Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Powershot S500 Water Damage Question (Smudges inside LCD?)

Hi all,
    Glad to stumble upon this forum and have a question for you all. I have a Canon S500 Digital Camera which had water spilled on it during a trip. The upshot is, it stopped working completely for a few months. On a whim, I tried powering it up today and it sprung back to life, and works perfectly save one flaw.

On the LCD, there are smudges (perhaps similar to how bacteria would look under a microscope), and while they don't effect the picture quality in the slightest, they are a bit annoying. I'm curious if this is a fixable issue without shipping the camera out for repair? Probably not, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
    Pel

Re: Powershot S500 Water Damage Question (Smudges inside LCD?)

Hi and welcome - I think you're right though, probably not. You could contact Canon and see what they think the repair might cost, but it could be as much as the camera.

Are they on the inside or outside of the LCD? If on the outside, maybe a camera shop would have an idea of an antibacterial/antifungal wipe you could use on it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

My thinking is that it is probably the plastic protector over the LCD display that has marks on it and should be able to be removed, cleaned and put back on, if not, replace the plastic protector on the screen with a new one. Ring Canon and ask them.

Hey all,
    Thanks so much for the replies. They are unfortunately on the inside of the LCD.
    Pel

Thread Information