Berlin Holocaust Memorial

Printable View

• 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM
    dancer
    Berlin Holocaust Memorial
    Hi all. This is a shot I did a month ago while I was in Berlin for the weekend. Berlin is a very cool but very strange city. It's hard to describe but I like it. It's very fun but you can feel the dark history I guess. Let me know what you think. :smile:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/...e4686f11_z.jpg
    Berlin Holocaust Memorial by Nadia & Casey Photography, on Flickr
  • 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM
    Hiyabu
    Re: Berlin Holocaust Memorial
    I like the trees in the background, and the long hall in the middle adds depth to the picture. Great photograph.
  • 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
    n8
    Not much to say criticism wise. Nice lines, great dof, and a just overall really good representation of the scene.
  • 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
    dancer
    Wow! Thank you so much! I love simple and honest. Cheers : )
  • 12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
    GB1
    Yeah, very nice shot. I like the out-of-this-world geometrics on the foreground, their dark gray color, and the 'verboten himmel' :D (forbidden sky). I'm not sure on the trees myself, I wish they were gloomier, but they suffice.

Too bad those two left side boxes aren't sitting flat, for it makes the image seem like it's titled. Actually, you might consider rotating the image about half to 1 degree CCW.

I spent two years in Germany back in 80s at a US Army base and you would not believe how familiar this scene looks w.r.t the gray weather. And you also don't realize how much I know what you're talking about when you mention dark history! There's something in the air.... but maybe I read too much history.

GB
  • 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
    LeeIs
    I agree with others. i also think the perspective leading lines works well to guide my eyes through out the image. i was in berlin a couple of years ago and wanted to go to this place to photograph, but the whole transit system was either on strike or was being fixed or something. i don't remember but there was no transit for the few days i was there. annoying. and i skipped this place !!! arrgh..

nice photo.
  • 12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
    Greg McCary
    Less bothersome than the lean to me, could be cut into a hill, is the blown out part of the sky. Maybe some cloning and healing brush could fix it.
  • 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
    arne saknussen
    I would have liked to see this taken at a lower angle.
  • 12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
    gahspidy
    Hey there, Dancer. I like this alot. the lighting is wonderful and your composition is good. As you describe Berlin, i feel this from the image as well. there is an interesting and beautiful quality to it but i also feel a dark side to it not just from the subject matter, but from the overall mood that seems to be underlying here.

Very nice, and good to have you with us.

Stuck
  • 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
    LeeIs
    congrats on a well deserved sticky!
  • 12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
    dancer
    Wow this is great! Thanks much everybody. : )
  • 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
    clayhaus
    Really nice composition and capture...I would like the skies a bit darker (more ominous) and perhaps a B/W conversion would be interesting. Well done.