Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Nists of Time

Nists of Time

G'day Again,

This is a more recent image from my trusty Kodak CX6200. I was on a job way down the pointy end of Tasmania in a place called Dover. I went passed this boat every morning and it wasn't antil my last day there that I had a chance to stop and shoot it, and conditions were perfect for adding a mysterious feel to the old hulk.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nists of Time-through-mists-time.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-31-2005 at 02:28 PM. Reason: UN Sticking as "Featured Photo" for 25 July 2005

DJM

Re: Nists of Time

Nive job! The only thing I don't care for are the wires. Other than that, Great

Thanks DJM, I agree, I dislike the modern rope used to moor it as well, but I haven't come to terms with how I feel about altering images after the shot was taken. I do it at times, but I like the "purist" form of making sure the shot was framed right in the first place. I guess I may just be showing my pre-digital age ;-)

Really good with atmosphere written all over it. Perhaps you could clone out the wires in the bottom right of frame: I think that would improve it, not that it needs much improving anyway.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Nice photo. You captured a very moody image here, and I like it. I don't mind the ropes in the corner at all. I really like the composition you have here as well. The tree on the right side is very nice to fill what could have been a large empty space in the photo, but not prominent enough to take away from your main subject. Very nice colors in ths sky as well. Nice work.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Tranquil scene indeed well captured

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like this photograph.
    You caught it well, in what seems like a difficult lighting situation.
    I think the wires are OK, because they kind of repeat the shape of the boat's hull.
    Brian
    Welcome to PR.com BTW!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hi,
    You have captured the quietness of the place very well. The pic effectively delivers a peace of mind feeling.
    yoyo

Hi Greg,
    I like this shot. It gives a feeling of serenity and is very layed back. The fog adds some mystery also. Unlike others I don't mind the rope at all. The only thing that distracts me is the sharp black lines at the bottom right of the shot.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

OK let's see,

I've used the GIMP to clone out the two cables from the bottom right and I have two thoughts. One is that I need more practice with photo editing software! The other is that now there is too much empty space out there, I kinda prefer the original.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nists of Time-through-mists-time-c.jpg  

Oooo how did I miss this?

First off I think this is terrific but then I am a sailor.

As to the cloning out of the wires. I think its better without them as they give an indication of something else just out of shot which detracts from the loneliness of the scene.

You really have captured the mist well and the muted colours really show of the topic.

As for the morring lines then this is the modern day and in reality they are the wrong type of ropes for mooring because their not elastic enough. These ropes are designed for low stretch use such as halyards. Your better off with 3 ply nylon or polypropolene. (I just can't believe that I started on the technical bits of ropes )

I really like the composition and the tree tops this off complemeting the scene.

Really well done.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

It looks great either way, but without the lines, you can see the tree reflection better (or it stands out better). Congrats on the sticky and featured photo!

Quote Originally Posted by DocH
    OK let's see,

I've used the GIMP to clone out the two cables from the bottom right and I have two thoughts. One is that I need more practice with photo editing software! The other is that now there is too much empty space out there, I kinda prefer the original.

Greg
    This is a very earthy image. It really bings me back to the mornings I spent on the lake as a child. Wading through misty water looking for crawdaddies to fish with. Very nice.

BTW... It's great to see a fellow GiMp user!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Glad to be of service Almo. You know, for the first twenty years of my life I saw mist a big four times, so it doesn't have the same affect for me. And as for Crawdaddies......

Greg

Hello Greg. This is nice shot, I would have liked to see the boat a litter brighter. Being the subject it just feels like it should be a litter brighter. But that is only a nit-pick...

BTW: I also liked a few of your other shots!

Thread Information