Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly

CJ's Desert Dwellers: Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly Colias eurytheme sipping nectar from a Day of the Dead Flower Symphyotricum lanceolatum.

Family: Pieridae (Same family as the 'Dwarf Yellow Butterfly' from previous post)
    Subfamily: Coliadinae

Size 41-60 mm
    Male and female are bright gold/orange above with a pink 'blush' and black borders. Below, orange, yellow, or greenish-yellow with single or double red wing spot in hind wing cell (the large unbroken/unveined area on the hind wing) Both wings have a pink fringe.

Common Sulphur is similar, but lacks pink fringe and is normally yellow above. Colors are similar to a Southern Dogface (next post…) but the Dogface has a 'dog face' on the wing and a pointed wingtip

Taken today, at my place.

Canon EOS Digital Rel XTi
    Canon Macro Lens EF 1800mm 1:3.5 L
    Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Handheld
    Cropped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly-img_1037_or_sulphur_640.jpg  

Re: Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly

I commented on this one over in the gallery but just to restate here where you posted it, I think it is gorgeous. Beautiful color, framing, DOF and very sharp. To but it simply a wonderful image. Well done.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Agreed - about as "perfect" as one can achieve. I can't see what else to improve on this image. Even the background is a complimentary color to the pink fringe on the wings.

Excellent Job!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Fantastic shot! The colours and clarity are great.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

The only flaw in this post is..... you keep typing "Canon Macro Lens EF 1800mm 1:3.5 L" in your recent posts

This image is AMAZING in every way. lighting is complimentary to the subject, exposure is perfect, framing and angle are pleasing and the BG is the icing on the cake.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    The only flaw in this post is..... you keep typing "Canon Macro Lens EF 1800mm 1:3.5 L" in your recent posts

This image is AMAZING in every way. lighting is complimentary to the subject, exposure is perfect, framing and angle are pleasing and the BG is the icing on the cake.
    Wow…thanks everyone!!!!!!!

I'm actively trying to improve the quality of my shots, so it is nice when it is noticed. It helps having a lot of subject matter.

I'm finishing a HUGE home project and I'll have more time for posting.

drg

How did I miss this one?

Gorgeous photo.

Congratulations on the 'featured photo'.

I'm with Paul, I would like to borrow that 1800mm Macro . I understand about project/work and posting. I've been pretty scarce lately except for a couple of threads I got started in a few weeks back.

Looking forward to more photos! Thanks for sharing this one!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information