Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

More recent images

Although not of the creepy weird type Although I will be posting more of those soon.

These two images were shot in Socrates Sculpture Park in Astoria during a summer solstice festival - they had all sorts of art activities for the kids. Which one do you like better and why? I've got my favorite, but of course, I was behind the camera and know what I wanted to do and am maybe too attached to the idea. Holga, Portra VC 400.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-24-2005 at 07:11 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as Featured Photo For 18 July 2005 - FIRST ONE!!! Thanks Megan!!!!!

Re: More recent images

I had to think this over quite a while as one did not stand out way above the other .My initial thought was that i liked the second image best because of the items blowing in the wind and not still. But the more I look, I find that I feel the first offers more for me in the end and ultimately wins my interest longer.It is because there is more city skyline to view in the bg, the green face thing hanging in the right side, and the hat suspended above the skyscrapers ( also the heart)
    So I go with number one.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The first one is cool. What i see is this:

The hat gary reffered to, looks like a UFO
    The green face looks kind of like an alien.

So, i can see kind of a colorful "alien invasion" with a child's take. That shot is awesome!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Gary put it so well..
    Like him, my first impressions were that the second was the better of the two, but I looked at them longer and now feel that the first one is the better of the two.
    At first, I liked the light play that was happening with the large orange element, but as I looked I wanted to see some of the city.
    Both images are multi dimensional in that they have an interesting foreground and background.
    Becasue you can see the backgraound more in the first, is why it is the better of these two.
    Expound a bit more on what you had in mind with this, please

Good Stuff! Glad to see you are shooting more color!!!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Expound a bit more on what you had in mind with this, please
    Good Stuff! Glad to see you are shooting more color!!!!
    Brian
    Thanks, and thanks everyone, for taking time to comment. This was one of those "walking around and saw the pretty colors" kind of shots. I took the second one first, actually... my quick thought process as I composed the shot before another kid ran into the viewfinder (pesky little crumb grabbers! ) was "Oooh, the cut-out of the sun can be like the sun over the skyline." But then as I started walking away, satisfied with my one shot, I saw the flying saucer, and thought "Ooooh oooh oooh, that would be really cool floating above Manhattan!"

Now seeing the images on the screen, though, the scanner didn't do them justice. The colors are so glowing and gorgeous on the contact sheet... but it's okay.

It was fun to walk around and come upon photographs this way, I've needed that balance to keep what I'm in the studio lately fresh.

Thanks again!

Megan

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Now seeing the images on the screen, though, the scanner didn't do them justice. The colors are so glowing and gorgeous on the contact sheet... but it's okay.

It was fun to walk around and come upon photographs this way, I've needed that balance to keep what I'm in the studio lately fresh.

Thanks again!

Megan
    I am sure this will make an excellent print!
    Balance is good!!
    Keep It Up!!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Great shots, I go with the first one because of the increased activitiy in the foreground, both work really well together though and I like the contrasting results you have managed to achieve, congratulations on the sticky and featured photo!

Herriot

Meg this picture rocks. The Holga nature of it makes me think of a "flashback" type feeling... the way you see flashbacks in your mind...
    This one, of summer, warm breezes and picnics.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information