Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Thread: HDR Photography

HDR Photography

So, whats the best way to get started into HDR photography? I don't have photoshop. Is there a decent inexpensive software I could use? Any suggestions on some good practive subjects to best learn the process?

Re: HDR Photography

Here are a couple of articles comparing four of the HDR programs.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...gine-beta.html

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...dr-images.html

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

n8

I would recommend trying out the trial version of photomatix fifrst for two reasons. 1. it's a stand alone program, so you won't need photoshop to run it as a plugin, and 2. make sure you know what you're getting into before throwing down $100 or more for the hdr program of your choice. Photoshop isn't essential, but your software options may be limited by what will or won't run plug-in's (if you don't go with Photomatix). I use both Photomatix and Nik's HDR Efex, and both have their merits. I started with the former, and just recently got the latter b/c I liked it being a plug-in. There's other pro's and con's, but that would take a while, and there are plenty of reviews out there.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

as with everything ... good technique is very important, so you can give the best quality input to your software

by that I mean:
    1. use a tripod to avoid movement, even while the software has auto align it is not magic and IQ degrades quickly if there is movement among the images
    2. understand the histograms and use to determine how many images are needed to cover the dynamic range of the scene you are capturing

I have used photomatix for almost 2 years now, before that a freeware , now called luminance hdr, HDR Efex trial (it's a plugin but can be used standalone too) , and oloneo

i still like photomatix the best of all of these

be warned , addtional processing is needed to the output of any of the mentioned programs, likely with a layers capable editor

Quote Originally Posted by timwaters77
    So, whats the best way to get started into HDR photography? I don't have photoshop. Is there a decent inexpensive software I could use? Any suggestions on some good practive subjects to best learn the process?
    Here is a link that provides an introduction to HDR imaging and an introduction to Photomatix.
    http://abduzeedo.com/how-create-hdr-...matix-tutorial

This link is to Trey Ratcliffe's page where he talks about HDR and Photomatix software, as well, he hands out a code that will get you a discount on the product should you decide to purchase it. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-software/

You can download Photomatix and use it for a learning period, but the software puts some small watermarks on the final image, until you buy it. I don't mean to labour the point about Photomatix or other HDR software such Nik Software's HDR Efex Pro and FDRTools, but software to do HDR pprocessing is relatively inexpensive when you consider all that it does, and like any other software, you get exactly what you pay for, or don't pay for.

This link will give you a look at a variety of "free" software packages for HDR. I cannot comment on any of them, because I have not used them, but they are free , so you could try a few and choose one you like.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...r-software.htm

This link gives you access to an HDR tutorial aimed at Landscape photographers - ideas are transferable to other areas.
    http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm Hope this helps.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

thanks all. looks like a good beginning

I'd like to try my hand at some HDR photos. I've already got photoshop, how do these other programs stack up? Am I better off sticking with photoshop, or is a personal preference type of thing where I will have to try the other programs out to figure out which is best for me? I'd like to avoid spending more money if PS will get the job done.

GB1

Mark,

What version of PS do you have? I had CS2 and the HDR capability was terrible, but CS5's is quite good. It is almost as good as PhotoMatix, which appears to be the King of the Hill right now. There are others too, but I haven't used them. I think Nik makes an HDR app, and there's a few others.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for sharing these important resources. Great scope to learn something new.

Thread Information