Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Building with Simple Design

I was attracted by the building's simple design today. Please criticise the shot.
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building with Simple Design-crw_2804-jp.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 04-03-2005 at 07:33 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as "Featured Photo" for 28 March 05 - Happy Easter!

drg

Re: Building with Simple Design

Good subject choice and the inclusion of a person for scale allows the viewer to 'grasp' the architecture.

Is there something about the contrast that isn't quite right? It may be from the always problematic time of day issue and how light changes from moment to moment outdoors. The reflections from across the street in the building face need to be emphasized for a street photo type shot or eliminated for an architectural type shot.

One minor technical point, the photo was taken with the lens not 'squared' to the plane of the building. This produces (it is relatively minor in this photo) slope of the sidewalk at bottom and the slight slope of the line at the top of the photo. The lens is out of the horizontal plane and not the vertical. No keystoning but its slightly skewed. You may have intended this and with the sidewalk it producces an effect that isn't at all undesirable.

Overall I like this picture a lot. Is this a bank? I remember a two HK banks that looked very similar to this, but I haven't been there in quite a few years. Like to see more like this!

Best Wishes - CDP dr g

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Bold!

I really like this one YoYo..
    I like the boldness of the line from the three columns and the subtleness of the other horizontal lines.
    The use and placement of the man, works well, it breaks up things, which is a good thing.
    It also makes the photograph a little more interesting than if it were just building.
    It is printed well too!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hi CDP dr g, Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis. The building was facing south. The shot was taken at around 10:30 am in the morning in an overcast day. There was not any directional lighting during the shooting. I guess the contrast you mentioned may be due to the reflective aluminium surface of the building. You are right about the reflections. I may avoid it next time with a polariser or with a tilt/shift lens. Thanks for pointing out the picture skew, I overlooked it in the PS free transformation. I will reshoot again as I am attracted to the building. The building is not a bank. It is a recently built commercial building in Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island.

Hi Brain, Thanks for the kind words. The selection as the feature was totally unexpected. I am very flattered.

All the best.
    yoyo

Good work , Yoyo. I like the comp and what makes it for me is the person and the lighting that is hitting his area as if he were in the spot light. Adds to the scale.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Great work Yoyo! Even with the doors shown here, the inclusion of the person out front gives the viewer and immediate scale of the building. Nice work.

Scott

Hi Gary and Scott,
    Thanks for the insight in analysing the shot.
    yoyo

Congrats on making featured photo. I've always enjoyed the timelessness of black and white photographs. You did a great job of capturing that in this shot. Hard to tell what year it is which makes this all the more fun and still makes for a great shot.
    ~Nina~

Hi Nina,
    Thanks a lot for your kind words and comments.
    yoyo

Thread Information