Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

HOYA circular polarizers

OK the time has come for me to get a polarizer for my Canon L 17-40mm (used on both digital and film cameras; mostly digital though).

I go on Ebay and find, not surprisingly, the selection is endless.

However, since I've been using Hoya's Super HMC Pro 1 UV on it all this time, I'm reluctant to use any other brand.

My question is: I've come across different packagings for the Hoya circular polarizer of the Super HMC/Pro 1 range. Anyone know the difference? Recommendations? Cautions?

I've uploaded them just so you know what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: HOYA circular polarizers

I don't know the answer for sure, the only thing I notice in the images you provided is that the blue package specifically says it's for digital photography.

I buy my filters from www.2filter.com. Their Super HMC page lists the different filters and they talk about "green" packaging and "blue" packaging and that they are made in different countries. Perhaps this will help you?

oops, I meant to provide the direct link to the page, that website can get confusing. Here it is:
    http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoyapolarizers02.html

Other than marketing hype, I don't know how a polarizer could be specific for digital. I've got that exact filter (brown label) and it's great. Looks like this is the slim one (77.0s) which I've got. That means that you'll get a rubber lens cap which you'll need, because since there are no filter threads in front of the filter you won't be able to use a regular lens cap while the filter is attached.

I got the slim version while shooting film with my 20mm lens, but with APS style digital sensors I don't think it's as much of a problem until you get into 12mm or so lenses. Works fine with both film and digital, btw.

Thread Information