• 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
    Photo-John
    Photoshop CS5 Learning Curve
    I just switched from Photoshop CS3 to CS5 and holy cow there's a serious learning curve! I don't remember having this much trouble with Photoshop since maybe CS1. I think the thing that's bothering me the most is I can't right-click on the top of the photo anymore to resize and change the canvas size. I used that trick on every photo for years and years. Actually having to go to the Image menu or use the key command seriously slows me down. Took me a while to figure out how to tile my photos, too. I hate having images stacked in the workspace so I can't see them.

This is a change that had to be made but I sure hope I can get used to it quickly.
  • 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
    GB1
    Re: Photoshop CS5 Learning Curve
    PS may be the 'standard' in photo editing, but I also find the workflow pretty dog slow. Is there a way to create a custom toolbar in CS5? You can in Corel Photo-Paint, and that's been a lifesaver for me for many years. I also find it archaic looking, perhaps from another generation, and other odd things, like the button to create new layers are too small and easy to miss, .... things like that. Maybe they figure you will just memorize the shortcut keys?
  • 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I think the thing that's bothering me the most is I can't right-click on the top of the photo anymore to resize and change the canvas size. I used that trick on every photo for years and years.

I had no idea you could even do that. I just opened CS3 for the first time in a lontg time to try it and sure enough, there it was. I use CS4 at home and it doesn't allow it either.
  • 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
    Skyman
    I've been lucky enough with work to have at least design premium in every version since cs2 (although I can't see myself moving to 6 anytime soon) I seriously think that for what I need to do cs4 is enough (and I have the master collection for it) As for customising menu's, that is always one of the first things I do. I have a 3 screen setup at the moment so the toolbar is on the left (the laptop screen), the image center (the screen with most colour accuracy) and all the contextual menus etc such as navigator sit on the right (they need more space than the laptop screen has).

I find that a great way to explore the improvements is to pick up a copy of the adobe calssroom in a book. usually I only dip into it to get features I need, but if you have time it will really help sort out your workflow. The other thing that really improves your workflow is learning all the shortcuts. print them out and stick them next to your computer or if you have the money, buy one of the photoshop special keyboards (they have coloured keys that tell you what each shortcut does on the keyboard, or if you have a standard sized keyboard you can get overlays or stickers with the commands for photoshop.)
  • 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    ...As for customising menu's, that is always one of the first things I do. I have a 3 screen setup at the moment so the toolbar is on the left (the laptop screen), the image center (the screen with most colour accuracy) and all the contextual menus etc such as navigator sit on the right (they need more space than the laptop screen has).
    )

Skyman, do you know of any way to customize/create a new toolbar? Also, can you tell us how to customize the menus?

Thanks!
    G
  • 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973 View Post
    I had no idea you could even do that. I just opened CS3 for the first time in a lontg time to try it and sure enough, there it was. I use CS4 at home and it doesn't allow it either.

That right-click for resizing trick has been a huge time-saver for me. I'm bummed that it's not available in CS5 :(
  • 07-01-2012, 06:23 AM
    Greg McCary
    I just went to CS6 I am lost.
  • 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I just went to CS6 I am lost.

hmm... I had the beta copy (since deactivated) and it didn't seem all that different. Maybe there is many subtle differences (and I never know about that right-click resizing trick).

I thought the CS6 UI would look more contemporary, but unfortunately the only big difference I noticed was that black color scheme.
  • 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    hmm... I had the beta copy (since deactivated) and it didn't seem all that different. Maybe there is many subtle differences (and I never know about that right-click resizing trick).

I thought the CS6 UI would look more contemporary, but unfortunately the only big difference I noticed was that black color scheme.

The crop tool sux, But I went from 4 to 6, So there may have been more changes to me.
  • 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM
    monique06
    Its really hard thing when you switch version, from cs3 to cs5, I really had time adjusting for the new version. But I'm excited to use the cs6.
  • 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
    Eyelene
    I am using CS6 now and it does take a little while to get used to.
    I also don't like the stacking of images. I have to keep moving them so I can see them side by side.
    Also, for some reason, the patch tool doesn't work right for me in CS5 or CS6.
    It keeps going to an entirely different place on the image then the spot I'm trying to correct.
    It does this on both my PC and laptop but it's fine when I go back to using PS7.
    Maybe it's a setting I don't know about.
    Does anyone else experience this problem?