Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question about SD Memory Card

Hey. I just bought a new Canon SD300 digital camera. It came with a 16mb card standard, but right now i'm looking into getting a much much larger one. In the manual, it says that it recommends a "high-speed" memory card. I checked out bestbuy and compusa, and they have cards that have transfer rates of 2mb/s, 5mb/s,10mb/s, 60x, and 65x. Which speed would you recommend so that I could get the most (or atleast what I have now) performance from my camera? Thanks

John

Re: Question about SD Memory Card

They only recomend that on the off chance that you would actually buy one of their's. The faster the more expencive. The truth is that unless you are using a high end prosumer camera or a Dslr then the speed of your card isn't going to make much of a difference. My advice would be to buy the cheapest namebrand you can. That'ed probably be SanDisk or PNY.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Generally, what almo says is true. But I have been hearing more and more that fast cards are making a difference with compact cameras. On the other hand, for most people, and most purposes, I don't think it will matter much. Personally, I'd buy the cheapest name-brand card I could find. A 256 or 512 would be the way to go. You get the best price/performance for your money at those capacities.

One place where the speed will matter is with a card reader. If you have a USB 2.0 card reader plugged into a US 2.0 port you will be able to transfer your files much faster. That's where I appreciate having a high-speed SD card.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

roar

I would say , it doesn't matter which brand you go with, they will all do pretty much the same, apart from maybe a slight difference in transfer speed? I paid £25 on amazon.co.uk for my 512MB SD card, which I think is a great price, works fine, transfer rate is good enough for me.. (which I don't actually know?)

Thread Information