Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

ColorVision Spyder2 Express or Spyder2Pro???

After reading the review here on the Spyder2 monitor calibration system and doing a little research myself I've decided to purchase one of these systems.
    As far as I can tell the Express unit and software only calibrates your monitor but does not help you print. The Spyder2Pro gives you PrintFIX PLUS which is suppose to help you calibrate your printer.

Can anyone with either of these systems confirm the Express is only for the monitor and you need Pro to get the printing right.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

PR review link if you would like to research this software.
    http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...S_4333crx.aspx

-Bob
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 02-10-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Re: ColorVision Spyder2 Express or Spyder2Pro???

I started with the Spyder2Suite, which also includes the PrintFIX software. While it will help you get better prints, it is not a spot-on calibration technique for your printer. It is, however, better than nothing. The closest parallel I can draw is that it's kind of like using your monitor's own calibration software- better than having no calibration at all, but not as good as using a colorimeter such as Spyder2.

In reality, I get my prints done at Costco, mainly because I can't create large orints as cheaply as I can buy them, after factoring in ink, paper, etc. Costco allows you to download printer profiles (which is what the PrintFIX software helps you create) for each location, so the PrintFIX software quickly became a moot point for me.

Still, there are many good reasons to consider Spyder2Pro. The first is the ability of that system to compensate for ambient lighting, eliminating the need to match lighting conditions to the conditions you did your calibration under.

A second important consideration is color temperature. Express gives you one option- 6500 K, standard for most LCD monitors. Pro allows you a lot of options (probably more than you'll ever need), but if you understand the importance of White Balance in your photography, you can appreciate the ability to vary the color temperature.

Gamma is another consideration. Express offers only one option here as well- 2.2. That's the default gamma of most PCs, but some use a default of 2.5, and Mac's default is 1.8. Check the native gamma of your machine to ensure a good match.

The Pro version also offers the ability to calibrate multiple monitors. If you have more than one computer, that could be important.

I don't know if I've helped you, or just confused you more, but if you have questions, I'll see if I can answer them.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks Joe, That helps alot.
    I will look into the Costco printing, that maybe a better option for me as well.
    The other features of Pro looks like a good buy for the added cost.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

drg

Bob,

Datacolor is now up to Spyder3 series of products. Well my catalogs are up to that level. About the time I say this, a new set of software will emerge!!

The Spyder3 Display Calibration system now includes soft proofing tools. That means that it additionally calibrates the softproofing functions in your software, i.e. Photoshop or Aperture, but that is not the 'printer' exactly. Those functions are based on the additional full fledged proofing or Color Profiles for a known ink/paper set.

Spyder3 does have one of the ambient light sensor functions which is great if you work under different light conditions as it will change how your monitor looks. The sensor will 'adapt the calibration' to the changing light!

PrintFixPro, a separate package, has even more functionality and includes the Spyder2 monitor colorimeter. It may provide the best dollar value in the Datacolor product line. Reportedly a bit finicky to use. I use Xrite and older Monaco products and they are very touch at times!!

Datacolor has complete solution package now called Spyder3Studio that provides both sets of software and colorimeters that reads test prints and monitors accurately. More money of course.

I always recommend starting with getting the monitor calibrated, and then working with known printer profiles to see the interaction of inks, papers, and editing setups. It is less costly. Be sure you know how the profiles interact in the editing suite (Adobe, Aperture, etc.) you use. ICC and ICM files do different things at different places in the workflow.

Then try profiling the printer output. If you are doing commercial printing work, you will additionally need to calibrate for Pantone color set(s).

Standard printer profiles with paper profiles from the paper manufactuer/distributor are a lot easier to make work. They can be improved on, but it may take many trial and error sessions to find your optimum! And it is not an inexpensive process.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Did you get the other issue with the 'red' resolved? That still looks like a classic monitor calibration that is using the wrong file! It may not be you, sometime the packages have to be run a few time to get them to work like you think they should. The colorimeter will move, or you will hit bad display elements, or even a power fluctuation (you may not see the light change, but the tool will) can ruin an entire run.

Best wishes!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Hello drg,
    Thank you for your detailed help on this issue. An I thought figuring out all my d80 setting were a little complex to work thru.

No commercial printing here. I would just like to print my own work to frame and display at home, also
    I currently build slideshows on my T30 Laptop and send the photos to my plazma TV. The color is not even close between the laptop where I PP'd the images and the HDTV. I am hoping I can calibrate both so they are some what close.

Passing around the photo album is just not something my family does. Bring up the latest vacation shots on the HDTV with a little background music and I have the whole families attention.

So with those two goals in mind I am still thinking the Spyder3Pro is the way to go.
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 02-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

I am not sure that either of these choices will be able to calibrate your plasma. I was at Datacolor's website the other day and saw that they have a tool and software for that too. the Spyder2TVhttp://spyder.datacolor.com/product-ht-s3tv.php
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0124
    I am not sure that either of these choices will be able to calibrate your plasma. I was at Datacolor's website the other day and saw that they have a tool and software for that too. the Spyder2TVhttp://spyder.datacolor.com/product-ht-s3tv.php
    Thank you for the link. I plan to see what I can do with the Spyder3pro and go from there.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Thread Information