Photography As Art Forum

This forum is for artists who use a camera to express themselves. If your primary concern is meaning and symbolism in photography, then you've come to the right place. Please respect other community members and their opinions when discussing the meaning of "art" or meaning in images. If you'd like to discuss one of your photos, please upload it to the photo gallery, and include a link to that gallery page in your post. Moderators: Irakly Shanidze, Megan, Asylum Steve

Only my photos on my walls.

Hopefully this is the right forum for this, but if not please forgive me. I have a simple question: Do you allow photos taken by other people on the walls of your home?

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Only my photos on my walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandchuck View Post
    Hopefully this is the right forum for this, but if not please forgive me. I have a simple question: Do you allow photos taken by other people on the walls of your home?
    Hey there. Welcome, Chuck! No, this is fine place to chat, and that is actually a good topic.

Most "ordinary" folks that aren't blessed with the creative gift tend to buy and hang art made only by others. I mean, that's the way it's been done throughout the centuries. I'll bet there was even a caveman somewhere that bought or paid someone else to do a cave painting in his crib because he himself had no talent.

But what if you can make your own imagery? What if you are a photographer or artist, and are good at what you do, or at least think you are? Well, I can only speak from personal experiences, and as for art on the walls, I tend to do both.

Some of my collected art over the years has been created by others, usually because it was a medium that I did not partake in, like painting or sculpture. Also, being a pop culture brat, I have a lot of cool movie and music posters that I hang as art. In addition, from time to time I hang my own work, if it is something I really like. Of course the luxury there is I can take things down as I tire of them and replace them with other photos.

So, my answer is a little of everything goes up. What do you do?

BTW, in case you were wondering, I do have photos and photo-art created by others, mostly friends. For now, it sits in archival storage, and I take it out on occasion to look at it, but seeing how I live in a house with others, sadly I do not have the wall space to display it...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Yeah, I personally find it arrogant to be hanging ONLY your work

I saw the title of the thread and I knew that I had to check it out.

Wow, this is one of the most intriguing questions to answer.

Well, for me, it doesn't really matter whose photographs are hanging on my wall, as long as they mean something.

I believe that photos are a piece of art, rather than just a 'showpiece'. If the photos do mean something to me, then it doesn't matter who takes them.

Oh yes the problem i need to find. Your article provides useful information that i am looking for. I will often visit this site.
    wingsio

Yeah, I would love to flaunt those photos in my home.

A good and informative dilemma for most of us is solved now!

I have photos of Venus, Mars, Moon. One is almost a copy of Virginia Beach Boardwalk Webcam. Others are fakes of famous photos or exotic models. Like, these pictures weren't taken by me (what a surprise.) And I see nothing bad at it.

Thanks for putting this together because it's so good for run 3 This is obviously a great article.

I would love to order some photoshot for my mini excavator attachments i would like to put them for sale

This is a great thing, I think everyone feels this information is very valuable, thank you 8 ball

Thread Information