Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Lightroom 2.0. . .anyone trying it?

The 2.0 version looks like a real powerful program and I am anxious to get the version when it comes out. Anyone here trying the Beta version? I am tempted but will not give in . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Lightroom 2.0. . .anyone trying it?

I've been playing with the Beta a little bit. Been stable so far so I wouldn't have any worries if you want to try it out. There is one thing I really don't like about 2.0 though. In the develop module your tools (crop, spot removal, etc) in version 1.x it's along the bottom of the screen but, in the beta, they've moved it to the top of the right hand menu, just below the histogram. Not sure why it bugs me so much, maybe just too used to the old layout??? I do really like the retouch tool so far. Not something I would use now with my current work flow but, it is a nice option that works well. One other nice thing is in the detail section, there is a 100% crop thumbnail so you can see the effects of sharpening, etc without having to zoom in the main version like before. Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, there's a new vignette function. If you remember before, vignetting would only apply to the original crop. Now there is a "post crop" vignetter option.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm running the beta.
    Ran into the bug with catalog management, I tried the new "Update Folder Location..." feature.
    It's got a few bugs in that result in images vanishing from your catalog.
    And also not putting the images back in the right folder, claiming they already exist.

I already like the position of the tools, it feels more natural when using a tablet.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Any lens distortion correction tools,new crop tools such as perpective adjustment? and how is the dodge and burn tools?

gary

New localised editing, with auto-masking, you can now paint dodge and burn (effectively).
    But non-destructively and without going to PS
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    New localised editing, with auto-masking, you can now paint dodge and burn (effectively).
    But non-destructively and without going to PS
    This is starting to really sound good . . .worthy of upgrading for that alone.

gary

drg

I've installed the βeta on one machine. I like multiple (two) screens for editing without resorting to 'trick' hardware/software.

Initial thoughts include whether or not with the next release of LR, if Adobe will implement the full modular concept that was initially touted to be a basic design concept. Being able to replace, as example, the Library or the Web module with a third-party platform or a more fully featured editor seems to be my end goal for an 'all-in-one' program.

The newer wrinkles for Develop are O.K. but more seamless transitions to Photoshop (or other) type of program make more sense than just a new tool here and there.

I'd really like to see an expansion of the Non-Destructive editing elements to include either a gui driven markup language beyond the current 'painting' to allow for tinting, color correction, a different Virtual copy mechanism to allow for multiple versions side by side for comparison of effects and edits and so forth.

A different type of post pro tool set ranging from better watermarking, some basic framing options beyond the vignettes (I think the vignetting s is a test run for that very thing), to a little more fully featured pic/package (again markup or option driven) setup.

I like the 'anti-browser' aspect of dealing with a shoot. Load everything and then remove from the LR what isn't going to be kept. Sometimes though, I've got a small number of images that I know what I want and exactly what I need to do and I'd like a visual ability to import them from RAW files without having to use another browser to pick out the appropriate file name/number and then bring them into the LR. I'm willing to lay odds that something like that isn't far off.

I will not go into the whole database issue right now. I will say I think many current users are not using the current version as it was intended and thus underutilize or try to get the program to do work for which it wasn't intended.

Not much time this week or next to test much, and I'm not going to use it for live work except as a follow up test.

If ADOBE wants to implement movable menus, why not just do it and not play around with different 'arrangements'?? They've got the technology now. It doesn't take up much room in software and there are times it is nice to move a menu to the opposite side of the screen, particularly with a notebook (long detailed reasoning behind this that I am not going to detail now).

More as I have time to run some quantity of images through this βeta.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Addons are coming, there is now a SDK for the Export library function.
    So once that has been through Adobe Labs and out into the real world, there may be other SDKs available.
    There are already web gallery export plugins, so extensibility of the modules is coming.
    Replacement I think is a long way off.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Any lens distortion correction tools,new crop tools such as perpective adjustment?
    There was a post saying those will definitely not come in 2.0
    But didn't rule it out in 2.1 or some later version.

Not sure how much credence to place on that, because the LR1 beta they said there would be no editing (red eye, clone/heal) because that was in PS ... then they released those tools anyway in Lightroom :blush2:
    PAul

There was a post saying those will definitely not come in 2.0
    But didn't rule it out in 2.1 or some later version.

Not sure how much credence to place on that, because the LR1 beta they said there would be no editing (red eye, clone/heal) because that was in PS ... then they released those tools anyway in Lightroom :blush2:
    I think Adobe is in a bit of a balancing act here in that if it offers too much power for editing in LightRoom, it will hurt the business end of Photoshop in that not as many customers will go after the latest PS upgrade. Many PS users have been photogs who really had no need for much of the power behind photoshop. If LightRoom gets to the point where we may never need to leave it for most of our work, it may be a hard sell to purchase the next PS upgrade.
    It would be interesting if all or many of the PS tools could works almost as a sort of Plug in to the Lightroom develop module, than we would have the tools that we love and came to be familiar with over the years at our disposal without having to leave the LightRoom module. At the same time, we would be interested in the new tools a functions of the next generation PS because it would carry over somewhat into LightRoom.
    Now from a programmers perspective , this might actually be impssible . . .

gary

drg

Addons are coming, there is now a SDK for the Export library function.
    So once that has been through Adobe Labs and out into the real world, there may be other SDKs available.
    There are already web gallery export plugins, so extensibility of the modules is coming.
    Replacement I think is a long way off.
    I've got a couple of additional comments on the Export info in the Lightroom 1.41 update post.

ADOBE has not mentioned for a while the (unless at a conference or trade event) using Lightroom as their Future product. I still think that is the long term vision they are planning. The amount of individual image manipulation being done is significantly less, if for no other reason than the increase in photographs being generated as a result of digital photography.

I find I'm doing very little to photographs compared to film or to earlier digital cameras. Partially the cameras are better, partially the tools (White Balance and linked external exposure controls), system flash control has taken a huge leap digitally in the past year or so, but I am generating a lot more images.

The various SDK offerings are fine, if you want to develop software.

Photoshop(the editing ver) as a separate product may eventually become just a module in the Lightroom. That has been an announced goal from the early days of the LR betas.

There have been posts from a number of experts, loose term, who have predicted a number of things, none of which have happened so I',m not holding my breath. The old beta dev. boards from ADOBE were full of what was going to be in LR1.0. Those folks obviously weren't at the right meetings. We'll just see.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Lightgroom is really nice, i had experience with it, Its works great with layer setting and have a best blur option that's perform really good. I'm using Light groom and Adobe Cs6 too, both have many same functions both are perfect

Thread Information