Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Say goodbye before sending anything to Mack Camera service

I am posting this as a warning...

I sent in my laptop for a minor repair, and after sitting in their shop for 2 months they sent me a huge repair bill

From the get go, their customer service representatives were rude and seemed annoyed that I would even be calling them, before even describing my situation.

Finally, I learned that they had completely destroyed it, and refused to take responsibility...and even had the audacity to say that I was lying and had done the damage. As I am not the only one this has happened to, this may be company policy

Their customer service representatives are difficult to get ahold of, and are rude and insulting, and as soon as you hang up the phone they seem to forget about everything they promised to do

More people share their stories here:
    http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-o...hbor_id=199167

Re: Say goodbye before sending anything to Mack Camera service

When I have had problems like this I file two complaints:
    #1: With the BBB
    #2: With the Attorney General of the state you live in.
    And if need:
    #3: my attorney

Sometimes just #2 is enough to get a business to act.

As a precaution I always take photos of gear or computers when I am sending it out, including how it is packed and labeled. Normally when a company gets the pictures they do a complete 180, as they are hard to deny.

JS

JSPhoto,

I have filed a claim with the BBB, although this particular company seems to be very good at "dealing" with the BBB in a way that is not so good for the customer. I am also looking into filing a court case but you know its difficult because I'd have to fly out there and take time off from my life.

I will be taking photos of my gear in the future definitiely.

Hopefully the BBB will be able to resolve this for you. This kind of thing is not good for a business like Mack Camera, and they should come to their senses and get things fixed correctly.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Hopefully the BBB will be able to resolve this for you. This kind of thing is not good for a business like Mack Camera, and they should come to their senses and get things fixed correctly.

JS
    Oh jeez, don't count on the BBB to actually do anything - they never do. Better off discussing this with an attorney and asking for a letter to be sent for a full refund or better yet, if they destroyed your laptop, find out the value of it and ask to be compensated. File a complaint with the attorney general as well.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

I have dealt with the BBB before, and had no problem getting them to make sure their members stay in line.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Oh jeez, don't count on the BBB to actually do anything - they never do. Better off discussing this with an attorney and asking for a letter to be sent for a full refund or better yet, if they destroyed your laptop, find out the value of it and ask to be compensated. File a complaint with the attorney general as well.
    Per one of the Photo.net threads here is the BBB for Mack Camera

WWW.PARISIPPANY.BBB.ORG

BBB 400 LANIDEX PLAZA, PARSIPPANY, NEW JERSEY. 07054-2797

TELEPHONE # IS 973-581-1313 FAX # IS 973-581-7022

The President of MACK CAMERA IS: MELVIN KEVOE 200 MORRIS AVE. SPRINGFIELD NEW JERSEY 07081

JS

I sent an F5 in for repair (one of the viewfinder LEDs burned out after five years), and before sending I asked for a price quote on cleaning the camera and a lens (was caught in a dust storm in Fiery furnace; Arches NP). The manager, who I spoke with, said he could not give a quote until he say how dirty everything was, so I went ahead an shipped to his attention.
    Within one week, I received a notice everything was being shipped back and repaired. I called and the manager stated, they cleaned everything for free, and replaced a circuit board to repair the viewfinder.
    The AF-S lens and F5 were spotless upon receipt. What can I say, I will do business with them again; that's for sure.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

f5, you certainly had a better experience than I, I'm glad for you. I don't think they are a scam company, they just have some very unfair policies and if you're not lucky you could really get screwed

JS, your link is broken. hmm

Quote Originally Posted by stuh505
    f5, you certainly had a better experience than I, I'm glad for you. I don't think they are a scam company, they just have some very unfair policies and if you're not lucky you could really get screwed

JS, your link is broken. hmm

Sorry, maybe they got too many complaints... try a Google for the office, they could have changed ISP or something.

JS

Hey all,

I stumbled across your site purely by accident. I just wanted to say that anyone who is even THINKING of using Mack Camera for service should google the following first:

Mack Camera + Complaint

Google it exactly like that, and just start reading. There is even a link on David Horowitz's website about Mack Camera. You can find that piece by visiting http://www.fightback.com/byteback/wr...ackresults.cfm

Go to the Dis Service drop down, and look for Mack Camera. That report is from January of 2000, long before I heard of Mack Camera. My horror experience is just about identical to that one. The main difference is that two goons from Mack Camera called me up, told me that my laptop was cracked and then they proceeded to try and get me to say that I cracked it, when I didn't. The result was that my laptop came back in worse shape than when it went to them.

They are a shady company. I purchased my laptop from NiceElectronics.com. I am going to fax them some of the information I found on the internet along with my personal story.

If you all have had bad experiences with Mack Camera, it might be time to bring it to the New Jersey Attorney General' attention.

Wow... I wish I had looked up this information before I started down this hell hole of disservice. I am starting to experience everything posted about Mack Camera, the littany of complaints is true: Endless delays, surly customer service, nasty conversations, misleading updates on their website tracker, unauthorized 3rd party repair shops... you name it. I am completely shocked that Data Vision where I bought my laptop, would sell such a shoddy 3rd party warranty. I have already posted a complaint on the BBB site, and will be following up with the selling store.

After reading the David Horowitz piece, I'm certainly glad that I've never bought the extended Mack warranty offered through B&H.

I also noted that a lot of the problems had to do with computer / laptop issues and found that interesting.

Thanks for the heads up!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    After reading the David Horowitz piece, I'm certainly glad that I've never bought the extended Mack warranty offered through B&H.

I also noted that a lot of the problems had to do with computer / laptop issues and found that interesting.

Thanks for the heads up!
    ~Brian
    When I was still doing business with B&H I actually bought a Mack warranty, had the camera fail after the factory warranty expired, sent it to them, and had it fixed quickly and correctly.

My guess is a lot of these companies grow too fast, and as is all too common in American business, try to squeeze every last cent out of a dollar right now, with no thought for the future, and hire under qualified people at slave wages. You end up talking to people who have no authority or incentive to make you happy (or even do their job), and their bosses just don't give a toss because if they hire people, even incompetent people, they're not technically committing a crime when they take your money even if they know the chances that the guy they hired from Home Depot's paint department has as much chance of fixing a laptop as he does of building an interplanetary spacecraft.

Suffice it to say, that it is now September 2008 and Mack Camera is no better. Not only do they take forever to take action on your claim, they have no interest in customer satisfaction. They are rude, insensitive and care less if you are without your electronics for WEEKS or MONTHS. As for payment when they give up, I'm still waiting.

If you see Mack Camera as the warranty service, don't walk away. RUN!

Hi, I just found this site! I want to publish on your page my unfortunate experience. I live abroad, in Nicaragua. I paid a 3 years warranty for my laptop with Mack Camera International Service in NY. I recently had a problem with the screen, which needs repair. I wrote to them, they answered I was entitled to have my laptop repaired in my residency country (am still within the warranty period). Then they gave me a "authorization numbre". So I proceeded, contacted the repair service center, and then...never heard again from Mack Camera International Service!! I wrote them some 10 email and never had an answer. Any one could tell me what the hell to do?? Thanks, Charles Powell

I just received my Ptax K10 back from Mack Camera. They are my extended warranty provider.

Although I was a bit disappointed with the amount of time it took to get my camera back (5 weeks), the camera works great now.

I found the reps to be helpful and polite. I did call 3-4 times to keep my name in front of them. Each time I called, I asked the name of the service rep with which I spoke and, politely let them know I was writing down his/her name, date and time of call. I believe that if the rep knows you are being systematic and documenting conversations, he/she tends to go the extra mile.

All-in-all I was satisfied with Mack Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptax
    I just received my Ptax K10 back from Mack Camera. They are my extended warranty provider.

Although I was a bit disappointed with the amount of time it took to get my camera back (5 weeks), the camera works great now.

I found the reps to be helpful and polite. I did call 3-4 times to keep my name in front of them. Each time I called, I asked the name of the service rep with which I spoke and, politely let them know I was writing down his/her name, date and time of call. I believe that if the rep knows you are being systematic and documenting conversations, he/she tends to go the extra mile.

All-in-all I was satisfied with Mack Camera.
    I'm glad you got your camera back. I'm glad it works great, but 5 weeks is WAY too long for a repair that probably took 10 minutes to diagnose, and 15 minutes to perform when they got the part.

Things are built as modules now, and while it isn't possible for a repair company to keep every module in stock, there is a delivery system that allows replacements to be shipped fast.

I bought a refurbished Dell just last week. I turned it on for the second time last Friday and it failed. I called their customer support on Saturday morning. They determined that the motherboard failed. They overnighted a replacement to a local computer repair service. It arrived Tuesday, and was installed on site Tuesday afternoon. It sucks that the thing needed repair, but it was repaired on the second business day. That's good warranty service. A lot of companies could learn from them.

Looks like nothing has changed over the years. I purchased a 5-year warranty from MackCamera, sent my camera to them with the check for $10 return shipping. One of the issues with the camera was a bump on the aluminum lens rings causing them to be out-of-round (they could have been straightened). Since this was physical damage, MackCamera just sent it back to me stating it would cost more to fix the camera than it's value. Don't confuse this with insurance, they didn't "total" the camera and send me a check. It cost me $37 for the warranty, $10 to ship them, and $10 to ship back to me and they didn't do anything. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

I purchased a Mack extended warranty for my projector a few years ago. I don't know how they are with cameras but they couldn't fix the projector. The first time they had it for over a month. The second time they had me write attn: Eric (the service mgr) on the box to expedite (so it only took three weeks) but it still wasn't fixed. They also charged me $230 for a new bulb that was never replaced (the bulb timer still shows 863 hours). Eric's solution was to send it back a third time. Essentially Mack Warranties are worthless. As a consumer don't buy one. As a vendor, don't sell them. I had purchased it through Broadway Camera and they should stop selling them.

Alarmy

Hi everybody! I am from Denmark and would like to say hello!

Say goodbye before sending anything to Mack Camera service

so how are they verifying that you actually have one?

Angry Re: Say goodbye before sending anything to Mack Camera service

Where do I begin. First, let me state that you should never, ever, ever, ever do business with Mack Camera. In fact, I wouldn't even do business with a company that is re-selling Mack camera products because they are de-facto selling you a guaranteed nightmare you're going to have with Mack camera customer service.

Now for my story. I purchased a 5 yr extended warranty from Mack Camera. Back in 2009 my camera broke and couldn't read the memory card, so I sent it in for repairs. It took two months before I got it back. First they said they had to wait for parts from the manufacturer, then they said they had to send it to the manufacturer.

Fast forward to June 2011. I have the same problem (camera doesn't read memory card), so I send my camera in for repairs. Again, over a month and a half before I got my camera back. But low and behold, when I get the camera back, it's not even fixed! Sooo... I sent it back to Mack Camera and waited over another month and a half for my camera. They said they had to ship it back to the manufacture to get it fixed. Why didn't they do that the first time. Finally got my camera back and guess what? That's right, it's still broken, but this time they broke the display button on my camera. In short, they've had my camera for about 4 months, 1/3 of a calendar year. Could you image if your car mechanic kept your car for 4 months to repair it?

Please do yourself a favor and save yourself from this type of frustration and don't buy Mack Camera warranties or products. You'll only have yourself to blame if you do.

Thread Information