Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Dreaming

Dreaming

Chucking out time for the pubs, but one drinker finds a place to rest his eyes against the backdrop of St Paul's Cathedral. Thanks for looking:

matt

Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-03-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as the "Featured Photo" for 27 June 2005

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Dreaming

I LIKE THIS!
    I like the strong vertical and horizontal lines and how the light fades.
    And then you see this guy laying there on the steps!
    Good eye!
    I would have liked to have seen it a bit bigger though.
    EDIT: I like the shadow of the guy walking by too, it's kind of comment on something, I am not sure what. I maybe off on that, but it's kind of how I am seeing it..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

This is a very good photograph. The centering works, both because of the inherent symmetry as well as the blurred person on the right to keep things from being static. Was this taken at night?

Good image , Matt. i like the shadow of the column being thrown against the door, and the person in motion passing the sleeper. These two elements add much depth to an already interesting main course. Congrtats on the sticky. well done.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Great image Matt, the lighting on the pillars works really well in black and white and the horizontal figure adds a great sense of contrast, not only is he horizonal in an image dominated by vertical lines but he is also inebriated and resting highly respected British landmark!! Reminding us of the spritual side of of life perhaps?

Great shot and well done on the featured photo!

Herriot

Thank you very much for the kind comments - and a first sticky for me as well which was a nice surprise!

Furchin - this shot was taken close to midnight I think, I'd just left a pub and decided to walk for a while with my camera rather than heading straight home to bed. The lighting comes from the large spotlights that illuminate the front of St Paul's at night. I'm pleased I managed to keep it pretty sharp, as I had to handhold for this, and I had sunk a few pints myself ;-)

Regards,

matt

Hi Matt,
    I love this photo. The shadow of the pillar and the passer-by really elevate the meaning of the shot.
    yoyo

Matt,

Great shot and good use of symmetry/geometry and subject matter! Well done and congrats on the sticky and featured photo!

Matt-
    This is a great photo. Thanks for sharing. I think it's a bit dark, though. I know it's a night image and it's supposed to be dark. But I think it could be a tiny bit brighter and still preserve the dark feel. I don't think I see any real white in the image, and I believe there should be at least a spot of it, somewhere. And if it was a bit lighter, it would be easier to see that victim on the stairs. I probably would have lightened the whole thing a tiny bit and selectively lightened the stairs a bit more. I have a feeling this image would work pretty well at this density as a larger print. But I'm having a bit of trouble with it on my calibrated monitor.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Great photo!
    This really holds my attention because of the great horizontal and vertical elements. The pillars are very graphic and I love the shadow that is coming off them. The man laying down adds nice scale to the building, I like how it looms over him.
    The passerby also was a great addition to the photo because it breaks up the motionless night time feel and completes the wonderful composition.
    This is one of the strongest B&W photos I've seen on this forum in awhile - a little brighter would be nice but personally I like the feel that the darker image gives.

Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Very nice, Matt. Well seen and the moment is beautifully captured with the blur of the passer-by. The overall tones look OK on my monitor.

Obviously, it is nice as is. However, one suggestion would be to crop off the top just below the detailed areas of the columns and to do selective contrast/levels/curves adjustment on the area of the stairs/men only to add just a bit of brightness there.

Congratulations on the sticky - well deserved!

Tuna

Thank you for all the helpful and encouraging comments, its always good to feel as if you are getting something right!

Its certainly not an ideal size to view an image which is that dark - I've printed out a near A4 size copy and it looks a lot clearer. I may well do a bit more fiddling around before I get to a final version, and if I do I will definitely take on board your suggestions.

Thanks again,

matt

Thread Information