Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Moab Free-Ride Sequence.

I posted this on mtbr.com and Brian suggested I put it up here for feedback.

Last edited by mtbbrian; 10-30-2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 24 Oct 2005 - RIDE ON!

Re: Moab Free-Ride Sequence.

That is very neat. I do not think I have seen anything like that, as far as the layout. What program did you use?
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 10-23-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo for 24 October 2005

Photoshop. No special plug-in feature other than trimming, scaling and warping by hand to match them up.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Thanks for posting it here Rich!
    I think this a very creative and original as far sequences go, not to discount it by any means because it is very artistic.
    Each shape lends it self well to the natural shapes of the rocks and maybe even to the area of Moab too.
    I can see a "tarditional" rectanglular version of this in my head, and it doesn't compare.
    It looks like you re-worked this one a little versus the one you posted on mtbr.
    Let's here what some others think!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Brian,

Thanks for the comments.
    The one I posted on mtbr was the jpg version with incorrect white balance. This one was done using the RAW files and I did tweak on the frame shapes and shadows (making them a little more subtle and flowy). I still like the other one but this one is more satisfying and warm while the other is a little rough.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Recently, I had the joy of putting together a double rainbow, which I posted on VF, similar to this, but my results were far less spectacular than what you have here. I love that each seperate section is laid on top of each other with the shadow underneath, lending to the feeling of viewing traditional film laid on top of each other.
    One of the problems I had was keeping the seperate pictures to have the same hue, something which I think you accomplished exceptionally here. Congratulations on an excellent project. Would love to see some other similar type projects from you.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think that is what I like more about this one!
    The subtleness and the flowiness and the that it is refined.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Nice! Very nice.....

It's great to see a "natural" stunt (I just saw "Unchained"). Is that rider someone from the Front Range clan (or Hifly)???

I like the overlapping puzzle pieces. It's a unique idea. The simulated paper cut and shadow works nicely on the right side, but starts to look like a grey line on the left side. Also, the last two frames on the left side are a little awkward looking in the front wheel is going into his butt. Would it be possible to take a little artistic license and stretch out that last frame a little so there is room in front of the wheel?

Hey, these are just nits. It's a great work!
    BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks Tim,
    Bob, the rider is actually from South Dakota and rides some amazing stuff. It was his first time to Moab and he is meant to be there.

I see the idea behind stretching the last image but it might be difficult without adding it's own set of problems. Bob didn't land as far out as I expected and I failed to shoot another shot after that which would have been better.

You might just try moving that last frame a little more left. Who cares if the rock behind looks a little elongated. The sequence is just awesome.
    Samurai #17 |;^\

p.s. Did you shoot that with your D70? [nm]

Samurai #17 |;^\

GB1

Very nice! You see stuff like this using paintings sometimes, but I've never seen anyone do it with photos!

Thread Information