Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>

I think I need a project

I'm trying to motivate myself to get back into photography lately. During the spring, I suffer from allergies from the pollen and grass seeds, so it makes it hard to get out and do some photography.

I think I need a project to help stimulate myself though. What projects do people give to themselves? How do you motivate yourself?

Cheers,
    Dan
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Re: I think I need a project

Self portraits...have fun with that and loved ones that are geographically separated from you will enjoy it too.

Family portraits if they are cooperative and patient. If not, pets make great models too.

Explore how photogenic your car is. Location shoots, if it's not a sports car, treat it like it is one and shoot it as such (Tilted horizon, low perspectives, alleys, tires turned).
    I find it to be a blast taking my Volvo stationwagon out and shooting it like it's a sports car
    Power Boost 2
    Sound Investment
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I have lots of projects in mind and have had for a few years now.
    So I can think of projects but motivation is another thing.
    The one I really need to start on is Our Town's Doors. Its a small town and I think I can get just about every door in the business area plus a few others.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have lots of projects in mind. To keep myself motivated I have several cameras I use. I will shoot with one for awhile and switch to another. Just take pictures of what you like and the projects or a series will take care of themselves.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Dan, try taking shots of subjects you don't normally take, I've done it lately in the area of nature and landscapes, tried also pano's, it's been fun and motivating me to do more of it. I've been throwing in a bit of architecture as well (though you do a bit of that already) and then there is always windows re: project forum on "windows". Good luck, S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

I use photo books to give me ideas of projects to do, especially some of the learner style books which tend to based around themes,

Tom Ang,
    John Hedgecoe...

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Try some new things just outside of your comfort zone. Perhaps help out a local school with some photos for their yearbook, a sporting event, or some PR images.

I've done many of those for different schools and volunteer organizations and it is a great way to learn new aspects of photography as well as "networking". Quite a fun way to challenge yourself.

I've also taken up bird photography recently and have been quite obsessed with it for the last 2 years.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks for all the idea's guys. I'll endeavour to get off my rear end in the next week or two and see what I can come up with. I do have one or two places I can head off to, I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

30 days 30 pictures 30 places one thing in all the shots.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by danic
    I'm trying to motivate myself to get back into photography lately. During the spring, I suffer from allergies from the pollen and grass seeds, so it makes it hard to get out and do some photography.

I think I need a project to help stimulate myself though. What projects do people give to themselves? How do you motivate yourself?

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan,

I recall someone being in the same situation - needing an incentive to get out after a "lull" in shooting. He chose to begin shooting interesting and not-so-interesting subjects around his home town. He said at first he thought it would be boring since he lived there for so long. However, after a few days he said he began to see things in his home town that he never noticed. He also tried focusing at different angles, with different lenses. He used some of the people as subjects and began to get to know some people he never met before.

Another person did his "hometown" which was more urban. He definitely had a lot to choose from and went from graffiti to mansions and enjoyed it immensely.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Liz

Well, I don't have any project ideas, but I can suggest a book. Freeman Patterson, "Photographing the World Around You." It includes simple little assignments that will help you get rolling again. I thought it was pretty interesting and definitely worth reading. In fact, I should probably read it again.

From the Preface...
    "This book is a workshop between covers. It's about learning to see and about using your camera to record and interpret what you see wherever you are. It's about exploring what's around you every day of your life."

Paul

Some good idea's. I'm taking the plunge, I'm shooting this afternoon! I'm off to a local school and do a re-shoot on some shots that didn't turn out right. Then off to the Cemetary. Hopefully I'll have something to show for my effort
    danic

RedBubble

Thread Information