• 06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
    Didache
    2 Attachment(s)
    June Challenge: Photoshop Magic
    Hi all

For a long time the Project Forum has presented a monthly theme. It is very popular and dozens of images are posted every month.

When frog and myself took over as co-moderators, we conceived the idea of having a monthly "challenge" as well as the more familiar set theme.

Last month we launched this, but clearly it didn't catch the imaginations of forum members. Even so we will give it one more try this month. If it still fails to take off we will drop the idea. However, we do believe there is a place for a different kind of challenge than the monthly theme provides.

For June I have set a "Photoshop Challenge". I have posted two images just as they came out of the camera - no adjustments at all. Members are invited to freely download them and see what they can make of them. It could be that you just want to make them better. But it may be that you want to be even more creative with them - adding things, turning them into abstracts, etc. If members start posting their own takes on them, I might throw in a couple more to play with.

The images are below, but you might like to download a bigger version of them. You can get these from:

The Whirling Dervish:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=241239

The Snow Scene:

Cheers
    Mike
  • 06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
    Asmarlak
    Re: June Challenge: Photoshop Magic
    I don't know about that. These two images are low-res. and too small in size. To show real creativity in Photoshop, a one should start with hi-res., and then reduce the size. Any serious alterations to these two will show uneven color graduation as well as high level of noise.
  • 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM
    mjs1973
    I really like the idea Mike, and I hope I can make the time to play around with it.
  • 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM
    Frog
    Yes asmarlak but it isn't a contest and I think the challenges are a good idea.
  • 06-02-2009, 12:00 AM
    Canuck935
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok I'm not a crazy photoshop whiz so It's mostly just basic edits. The craziest thing I did was try and move the sun over to the right.
  • 06-02-2009, 02:44 AM
    flyinion
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just a little black & white tweak. I tried an HDR on the first one, the white clothing got some very strange colors in it so I gave up lol.
  • 06-02-2009, 05:40 AM
    Didache
    Thanks for starting this off guys.

I take the point about resolution .. so here are larger versions (2500 pixels on the long side). This is a learning process for me too!

The Whirling Dervish:

The Snow Scene:

Please do not feel you only have to "fix" the pictures. You can do anything you like with them, even creating fantasy images.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 06-04-2009, 01:33 AM
    hminx
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thought I would have a go at this
  • 06-04-2009, 05:19 AM
    Didache
    hminx - good job!

For the record, this was taken Jan 2008 at the emperor's "Summer Palace" and lake in Beijing. You can see Beijing's notorious pollution in the sky.

Mike
  • 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
    Frog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just played with filters(photo filter) and some levels.
    I kind of like it.
  • 06-26-2009, 11:54 PM
    EverlastingImpressions
    2 Attachment(s)
    Thought I'd be the first to try something with the first photo. Here's two quick edits.
  • 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
    jetrim
    1 Attachment(s)
    I tried something a bit different and combined the two images after color balancing. A little contrast work and a cooling filter...
  • 06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
    Anbesol
    1 Attachment(s)
    okay here goes...
  • 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
    Anbesol
    2 Attachment(s)
    Is that the Sufi whirling? Where is he doing that?

Anyway, a couple other stabs.
  • 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
    Didache
    Yay! Super .. that is the kind of creativity I was hoping for - not just a "fix" of the image. Very clever.

Apologies for not posting lately. I have been in Egypt and only just got home 20 minutes ago!

More tomorrow, including Egypt pics.

Mike
  • 06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
    JETA
  • 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
    gotrocks
    1 Attachment(s)
    My sun is brighter than your sun AND
    my son can out whirl your son.

Attachment 79567

I got error screen when attempted to get larger image. Both links.
  • 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
    Frog
    You can add to this thread but be aware that Mike hasn't been around for some time and I know he had a heart attack but let us know he was getting better, but haven't heard form him since.
    I'll keep up the project but I'm not going to deal with the challenges.
    Nice work guys....just don't expect much from the challenges unless someone wants to take them over.
  • 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM
    gotrocks
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank you once again Frog for all your efforts to keep this site enjoyable.
    My prayers go out for Mike, I did not know his status.
    Since I'm back and have been fiddling around here is one more.

Attachment 79576
  • 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    You can add to this thread but be aware that Mike hasn't been around for some time and I know he had a heart attack but let us know he was getting better, but haven't heard form him since.
    I'll keep up the project but I'm not going to deal with the challenges.
    Nice work guys....just don't expect much from the challenges unless someone wants to take them over.

I had no idea Mike had a heart attack. Has anyone tried to contact him since the last communication?

Also I had no idea I was reading a year old thread. I saw June and off I went.
  • 06-15-2010, 07:42 AM
    Liz
    Like Julie, I also thought this was June 2010 - until I finished reading the thread.

Is there anyone around who knows how to contact Mike? Maybe there should be a new thread started in VF if no one here knows, so that maybe someone who can contact him would post.

Liz
  • 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
    Frog
    I googled his name a month or so ago and found some updates to his website.
    You can email him through here, too.

Just looked at his website and it was updated on the 7th of this month.