Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    Resident Dallas Cowboys Guru AnthonyH's Avatar

Fake Model/Tilt Shift

I use Photoshop CS4, I'm not sure about the layout of previous versions.

Original:

1. Open your image and enter in Quickmask Mode.

2. Select the Gradient Tool, make sure the Reflected Gradient option is selected, and also the 3 check boxes should be active.

3. Click on the focal point of your picture, and make a vertical line (slightly off center produces better results).

4. Go back into Standard Mode.

5. Filter -> Blur -> Lens Blur. The Radius should be between 10-20 for best results, and the next 2 sliders at 0. Select ok.

6. Image -> Adjustments -> Curves.

Final Version:

GB1

Re: Fake Model/Tilt Shift

Anthony,

To me it's a sound approach that closely emulates what a model pic would look like. To shoot a model, you would have to have a macro lens and they have very shallow DOFs, as this one has. The only thing that looks a bit odd is how bright the out-of-focus areas are .. not sure on this. Also, you might reduce the blur just a tad. Nice explanatory post - GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Very informative, thanks! I use Corel's PSP X2 but from your explanation, I know exactly how to achive the same result with that software.

Thanks again...

This sort of photography is becoming the new HDR. Everyone wants to have a go at it.

I have to say it's not my thing, but it seems a lot of people are processing their shots like this.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Thread Information