Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Flash Help

Flash Help

Happy Friday to all.

I have a Canon 30D, and just purchased my first external flash - a Sunpak PZ24X. I'm having a heck of a time figuring this thing out, and the two pages of English instruction in the "manual" is zero help.

I've only been able to get the flash to fire once. I'm not sure if I bumped a setting somehow, or what. But I've spent three hours fiddling with it, and scouring the internet looking for tips.

Before I conclude I have a bad unit, I figure I should make sure the problem isn't between the camera and the wall behind me.

Perhaps no one out there has this flash or camera/flash combo - but maybe someone has some general idea of what I possibly could have done or am not doing to make the flash not fire. Go easy on me.. I'm green

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

Re: Flash Help

Quote Originally Posted by ac16
    Happy Friday to all.

I have a Canon 30D, and just purchased my first external flash - a Sunpak PZ24X. I'm having a heck of a time figuring this thing out, and the two pages of English instruction in the "manual" is zero help.

I've only been able to get the flash to fire once. I'm not sure if I bumped a setting somehow, or what. But I've spent three hours fiddling with it, and scouring the internet looking for tips.

Before I conclude I have a bad unit, I figure I should make sure the problem isn't between the camera and the wall behind me.

Perhaps no one out there has this flash or camera/flash combo - but maybe someone has some general idea of what I possibly could have done or am not doing to make the flash not fire. Go easy on me.. I'm green
    not familiar with that flash, i did do a search for it on the web, but i can't see the settings in the back well enough. the only thing that will not make my flash fire is when i hit the button by mistake and make it a slave. maybe you can check to see if you did that. i do it by accident all the time, like tonight. otherwise, i don't have a clue. hope you find a solution. report back.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out where the slave setting may be. Again, the book is no help at all.

Here is a good quality photo I found of the back of it: http://fotoforma.pl/data/UserFiles/I...20PZ42X_03.jpg

Not sure if that helps you see what you were looking for.

One thing to note. When looking into the viewfinder, I'm not getting the flash symbol like I normally would, regardless of mode etc. Not sure if that tells you anything about your theory.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out where the slave setting may be. Again, the book is no help at all.

Here is a good quality photo I found of the back of it: http://fotoforma.pl/data/UserFiles/I...20PZ42X_03.jpg

Not sure if that helps you see what you were looking for.

One thing to note. When looking into the viewfinder, I'm not getting the flash symbol like I normally would, regardless of mode etc. Not sure if that tells you anything about your theory.

Thanks again
    check under mode, mine actually has a different button for slave not under mode. does your camera's IF (internal flash) fire? is it (camera's flash) on auto or is it maybe turned off? sorry, i don't know. check your camera settings.

are your batteries good in the flash?

Yep, tested the IF and it's still firing.

Elaborate what you mean when you as if it's on Auto?

Yes, it's on.

Yep, tested the IF and it's still firing.

Elaborate what you mean when you as if it's on Auto?

Yes, it's on.
    my camera's IF can be set to auto, meaning it will fire when it thinks i need more light. it can be on, but not fire. or i can have the camera fire the flash regardless of the meter reading. or i can turn it off completely and it won't fire at all no matter what.

can you take the flash back. check the contacts? i just got a flash a few months ago, so i'm not too experienced with them, but the only time mine won't flash is when it's set to slave or the batteries are low, even though the light says ready.

do you have the flash set to TTL..not that that really should matter, i don't think. you can also use it manually, it looks like.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you meant the flash or camera settings.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to matter what mode I use. Hit the flash button, no change.

Well, thanks for the help. Perhaps someone else will stroll by and have an idea. I do appreciate your effort.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you meant the flash or camera settings.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to matter what mode I use. Hit the flash button, no change.

Well, thanks for the help. Perhaps someone else will stroll by and have an idea. I do appreciate your effort.
    sorry, hope you get it working.

Thread Information