Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Anyone for eggs????

I've finally decided to post this one. I know there are a lot of things wrong with it, but i really enjoy looking at it. At the time of shooting, i did my best to eliminate the glare at the top but some still managed to beat me, and i just couldn't get high enough to avoid cutting off the edges. Unfortunately too, downsizing it has made it lose the detail of the labels.
    Can YOU see anything else wrong with it???Does it work for you?

Regards

Chris

PS: Sorry all you bird nerds out there, i hope this doesn't cause you too much distress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone for eggs????-eggs.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 05-22-2005 at 07:19 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as "Featured Photo" For 16 May 2005...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

Re: Anyone for eggs????

Eggciting photo.Cutting off the edges is not a problem IMHO (I might even crop the bottom a bit to remove that boundary). Without the definate edges we are allowed to imagine this being a small part of a large array - it opens up the shot. I like the endless variations on a simple pattern. Other things I like about the shot...
    ... the empty square
    ... some eggs carefully padded- others not
    ...occasional broken eggs
    ...the texture in the non padded cells
    ...the negative space between the boxes (could be enhanced)
    Great shot. Could you borrow a chick or baby bird for a reshoot?
    The whites in the shot have a cool tone - You could try warming it a bit.
    ----------------------------

I like looking at this too. I think your shadows and highlights are perfect; the contrast is done very well. I'm not sure I'd want to see the cool tones warmed up, because I think they contrast nicely with the warmth of the browns. JMO.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Dear Chris,

I really like this photo. The flare in the upper part, which isn't all that bad, is not at all bothersome. I like the contrast of the wood and the eggs. The contrast of the cool white and the warm brown is very nice. It almost has a National Geographic feel about it. I would agree with Chunk, crop off that little bit at the bottom. It would focus attention on the eggs and such. A very good piture.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Scrambled, please... ;-)

I like it!
    I like the different sizes of the two shapes, which is repetitive. A good thing.
    The different colors and textures are good too.
    I don't think the issues of the labels is an issue.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel
    I've finally decided to post this one. I know there are a lot of things wrong with it, but i really enjoy looking at it. At the time of shooting, i did my best to eliminate the glare at the top but some still managed to beat me, and i just couldn't get high enough to avoid cutting off the edges. Unfortunately too, downsizing it has made it lose the detail of the labels.
    Can YOU see anything else wrong with it???Does it work for you?

Regards

Chris

PS: Sorry all you bird nerds out there, i hope this doesn't cause you too much distress
    I find your picture to be interesting and I agree with the good words that you have received but the distortion effect from the lense (wide angle??) distract me here. I'd like to have a "flat" view of that scene.

Seb

Thanks to everyone for your comments,

Kelly, Brian and Drew, thanks for your kind words,

Chunk, thanks fo your analysis, and your idea of a reshoot with a chick is excellent, unfortunately this was taken in a lighthouse in the most southwesterly point of Ireland (absolutely beautiful scenery), so a return trip is unlikely (for a while anyway).

Seb, i see what you mean about the distortion, but i think that's due to the center box not being square and the angles being slightly askew, this was taken with the 18-70 kit lens of the D70 and i hadn't noticed any distortion with it (not until now anyway). Actually the more i look at it, the more i see it.

Regards

chris

Nikon Samurai #16

drg

I posted my comments in the Gallery but they follow the general themes here!

This is primarily a congrats on the "sticky" and to say again that this is a fine image that I hope many will take some time to look at, particularly the larger version in the gallery. Some of the details really make it work.

-C
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I like the shot as well. I don't think it needs a crop although it would look fine either way. Just as it is works for me. What makes the shot for me is that one missing egg in the empty box. Yes, there is another empty box but not noticeable unless looking for it. Good one
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Congrats on the featured photo and the sticky! Wonderful shot and just wanted to echo the praise everybody has stated! Great shot!

GB1

Wow this pic is sharp. Film or digital?

Congrats on *Feature Photo ! I like it a lot. For some reason its nostalgic to me but i have no idea why because I've never seen anything like that. Everything in is is *the same but different if you know what i mean. It's intrigueing. oh also the subtle colors give it a very rich feel.

Kit
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Love all the interesting little differences here. I like all the diverse little patterns, sizes, colors, etc. Really kewl looking pic and definitely frameable. Congrats on having the featured photo.
    ~Nina~

hi and thanks everyone for the comments. I just chanced upon this in an old lighthouse, it was just sitting there on the counter as if no one had ever bothered to move it since the last occupants left the building. There was also another one with a huge ostrich egg in the middle but it didn't turn out as well (balance wasn't as interesting). It's funny, it took me a long time to appreciate this picture and i kept coming back to look at it, and now it's my desktop background at work and i really enjoy letting my eyes roam around it.
    One last thing, this is the kind of shot i would NEVER have done before joining PR.com, so thanks everyone for giving me a new way of looking at things. (crazilly enough, when i took this shot i actually wondered whether this would work for "Mrpattern"Chunk scary!!!)

Thanks again

chris

PS: gb1, this was digital D70

Nikon Samurai #16

Thread Information