Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Nikon 8400 v (Canon Powershot Pro1 & Nikkon 8800)

OK, It's decision Time!

I love Macro Photography, and I wanted to move up to the Most versatile Digital camera that would give me the best resolution for the money.. So I narrowed it down to The Canon Powershot Pro1, and the Nikon 8800..

Then I discovered the Nikon 8400! This gem has an equivalent 24mm wide angle lens.
    I Also Love a wide angle lens and the results I can get.. Telephoto isn't that important to me.

So My question is: Will the 8400 give me the macro capabilities the 8800 and the Pro1 would? I know it will do macro, but as good?

THANKS!

(Also, should the dust problems of the Pro1 rule it out? also, Sears.com has it in clearance section for $599.. Is there a Pro2 in the offing? ;-)

Thanks again!!

Re: Nikon 8400 v (Canon Powershot Pro1 & Nikkon 8800)

If the Powershot Pro 1 doesn't have a removeable lens, then you won't have a dust problem. DSLR's like the EOS series and Nikon's D70, 100, 2X, 2HS have removeable lenses so dust can get on the sensor.

I have a Coolpix 5000, which was replaced by the 5400 and then the 8400. It's a different and older camera, but it looks pretty similar in many ways. With it, I can shoot killer macro. Here's a shot I just took of some AA batteries sitting on my desk that I need to charge. It was taken at the widest setting (28mm equiv) and the closest battery was literally within 1/2" of the lens element. No extra charge for the piece of dog hair.

My camera is different than the 8400 but I can't imagine that the macro is much different. This was using a small aperture (f8) to get the in-focus range a little closer with hyperfocal focusing (not measured, just a rough guess). With a little more care and time than I put into this quick shot (not much) your results will be very good.

Another option - the 5400 is very close to the 5000. They're discontinued but you still might find a deal on one - like $300 range. BTW, I ordered the sample 8400 print from Nikon and it looks great - but I don't think it's anything the 5000 can't do (other than focal length, and I have their accessory lens adapters to cover that).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon 8400 v (Canon Powershot Pro1 & Nikkon 8800)-batteries.jpg  

Thread Information