. I suppose I don't! The LCD surely does look snappier, like you said.

As suggested, I used the Adobe Gamma on the home CRT monitor. Made a noticable difference. I like the ability to show the before and after color mgmt. Really makes you realize what you've been missing! Thanks a bunch for the info. It's helped a lot.

PS: Great photos btw. I'm an MTBR follower and always enjoy your posts. That's what got me here actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Question: How do you know which monitor is closer to correct? There's really no way to know without using some type of outside reference. Your home monitor might actually be the better one. Technically, CRTs are still more accurate than LCDs - at least if you have a good one that's calibrated well. But LCDs have a snappier, more contrasty look that people like better. That might be what you're seeing.

The easiest way to get a quick and dirty monitor calibration is to use the Adobe Gamma wizard that comes with Photoshop. It's not perfect. But it's decent and most people will end up making some monitor adjustment with it.

The right way to do it is to use a monitor hardware profiling device and profiling software. Here's a link to reviews for that equipment on this site. The descriptions and reviews on those pages should help you understand better: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/cat/col...S_4332CRX.ASPX

There's also an article from ColorVision on why you should calibrate your monitor: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/colorvi...tlightcrx.aspx

Hope that stuff helps. And welcome to the site!

Thread Information