Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Liz

May Project???????

I'm hoping to get a bit of time to use my camera and news lens this weekend.....just curious as to this month project.......

Thanks!

Liz

Re: May Project???????

Liz, I'm curious what lens you ended up with.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Liz, I'm curious what lens you ended up with.
    Well, I originally purchased the Tokina 12-24, and returned it (mistake - it is so sharp). I couldn't seem to stop wondering if I "needed" those extra 2 mm. So I caved and exchanged it for the Canon 10-20. However, I don't think I got a good copy as all the images were soft - much softer than the Tokina. I think the copy I got was front-focusing also.

At any rate, I ended up returning it and getting another Tokina 12-24. It arrived a couple of days ago, but it's been raining ever since. Hopefully tomorrow the sun will shine and I'll take it out. I had also been interested in the new Tokina 11-16; however, it's almost 6 oz heavier - and the 12-24 is about all I can handle in weight. The 11-16 has a constant 2.8 aperture - the 12-24 has a f4 constant which I'm very happy about.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Well, I originally purchased the Tokina 12-24, and returned it (mistake - it is so sharp). I couldn't seem to stop wondering if I "needed" those extra 2 mm. So I caved and exchanged it for the Canon 10-20. However, I don't think I got a good copy as all the images were soft - much softer than the Tokina. I think the copy I got was front-focusing also.

At any rate, I ended up returning it and getting another Tokina 12-24. It arrived a couple of days ago, but it's been raining ever since. Hopefully tomorrow the sun will shine and I'll take it out. I had also been interested in the new Tokina 11-16; however, it's almost 6 oz heavier - and the 12-24 is about all I can handle in weight. The 11-16 has a constant 2.8 aperture - the 12-24 has a f4 constant which I'm very happy about.

Liz
    OH wow! I knew you were returning the original Tokina, but had no idea you ended up getting another. Please post updates on how you like the new one and how you feel about the 2mm difference.

My plan has been to stay away from third party lenses until I started reading about the Tokina lens you have.

Hope the rain stops for you soon!

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

My plan has been to stay away from third party lenses until I started reading about the Tokina lens you have.
    Yes, that's been my plan for years. Then I saw some results from the Tokina in the UWA thread (link below). OT and a few others have this lens. I was impressed with the IQ - sharp with excellent color rendition. Tomorrow it's supposed to be nice so I'm hoping to take the "new" one out for the first time.

The Ultra Wide Angle Thread

Steve (anotherview) also linked me to this photographer - Layne Kennedy. Many of the images on his website were shot at about 12-15mm (probably not the Tokina). These images convinced me you can do a lot at 12mm. Take a look at these images - they are very inspiring.

http://laynekennedy.com/

Liz

It will be announced soon

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    It will be announced soon
    Thanks Alison! Have a great weekend.

Liz

Liz, Layne Kennedy's site is phenomenal! I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time there looking around.

I love how he protects his photos. I've had a problem with theft on my site and his copyright is so straight forward nobody can claim they didn't understand.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Liz, Layne Kennedy's site is phenomenal! I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time there looking around.

I love how he protects his photos. I've had a problem with theft on my site and his copyright is so straight forward nobody can claim they didn't understand.
    I agree. It's one of my favorite sites. After viewing this site numerous times, I don't think I could live without an UWA lens! Steve (anotherview) said a lot of his photos are in the 20mm (12 crop) range. This is very exciting - and gives my less-than-humble beginnings with the 12-24 a lot of hope. I just love looking at his photos.

Liz

Thread Information