Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    lost in the plot.

trees and bands.

hello there! im new around here (thanks to everyones help getting me cleared) and i figured id just jump right in.

im really trying to seriously get into this, so i really would appreciate any and ALL feeback. rip me to shreds, but tell me why so i can learn from it :]

i shoot mostly musicians - live and im trying to learn how to branch into portraits. however from time to time i end up shooting TREEs. i cant stop with the trees. anyhow, enough ramble;

these were all taken within the last week....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trees and bands.-dears1.jpg   trees and bands.-dsc_0098.jpg   trees and bands.-dsc_0187.jpg   trees and bands.-longview1.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 04-17-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Un Sticking.. As Featured Photo for 11 April 2005
    erin r.

'on the subway we feel like strangers - but we're all in this together'

Re: trees and bands.

Welcome to the boards

These are great I really love the last one I like the "mood" of it. The tree photos are great too. Hope you enjoy getting to know everyone here.

Stina
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Welcome to the boards.

As stina pointed out, very powerful in the mood and great shots. I love the first one, very passionate.

Enjoy your time on the forums,

Jared

Nice

Congratulations ad welcome to the site. I chose your last photo - the black and white show image - as this week's Featured Photo. I think your exposure is great and it's got a wonderful, classic, black-and-white live music feel to it. It's gritty and contrasty and reminds me of what it's like to be in a small club watching a live band. I think the crop is a bit tight, especially on the left side. And I might have exposed it just a little lighter, or worked on it a bit more in the darkroom or on the computer. I like the contrast, but a little more shadow detail would be nice.

Thanks for joining us and sharing. Hope you enjoy it here and get to learn and share lots more.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by vivatornado
    hello there! im new around here (thanks to everyones help getting me cleared) and i figured id just jump right in.

im really trying to seriously get into this, so i really would appreciate any and ALL feeback. rip me to shreds, but tell me why so i can learn from it :]

i shoot mostly musicians - live and im trying to learn how to branch into portraits. however from time to time i end up shooting TREEs. i cant stop with the trees. anyhow, enough ramble;

these were all taken within the last week....
    Hello Erin,

These are great! The last one is jaw dropping, very professional. I take that one as it is. I love everything about it from the compostion to the exposure. It makes me feel like spending the night in a small jazz club, overlooking the fact that I must be at the office tomorrow morning. The first picture is good to. I would probably say that it is a great one too if I saw it alone (you catched a good moment) but it suffer from the unavoidable comparison with the fourth picture.

About the trees shots. I really like the second one. There is a good, mysterious mood to it. However, the halo effect isn't as subtle as I would like it to be. It looks like it was done with Photoshop. There is nothing wrong about this but I'd much prefer a more natural effect.

The same goes for the third picture. I like your composition but the halo effect distract me (it's even more disturbing in this one actually...).

regards

Seb

lost in the plot.

wow, thanks guys. this means so much. and i really do appreciate all of that feedback.

seb - i am actually really happy with your comments because i like knowing that the musician photos are stronger than the tree types....since that is ultimately where i want to go. i shoot nature when im on a dry spell of shows :]

and i agree about the detail on the face - im unfortunately obsessed with contrast. sometimes its a matter of give or take. but this gives me a lot to think about for next time.

:] :] yay i love you guys already, already learning so much.

thanks,
    erin
    erin r.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get as much from it as I have. I like the fourth shot alot and feel it is right just as it is. Reminds me of the days when I was playing with my band, on stage tuning up before starting our set.
    The other musician shot is good as well, but maybe cropped a bit tight on top for my liking. The tree shots are not working for me as Seb pointed out the halos are too much. but they are not bad and others may find them effective. Good work and look forward to seeing more.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Welcome Home Erin

I am a nature junky myself, the trees are awsome! The musicians are great as well, really creates a feeling of emotion without hearing the music. I think you have a real talent. Keep submitting!

shane

Overall, very nice. I can see a style coming thru with all of these, and the one thing I'd say is that the contrast is maybe a little much. I really like the high contrast in the last shot (and a Rickenbacker bass, no less!) but maybe just a hair more shadow detail would help. If you pushed the contrast in Photoshop, you should be able to go back to the original scan and use the "curves" tool.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of your work.

that last photo is phenominal man, i'd hang that on my wall if i had a nice printer and a bigger version.

lost in the plot.

awww shucks. thanks
    erin r.

Thread Information