Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

How do I use PS Element 7 for B&W

What is the best way to convert my RAW files to B&W using Element 7?

I want to end up with a print that looks as good (well, almost) as Tri-X.

Can someone walk me through the procedure?

I have tryed the easy way, convert to B&W, but it just doesnt look right.

drg

Re: How do I use PS Element 7 for B&W

What combo's of filters and other conversions have you tried?

Did you work in the channel mixer?

TIP #1 -

When working with the channel mixer it is best to keep the sum of all three (RGB) channels at around 100% or the image will look unbalanced or at least unrealistic. Of course you can change this as you become more comfortable with the whole idea of conversion.

Did you use the Hue, Saturation, and Levels adjustments to bring up contrast in various important portions of the photograph?

Applying a rudimentary filter (via HSL is one method, the Channel Mixer is another) will enhance or soften the visual impact of a color and thus contrast (black to white or white to black and all the gray in between) when 'setting up' the conversion.

TIP # 2

Do not Change levels in a photograph more than once, and then only if absolutely necessary to getting a better black or white point and do this primarily for printing purposes only.

You can use a B/W filter in the filters menu, the photo can be converted to grayscale, it can be Desaturated, Solarize filter with discarded color information (I think you can do this is in PSE 7), HSL which I've mentioned earlier and detailed several times elsewhere. These are all possibilities for the B/W process.

Now that doesn't get you grain like with Tri-X or other Silver Halide films or the fancy word that popped up recently here on PR, Argentic film!! I love that term.

Grain with/for a digital original will require:

1. A grain Filtering application, (see Filters for Grain )
    1a. A third party filter like Nik Software Silver Effects Pro. The recent Photography Review article is linked.
    2. Creating a mask from a blank piece of actual Tri-X and using a layer process to 'add' or 'blend' it with the original.
    3. Adding 'noise' to the image and then removing some of it with another filter.

There's no big Red Easy Button short of purchasing an application like one of those from Nik and using their preset grain application.

TIP #3

Not every photograph will look good in Black and White. Converted Color photos may just not have the tonal balance, range and composition because of subject or original intent. Look in the Film Forum for some of the samples of what filtering can do on the the 'original stuff' to get a visual idea of the difference filters/filtering can make. Virtual filters (those applied in Photoshop) do the same thing effectively as mechanical device.

This is a start and perhaps doesn't 'exactly' answer your question, but there is not truly a perfect or best answer. Your impression of Tri-X may be somewhat different than mine after shooting with it for the decades I did. The HSL method is perhaps with channel mixing the one that offers the greatest controls and thus the greatest possible number of results.

I'll help more if I can, best wishes and good luck!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Does PS Elements 7 have channel mixer at all? I don't think Elements 5 has it but don't know about the latest version.

If not, there's another way to convert to color image into a black & white one. I think it's known as the Russell Brown method. This method uses Filter layer and the Hue and Saturation layer. You can then use levels, dodge and burn to adjust contrast/brightness when necessary to get to the final result.

Take a look at this:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop..._21/essay.html

"There are nearly endless methods to convert color photos to B&W in Photoshop.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Does PS Elements 7 have channel mixer at all? I don't think Elements 5 has it but don't know about the latest version.

If not, there's another way to convert to color image into a black & white one. I think it's known as the Russell Brown method. This method uses Filter layer and the Hue and Saturation layer. You can then use levels, dodge and burn to adjust contrast/brightness when necessary to get to the final result.

Take a look at this:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop..._21/essay.html

"There are nearly endless methods to convert color photos to B&W in Photoshop.
    That's one of the better HSL methods. I wonder where Uwe S. has been lately. He used to post at PR quite a bit. Just busy I bet!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

if 7 is like six then channel mixer is called levels. It can be found under enhance and drop down to adjust light then select levels in the drop down window.
    You can adjust both input and output of black, gray, and white.

Since I shoot raw, I usually desaturate the raw file and then fiddle with levls(channel mixer),. Sometimes its better when I just select the grey scale setting or even conver to b/w. Subtle differences.

Just grab a photo out of your pics and start playing with it using any or all of the above. I've been able to save some not so good color shots that turned out to be great b/w
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    if 7 is like six then channel mixer is called levels. It can be found under enhance and drop down to adjust light then select levels in the drop down window.
    You can adjust both input and output of black, gray, and white.

Since I shoot raw, I usually desaturate the raw file and then fiddle with levls(channel mixer),. Sometimes its better when I just select the grey scale setting or even conver to b/w. Subtle differences.

Just grab a photo out of your pics and start playing with it using any or all of the above. I've been able to save some not so good color shots that turned out to be great b/w
    I thought channel mixer was only in the full PS version!?
    Anyway I will try your suggestions this evening. Thanks much everyone for the
    input
    Is there a good book out there that explains how to use Element 7 for a computer
    dummy like me?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Well there's Photoshop 7 For Dummies.
    Last edited by Frog; 01-08-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nats
    Is there a good book out there that explains how to use Element 7 for a computer
    dummy like me?
    I would suggest you try Scott Kelby's books.

Also, check out this site:

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

I think I'm still a subscriber of their magazine (not sure why).

Thread Information