Is ignorance bliss?

Printable View

• 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
    jacobovs
    Is ignorance bliss?
    I use Aperture exclusively for my photography( PS4 sometimes for some plug ins). I just recently read that some people use Nx2 to decode RAW and then process. Am I missing something? Is there an advantage to using Nx2 before I use Aperture? Right now I load directly into Aperture and process.
  • 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Is ignorance bliss?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobovs
    I use Aperture exclusively for my photography( PS4 sometimes for some plug ins). I just recently read that some people use Nx2 to decode RAW and then process. Am I missing something? Is there an advantage to using Nx2 before I use Aperture? Right now I load directly into Aperture and process.

If it works for you, don't sweat it! I use Lightroom for RAW conversions and it does a great job. So does Aperture (assuming Apple has provided the camera converter).
  • 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
    Medley
    Re: Is ignorance bliss?
    There is an advantage, in that not all manufacturers have released ALL the information necessary in decoding their proprietary file formats. That's not to say that the file isn't transferred in its entirety, just that the knowledge of how to fully utilize all of the flags hasn't been divulged.

This gives the manufacturer's proprietary conversion software a small advantage over larger commercial versions. Most often, this takes the form of differences in the small nuances of color in the image.

In some fields, such as the garment industry, it's imperative to get the colors precisely right. But unless you're retentive about your color management, the difference probably isn't worth changing your workflow.

- Joe U.