• 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
    Photo-John
    Some Ideas For Improving The Photo Project
    I would like to see the Photo Project get more participation and attention. That's one of the reasons I agreed to take over as the main moderator. I wanted to study it and see what we might do to improve it. Here are a couple of ideas I've had:

1) Move it up into the "General Photography" list on the forums index page

2) Make a static index page that lists all the Photo Project themes. I see this as a page separate from the forums that has a list of all the Projects with links and a photo representing each Project.

What do you guys think? Do you have your own ideas? Please share them if you do! I'd like to see the Photo Project get a lot more attention.
  • 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Some Ideas For Improving The Photo Project
    Both suggestions are good.

I'd like to add another. It would be useful to know what the topic will be the next 2-3 months in advance. Many of us are busy and this would give us enough heads up to actually plan something before it's gone! No posting ahead of time, just the topics.
  • 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Both suggestions are good.

I'd like to add another. It would be useful to know what the topic will be the next 2-3 months in advance. Many of us are busy and this would give us enough heads up to actually plan something before it's gone! No posting ahead of time, just the topics.

Along with this, how about only new photos. This gives our new members an equal opportunity since they cannot pull from 20 years worth of images. - Terry
  • 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Along with this, how about only new photos. This gives our new members an equal opportunity since they cannot pull from 20 years worth of images. - Terry

I'm not sure if I like that, since I like to participate sometimes and don't always have time to go out and get new shots.

We could though make some months new shots only and others open.
  • 12-23-2010, 06:21 AM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

I like this idea and think it's an important part in the creative process behind the project forum. I have posted some older photos in the projects in the past, but I try to make a point to add that info into my post. For me, the project is used to get me to create something that I wouldn't normally think of creating. It's the same thing we do at my photo club. We come up with a new idea every month that gets everyone thinking outside of their comfort zone. I love seeing the different ways people interpret the project topic.
  • 12-24-2010, 01:53 PM
    Alison
    How about one image only. Be selective in choosing only your best shot to fit the theme?
    I would also like to see a poll system implemented. Letting the people vote on their favourite image.
  • 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM
    joyjoy
    I agree with the new image suggestion as well. I am struggling to find photo inspiration this winter, the monthly project could be just what I need to stay photographically engaged.
  • 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
    jetrim
    I like the idea of new photos, single photo, and poll so winner is chosen by their peers. In another place I participate, the winner. Gets to choose the theme for the next month.
  • 12-31-2010, 01:33 AM
    hminx
    Agree with one new photo per member, and a bit of advanced warning on subject of the month. Cut off date 25th/26th of month to allow member poll.
  • 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
    CaraRose
    I need to point out that if the goal is to get MORE people to participate, limiting photos to only new shots is going to have the opposite effect.

Rules like that sound really good until you start having all of three entries per month because the rules are making it harder for people to start getting involved, rather than easier. I've found with this sort of thing, the more rules you start to apply, the less new folks will begin to get involved.

I'm cool with one photo, but unless we have a method for swapping out submissions, this also means the majority of people will post one day before the deadline, since posting earlier will limit their possible entries.
  • 12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaraRose
    I need to point out that if the goal is to get MORE people to participate, limiting photos to only new shots is going to have the opposite effect.

Depends on whether the goal is to get more to post or more to shoot. - Terry
  • 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Depends on whether the goal is to get more to post or more to shoot. - Terry

My understanding here is that the goal was to get more people involved and participating. Hence PJ asking for ways to get the project "more attention and participation." If you want more people involved and participating, then you're going to want to draw new people in. Rules like 'new photos only' will not help with this, it will hurt.

The question is, are we improving this for the regulars or are we making this more open and inviting for newcomers?

As you increase the effort involved in these sort of things, the actual participation will decrease, even among regulars. Want proof of that, look at how many people entered the 'use your DSLR like a film camera' project. Was it a real cool idea? Yes. Were there a lot of people doing it? No. Too much time and effort was needed, thus participation went into the gutter.

I've been on message boards where 'improvements' really killed projects, totally and completely. It doesn't matter what the project is about, photography or otherwise. If you start to narrow the scope, you also narrow the participation. And when you get to a certain low threshold, even the regulars tend to not want to bother, since there's only three of them trying. Then it just dies a miserable and sad death.

Suddenly I'm wondering if this can be boiled down into a mathematical equation... I'm such a geek.
  • 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM
    Liz
    Good suggestions here. Just a few comments.

What is "new?" IOW, would that mean for example, if it is for January, that I can post only the photos I've taken in January? If so, I'm a bit torn. I really like the Photo Project and look forward each month to the topic. On the one hand, if the rules are new only, it would be an encouragement to get out and do it! OTOH, some topics might be more challenging to find subjects if our time is limited. However, either way is fine.

Regarding just posting one image for the month, I think we should continue to post as many photos as we would like. This encourages more participation - and gives me personally more ideas. This way, we can continue to work on getting shots for the project all during the month. For example, if we can only post one photo during the entire month, and we post that one photo the first day - that is a big limitation. It leaves less incentive to continue to contribute - and discouraging if we work on our skills during the month and come up with a "winner" on the last day of the month!

Just my 2 cents. :D

Liz
  • 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM
    Alison
    I participate on another forum where we have to post a new photograph, taken within the challenge period, and only one photograph is allowed. So you are a little more selective about which picture you choose. It would make you choose only your BEST shot making the standard very high.
    I LOVE this method and get pretty excited when the voting period is on. I just came joint second in the "Gold or Silver" challenge with my picture of the gold bauble.

One of the rules is, you are not allowed to call all your friends over to vote for you, (I love this rule).

But think about it, if the PR forum did away with this rule, (just for a while), and you did invite all your friends over to vote for you wouldn't this attract more people to the project forum? :thumbsup:

And if I can't get out to shoot on the challenge? So what! This pushes me to shoot more and there's always next month!

What if I miss the challenge deadline? So what! If I don't get my prints in on time at my local photographic society ... tough luck.

Deadline's push me into getting things done :thumbsup:
  • 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
    Grandpaw
    KISMIF= Keep it simple make it fun! The simpler and easier it is, the more people will participate. My rules would be

It has to be about the current subject
    It has to be a picture you have taken
    At the end of the month let everyone decide for themselves which picture they liked the best
    Post subject for following month and repeat the above
  • 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    KISMIF= Keep it simple make it fun! The simpler and easier it is, the more people will participate. My rules would be

It has to be about the current subject
    It has to be a picture you have taken
    At the end of the month let everyone decide for themselves which picture they liked the best
    Post subject for following month and repeat the above

My feelings exactly.
  • 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
    joyjoy
    Instead of making the limit to a new photo, could we set a time period like within the last 3 years? I completely understand where the "less is more" folks are coming from, but as someone who is in between the newbie and the long time photographers I love the idea of the monthly project to push myself creatively. There has to be a middle ground that allows more participation from everyone.

I absolutely love the idea of a poll and think it would be a great addition.
  • 01-01-2011, 03:21 PM
    joyjoy
    Sorry for the duplication, still getting used to my iPad.
  • 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
    hminx
    A bit of a vexed question here, while I think I can see where Cara and Grandpaw are coming from, and I agree participation could be an issue, but to me the point of the monthly project, is to get out and create something fresh and not troll through your HD for something that sort of fits the criteria.
    If the subject for the month doesn't spin my wheels I would just wait until the following month, but still vote if that was the way the thing was set up.
  • 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
    Alison
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joyjoy
    Instead of making the limit to a new photo, could we set a time period like within the last 3 years? I completely understand where the "less is more" folks are coming from, but as someone who is in between the newbie and the long time photographers I love the idea of the monthly project to push myself creatively. There has to be a middle ground that allows more participation from everyone.

I absolutely love the idea of a poll and think it would be a great addition.

Exactly how I used to feel, but, being on the "single new photo" forum pushed me to get better. I wanted to be up there with the big boys and it took me a while, and, I never dreamed I would I ever get there, but I did :)
    The vote for 1st place got 53 votes. Me and another member got joint 2nd place with 51 votes each :thumbsup:
    You'll get there too joyjoy.
  • 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM
    joyjoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison
    Exactly how I used to feel, but, being on the "single new photo" forum pushed me to get better. I wanted to be up there with the big boys and it took me a while, and, I never dreamed I would I ever get there, but I did :)
    The vote for 1st place got 53 votes. Me and another member got joint 2nd place with 51 votes each :thumbsup:
    You'll get there too joyjoy.

Thank you for the encouragement, I have learned so much on the forum that my images have improved. I know to continue to see improvement I have to stretch myself and learn to see the world in new ways. Can't wait to see what the January project will be :D
  • 01-12-2011, 11:55 PM
    Jimmy B
    Time to quit lurking and join back in. The project for me is going out and shooting something other than my normal stuff. Digging through our H/D(s) doesn't get you out shooting. Maybe make it 2 submissions per month.
    Just my .02 cents
  • 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
    Greg McCary
    Moving the forum up closer to the top is a good idea and some more advanced notice to what to be shooting, maybe member voting each month on the feature too.
  • 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM
    Alison
    Don't keep us waiting any longer for the new project? I'm losing interest keep checking to see if it's been posted.
  • 01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
    Jimmy B
    How about "Weather" for January's theme?