Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    GB1

Alright, you cloning experts ...

I want to clone out that drain back there, to the upper right of her head. Ideas how to go about this?

I haven't done hardly any PPing here yet, BTW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alright, you cloning experts ...-img_0279_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Alright, you cloning experts ...

Here is my quick edit. Only took a few minutes. All I did was to use the clone tool set at 50% opacity and 0% hardness and worked my way around the drain. I didn't take my time around the edges of her suit or hair so you may need a harder edge brush when you work on the high res version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alright, you cloning experts ...-untitled-1.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I gave this a shot as well, in a bit different way.
    Split the model (foreground) onto another layer
    Lassoed (edge seeker) a couple selections that reasonably lined up with the ripples around the drain.
    Feathered them in with the eraser.
    Touched up with the brush by setting color w/ eyedropper and dropping hardness to "0" and varying opacity.
    Merged it all down again

[EDIT] Ohh yeah, use the smudge tool to put the frizz back in the hair where it's near the drain after merging all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alright, you cloning experts ...-clonedimg_0279_px800.jpg   Alright, you cloning experts ...-how_to_image1.jpg  

GB1

Wow fellows - impressive results for such little time you spent.

Mike, I would never have guessed it was worked on! though when you mention using a harder brush, I do see a very small softness around the tie in the back. But that could be easily fixed.. Very convincing. Looks like the cloning tool was all that was really required here .. Hmm.

Jetrim, also very good, though I see what looks like a few compression artifacts around the area and some added texture on her forehead and other areas. I think this is just a side effect of not having the original to work with, though. Your approach sounds more like the process I usually take - a little of this, little of that .. There are a few small transition spots that could use a pixel edit or two, but otherwise, you could also never tell.

I think I need to take a class or two on PS to learn these approaches, for my results are usually not as good as what you guys have here or nearly as efficient (it isn't unusual for it to take me a VERY long time to edit images).

-G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information