Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Automation of process in photoshop

I have several hundred jpeg photos that I want to edit in the same way. I want to add a white border to them and resize them to a width of 720 pixels and then save them with a different filename or to a different location (so the original images are preserved) I am sure photoshop can automate this process, but I have no idea about how to set that up.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Automation of process in photoshop

Image processor is probably easiest, though it doesn't work in all instances. You can find it at File> Scripts >Image Processor. IP will allow you the option of opening the first image to make adjustments, then applying those same adjustments to all subsequent files. Although it's possible to run IP by selecting multiple files, I find it easiest to place all applicable files in a new folder, then select that folder.

Image Processor will also allow you to save the images as JPEG, PSD, or TIFF, and place the edit results in a new folder nested within the selected folder. Even if you choose to save to the same destination, IP will automatically append the filename to avoid overwriting the source file. Resizing is no problem.

As far as the frame itself, Select all/ Select> Modify> Border (or Contract: Select Inverse) would keep the correct aspect ratio, but "crop" the frame into the image, while Edit> Canvas Size (check the "relative" box) would place the frame outside the image.

If for some reason you can't get Image Processor to do the trick, you'll either have to find another script, or write one. Photoshop actions will not save images or modify filenames.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I agree, I think Image Processor is your best bet. The first thing I would do is create an action to create your border. Once that is done you can use the image processor to to run your action before it saves the file. IP also gives you the option of resizing your images. Just type 720 in both the H&W boxes, and it will resize the image so the longest side is 720, keeping the aspect ratio the same.

I always use IP through Bridge. If you have all of the photos you want to process in one folder, you can select them all in Bridge, then go to Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor. The exact same dialog box appears when go to it the way Joe mentioned. Just another way of getting to the same thing.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I am having a bit of trouble creating the action to create the border.....

hmm I found an action online that creates the border nicely, but I have to crop the pictures to 4X6 inches first.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What type of border are you looking for? Photoshop has some default actions built into it that will create a frame around an image for you. I have a script that I run that puts a frame around my photos. I got it here. I just use the basic version with a black frame and white matte. I believe he charges for his actions now, but they are pretty inexpensive. The one I use, doesn't matter what the aspect ratio of the image is, it puts a nice border around the image, and doesn't crop anything.

To create a simple border, you can do this. Open your image, go to image > Canvas size, check the Relative box, change the size to pixels and then type in # to represent the width of your border. If you're using a high rez image, make you're border thicker. If you want a black border, change the Canvas Extension color at the bottom of the Canvas Size dialog box to Black. Click OK and you're done.

This should work without having to crop any of the images.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information