Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Tips for a Nikon Coolpix 5700

About a year ago, I posted asking advice on purchasing a digital camera on a strapped budget for shooting sports. I am a reporter at a small weekly newspaper, and I was working on an old Canon 35mm SLR. Unfortunately, the reply I got was "buy a better camera" or "buy a $700 lens"

For better or worse, I finally got that digital camera at work. Uninformed, they bought a used Nikon Coolpix 5700, and I need to make it work.

I have decent experience with the model, as it was the camera they picked to use for sports at my first job at another paper. But I could never seem to get good shots of night football, volleyball, or basketball ... anything with a low light. Plus, when I used it, i didn't know anything about settings or any photographer jargon (I admit, I still don't. In the end, I'm a sports writer who got a camera thrown in his hands).

Are there any tips anybody could give me to maximize my camera at these events? Should I shoot with a flash or without a flash? (I am willing to learn my timing using a flash even though you have to anticipate the motion about 3 seconds in advance with a coolpix 5700).

I realize I'm not working with a D70 or anything and I'm pretty sure I won't win any photography awards with this thing, so any advice, no matter how minute, will be helpful as I learn.

Re: Tips for a Nikon Coolpix 5700

Quote Originally Posted by The Worst Photographer
    About a year ago, I posted asking advice on purchasing a digital camera on a strapped budget for shooting sports. I am a reporter at a small weekly newspaper, and I was working on an old Canon 35mm SLR. Unfortunately, the reply I got was "buy a better camera" or "buy a $700 lens"

For better or worse, I finally got that digital camera at work. Uninformed, they bought a used Nikon Coolpix 5700, and I need to make it work.

I have decent experience with the model, as it was the camera they picked to use for sports at my first job at another paper. But I could never seem to get good shots of night football, volleyball, or basketball ... anything with a low light. Plus, when I used it, i didn't know anything about settings or any photographer jargon (I admit, I still don't. In the end, I'm a sports writer who got a camera thrown in his hands).

Are there any tips anybody could give me to maximize my camera at these events? Should I shoot with a flash or without a flash? (I am willing to learn my timing using a flash even though you have to anticipate the motion about 3 seconds in advance with a coolpix 5700).

I realize I'm not working with a D70 or anything and I'm pretty sure I won't win any photography awards with this thing, so any advice, no matter how minute, will be helpful as I learn.
    Can't say I know anything about that camera, like iso and shutter speeds it can shoot at but, if you want good night shots and if the camera can take an external flash get one, it will help, the built in flash is too small to do anything.

I am always amused by the lack of knowledge small paers show when it comes to buying equipment.... especially cameras. That said, I freelance for a small daily (18,000+) circulation) that has a full time photog and I have better gear than he does. And the same for another paper I shoot for occasionally....they have a DRebel aka 300D with a 50mm lens and thats it, for sports and everything.

JS

If this helps, here are the specs on a review of the coolpix 5700. The highest ISO is 800 and the top shutter speed is 1/4000 second and three frames per second shooting. Here is the features list from a review on the Internet:

Coolpix 5700 Features:
    5-Megapixel CCD for images up to 2560 x 1920 pixels
    Nikkor 8x zoom (35-280mm in 35mm equivalent) with ED glass
    Macro focus with AF as close as 1.2"
    Fully articulating 270°, 1.5" color LCD monitor
    Electronic viewfinder (EVF) with 180,000 pixels
    CompactFlash Type II card slot (Microdrive compatible)
    Record images in TIFF-RGB (uncompressed), JPEG or NEF raw
    EN-EL1 rechargeable battery and charger included
    Quick Review feature for instant playback
    Programmed Auto (with Shift), Shutter-Priority, Aperture-Priority and Full Manual
    Drive modes: Single, Continuous H, Continuous L, Ultra High Speed Continuous, 16-Shot Multi and QVGA 320x240 Movie with audio @ 15fps up to 60 secs
    Coolpix-exclusive Best Shot Selector exposure mode
    Shutter speeds from 1/4000 sec. to 8 secs (Bulb to 5 minutes!)
    Aperture settings from F2.8 to F10.3 in 10 steps
    7-bladed lens diaphram for true depth of field control
    Control of color saturation intensity
    Five-area multifocus system, user-selectable and Spot-AF
    256-segment Matrix Metering, Center-weighted or Spot
    Noise Reduction for long exposures
    Clear Image Mode for highly accurate color, low noise, smooth edged and wide dynamic range images at resolutions of 1280 x 960 and below
    ISO sensitivity of Auto, 100, 200, 400 or 800
    Matrix Auto White Balance plus Fine, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Speedlight and Custom Preset.
    AE Bracketing with white balance and exposure value
    Built-in flash with auto, fill, slow sync, and red-eye reduction.
    Hotshoe for external Nikon Speedlights
    Epson PRINT Image Matching Technology compatible
    USB 1.1 port for image download
    Compatible with Nikon MC-EU1 wired remote control

Does that help everybody visualize this camera? I don't know what half this stuff means, so i Could use any help! Thanks!

Well you MAY be in luck. You need to get a seperate flash that goes on the hotshoe. You can find Nikon flashes used pretty easily, check around as you can also find Sunpak flash that will work on Nikons. Using the external flash will help you in lower light situations.
    Once you get your flash set camera to MANUAL, ISO 800 Shutter Speed 250 (no faster as flash won't sync with shutter speed).
    Now if needed you can slow the shutter to 200 or 160 (no slower).
    Use flash on manual, as well, when players are close turn it down to 1/8, a little farther away 1/4 and father 1/2. You'll have to play around with flash settings to see what works best, just do not go over 1/2 or below 1/16.
    Oh, make sure you are using spot focus point.
    THat should get you some much better results for the paper.

JS

Thread Information