Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Recovering lost / corrupted files from SD card

​Hi all

Just got back from a month in Ethiopia and have a bit of a problem with one of the SD cards I was using in my 6D while I was away.

I bought a couple of pen drives SPECIFICALLY to be able to make backup copies of what was on my SD cards in case I lost them. When I put the card into someone's PC out there, I selected all 852 pics and vids and hit copy and then tried to paste them into the pen drive; that was when the problem happened. Only 32 showed up on the pen drive and suddenly only the same 32 remained on the SD card ie only 32 showed on screen. But the data was still there, as the card showed itself as being nearly full like it did before I put it into that PC. Once home, I started running various file recovery apps via my Macbook Pro.

Where I am currently up to is that recovering the files is no longer a problem; it's fixing the corrupt ones. I've managed to recover most / all of the still images and it is now just the videos that are still a problem; they seem to be corrupt.

The various file recovery apps I have run have all brought about the same result with the videos ie they seemingly recover, but then when I try to play them they don't work. I get various results eg they won't even open and flash up 'This is not a type of file Quick Time player recognises', or they DO open but when I try and play the clip the window is blank and the slider moves across the bottom with a couple of seconds of recognisable sound, replaced by a loud and sometimes intermittent hissing noise. Or they open and you see a still picture, but when you hit play the picture remains frozen while the slider and sound behave as above.

Trying to open them in VLC doesn't improve matters, and neither does changing the file name or the extension.

So then I started googling 'recovering corrupted mov files' and so far have tried demo versions of about 10 different apps. Also I tried one called repair cycorder but you seemingly need a degree in computing to understand it and I couldn't get it to work! Most don't change anything BUT one possibly two DO seem to work at least on some of the videos. These are MP4 Repair and Treasured. They work not by you downloading an app onto your Mac but by you uploading the videos to their site, whereupon it 'processes' them, flashes up a price for the full thing and lets you download a 6-second clip to prove it works. The price, however is the major sticking point; for 1 video MP4 Repair quoted me US$47 while for 3 it went up to $84 - and I have about 100 of the damn things!

I was on the verge of giving up but now that I have seen the videos CAN be recovered it's given me more impetus to keep trying.

Anyone have any further ideas / suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Re: Recovering lost / corrupted files from SD card

Hi just to help you out for recovery, there is a post in the help area of the forums that may assist with this, you can look through that to see if someone has mentioned something about corrupt files

Just to put it basically digital files are basically all 1s and 0s, ons and offs. The reason I mention this, is once you have "recovered" a file, if it is corrupt I think there is very little to do with this new recovered file as it has just transferred a bunch of wrong 1s and 0s.

Your best chance is to fix the file either in the card or during the recovery, not afterwards, though if your card is damaged it may not be possible.

As for the software needing a degree, I feel the same about cameras and photography at the moment, but the more I stick with it the more I learn, I know it is a sucky point, but if you persevere with it you may learn something useful that may help now and if it ever happens again (plus you can help friends and family once you become the resident corrupt file recoveyr expert).

I would suggest looking into specialized professional software elsewhere that photography people in these forums may not know much about if you get no luck here. It might cost you a few hundred dollars, but it would be cheaper than what was quoted to you, and you will know how to use it for life then.

After reading your post, I have thought about my camera SD card with RAW file system. At that time, it was strangely changed into RAW and all camera card photos could not be accessed without formatting. But, with the guidance of some data recovery software, like 4Card Recovery, Recuva, PhotoRec and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc. I finally rescued all card images back.Therefore, if you really have no luck to get your card files back, these tools could be your chances.

Personally speaking, to rescue lost files from SD card, a video tutorial could help a lot:
    youtube.com/watch?v=_WPcrHgIPPY
    It will teach you to rescue your card stuffs back step by step.
    Next time, no matter what happens to you, you should never forget to make card data backups in advance.

sorry just posting so i can start a new thread

To recover deleted/corrupted files from SD card such as images, videos and audio files , you can use SD card recovery software. But before you try photo recovery for free you must read this first - rescuedigitalmedia.com/restore-deleted-photos-sd-card

Probably you need to use paid software

youtu.be/0lMztoOigks
    Try with this Data Recovery, it enables you recover deleted photos from SD card easily

Hey, your guys also get needed or useful SD card files deleted mistakenly? Have recovered them back with any luck? If not, also do not give up. I did have tried SD card deleted data recovery software when my camera was formatted by mistake. It had taken most of my deleted camera card photos back.So, if you are still stuck in such data loss troubles, this is data recovery guide for you to get everything back:
    icare-recovery.com/free/undelete-files-sd-card-freeware.html
    Or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery
    Make data backups well from now on to avoid data loss problems.
    Last edited by BusterFom0; 07-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Hey, your guys also get needed or useful SD card files deleted mistakenly? Have recovered them back with any luck? If not, also do not give up. I did have tried SD card deleted data recovery software when my camera was formatted by mistake. It had taken most of my deleted camera card photos back.So, if you are still stuck in such data loss troubles, this is data recovery guide for you to get everything back: icare-recovery.com/free/undelete-files-sd-card-freeware.htmlen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recoveryMake data backups well from now on to avoid data loss problems.

Well, corruption of picture files take place in camera or other multimedia device which used SD card. Be it is Pentax digital camera or anyone. Nevertheless restoring is possible either-way. For this you can use copy of pictures otherwise take help from third party solution.

To know more visit: getphotoback.com

There are lots of data recovery software out there. Tried one before but I can only recover a part of my files. Maybe because I formatted it twice.

There are a number of options for data recovery software which you can have which can help you with files recovery.

Your best chance is to fix the file either in the card or during the recovery, not afterwards, though if your card is damaged it may not be possible

If you are looking for a casual recovery then there are a lot of softwares available online, but that cannot retrieve your data completely or in a repaired state, if you are looking forward to some serious photo recovery stuff, then I will surely recommend you Stillbon Photo Recovery Software, that is not only effective but also gets you all the data that you might have forgotten about as well.
    Last edited by deeppal; 10-25-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Thread Information