• 03-02-2004, 04:59 PM
    Photo-John
    March Photo Project Ideas?
    Hey, it snuck up on me again. It's time for a new Photo Project. Give me some ideas so I can get something up.

And what do you guys think about a permanent Photo Project message board? It might not get a ton of use, but it would be a permanent home for Photo Project ideas and discussion about the themes and photos. I like the idea and have always wanted a dedicated forum. But I need to know if other people would use it. I think it would help build participation in the Photo Project and possibly make it richer and more interesting.
  • 03-02-2004, 05:10 PM
    Liz
    Street Photography.....
    It covers a lot of territory.......from photos of interesting people, buildings, etc. to the less personal yellow line in the street. :D

Permanent Photo Project board.....yes. It would be good to go back & review an image. People do some good work for the projects that are worth keeping in one place. IMO.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Hey, it snuck up on me again. It's time for a new Photo Project. Give me some ideas so I can get something up.

And what do you guys think about a permanent Photo Project message board? It might not get a ton of use, but it would be a permanent home for Photo Project ideas and discussion about the themes and photos. I like the idea and have always wanted a dedicated forum. But I need to know if other people would use it. I think it would help build participation in the Photo Project and possibly make it richer and more interesting.

• 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM
    Photo-John
    Street: I llike that. And I know Gerry Widen would like it, too :-)
  • 03-02-2004, 08:11 PM
    darkrainfall
    I would like to see a forum dedicated to the photo projects... it might make people (like me) more apt to post their pics for the projects. I looked at the projects from before, but was slightly confused as to which one I should post to, if any... I actually looked to see if there was a forum for this, but I was disappointed to find that none existed.
    Street, it is a broad topic, but it sounds good. What about Transportation as a topic? I don't think it's been done yet.
  • 03-02-2004, 08:22 PM
    natatbeach
    thumbs up for a home for the project...

and a street theme is cool...

this might be bizarro...but windows...they provide an opportunity to see whether you're looking in looking out, or just looking...plus it leaves it open to other areas like eyes or faces and expressions since the eyes are "supposed to be" the windows to the soul...

anyways windows is a thought...although street is good to.
  • 03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
    another view
    I like the idea of having the Photo Projects on a separate forum, they would probably get more traffic. How about a "get out of your comfort zone/shoot something different" topic? This would mean something different to everyone.
  • 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM
    Gerry Widen
    I think a permanent forum for the photo project makes sense. Not only a place to discuss future projects but a forum to comment on how a current project might be going or to discuss particular photo(s) with an HTML link to the photo. I go far back enough to remember when there was a project forum or space. It didn't really work but the new software would suit it fine. I still like the idea of a 2 month forum to give people a chance to go out, shoot, process and post the photos. And of course a street project would be fine with me.
  • 03-04-2004, 09:21 AM
    Hatrick
    I'm relatively new here and think the project idea is great. :-) Are there any guidelines to follow? As for the separate forum, I do think that is a good idea too. I'm pretty flexible, though, so I'll just go along with what everybody thinks is best.
  • 03-04-2004, 09:52 AM
    Photo-John
    Getting out of your comfort zone is kind of the idea behind the Project, anyway. By having "assignments", it forces people to shoot things they might not be interested in on their own. It's easier to get outside of your comfort zone if other people give you some direction. On your own, it's pretty hard.
  • 03-04-2004, 09:54 AM
    Photo-John
    Windows is a great one!
    Windows isn't a bad idea, nat. It's perfect for the Photo Project. It's concrete enough that everyone will know what to do, yet still open enough for lots of experimenting and interpretation. That's absolutely in the spirit of the Photo Project.
  • 03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
    Liz
    To take it further.........or not.......
    I like what Sailor Jerry did. If you've made a decision for March, we could try what he did at a later time. People in the news.....sort of. A photo of someone and the story behind it. Great idea IMO. :cool:

So.......when do we find out?

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John

• 03-04-2004, 11:28 AM
    Old Timer
    Ditto (")
    Ditto on the windows project. Great Idea.
  • 03-04-2004, 01:00 PM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    thumbs up for a home for the project...

and a street theme is cool...

this might be bizarro...but windows...they provide an opportunity to see whether you're looking in looking out, or just looking...plus it leaves it open to other areas like eyes or faces and expressions since the eyes are "supposed to be" the windows to the soul...

anyways windows is a thought...although street is good to.

I agree with the Windows suggestion. I was going to suggest 'Portals' for much the same reasons.
  • 03-05-2004, 09:54 AM
    Gerry Widen
    I also like the windows project. (So would Bill Gates) <p> I would still like to see a permanent project forum. As long as PJ is willing to put it up why not? At one time going back 3 years or so the project was so popular that there were complaints that people were posting too many photos each month. I think sometimes over a 100 photos were submitted. The past year or so the project has kind of died. With so many people using digital cameras it is much easier to shoot a few "frames" (I guess in digital they are not frames same, as we don't "dial" phones any more) specific projects. These kind of threads tend to go away- get buried down the page. A permant forum will keep the project discussions up to date.
  • 03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
    natatbeach
    ooooh yeah
    Portals conjures up a lot more than windows for me...any of the three is hunky dory by me...
  • 03-05-2004, 11:35 AM
    Irakly Shanidze
    Street Photography!!!
    Street photography rules especially because it fits right within my comfort zone :)
    Photoproject board sounds more than reasonable, especially if it is integgrated with photoproject pages.
  • 03-08-2004, 09:26 AM
    stew
    clarify?
    i think i'm excited about the idea because everyone else is too :). LOL.

I am going to expose my ignorance, however, and ask - how exactly does a photo project work? My guess is it ends up being a common collection area for photos on the theme of the month, where anyone can post, and there's a common pointer. There's probably also area for discussion posts. Is this right?

Looking forward to participating!

Cheers, Stew
  • 03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
    Gerry Widen
    Stew, you basically got it right. The intrepretations of the submitted photos to the projects in the past have been pretty liberal. When a project is open to different intrepretations it is usually more interesting. The current project is "street". There can many different ways this can be approached. Street portrats, candids, I consider a photo taken at a Mall a street photo. In a coffee shop or museum why not. Many people consider street photos should have people in them. Why? Is a candid photo of a person working on a farm a street photo? Why not. <p> I good idea is to look at the past projects and see how different people have intrepereted the projects.
  • 06-26-2004, 01:01 AM
    bjtindle
    I have a question
    If I have photos of windows do I actually post them in this area or elsewhere? Thanks!

Betty
  • 06-26-2004, 12:20 PM
    Liz
    Here is the link Betty.
    Here's the link - it's now in the Gallery - to get to it on your own, click into the Gallery Link - then click Photo Project.

It seems there are 2 for May/June? Windows and Macro/Detail......whatever....here it is.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...=514&password=

Liz
  • 06-26-2004, 05:50 PM
    bjtindle
    Thank you!