Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Need a commercial printer but I am clueless....

I am looking for a printer that I can use on location..... I am wanting to set up a shoot with Santa but need to be able to give the people prints immediately but I just have a basic printer that won't work well for what I am wanting.

My biggest issue is price, I need to keep it reasonable but I also want to keep the quality there....... Can anyone help me???

THANKS!!!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Need a commercial printer but I am clueless....

How big do you want to prnit? What's a reasonable price for you? I've found HP photo printers to be really easy to set up and the print quality is excellent if you use their good paper. Paper and ink will always be the biggest cost. You can get a good 8.5x11 photo printer now for $100 or less. But the ink cartridges and paper are going to cost you much more in the long run. It's been said that the printer business is really the ink and paper business...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

ive asked the same question have been considering the HP 8750 or HP B8550

or the very portable Cannon IP100

any other suggestions
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Do you want quality and durability as well as speed ?

At the last Focus on Imaging show (next one is at the NEC 22 - 25 Feb http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/) someone in a seminar said it was well worth him buying an 8" wide roll-fed dye sublimation printer.
    Yes, the printer was expensive, yes, it's a bit large to carry, but as far as he was concerned it was printing £20 notes !! One for each 10x8

Any printer is going to be as portable as the AC power supply it runs off.

This Fuji example is even more expensive http://www.imageprointernational.com...xd.asp?id=1743

But if each page costs £1 to print and you sell them for £10 I can see how the guy at the seminar was making money !
    His use was at wedding receptions or other parties; set up a backdrop, lights and tethered camera to the laptop, and print photos of the guests almost immediately.

I reckon it would be hard to justify this if you're just starting out - but it's where you might end up if it's successful !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

well thats the idea thats what we have been doing back lack of a great printer meant we were doing proofs for order later

for the last 5 years when we have been at football events thats the way its done i end up spending a few quid on photos started at £6 now they are up at £10

done a load for our football club before xmas for a adults school disco and could only print proofs for them to take away sold a few but i know i would have sold a few hundred on the night especially as once everybody was well drunk they wanted more and more

http://www.woodfordyouthfc.com/apps/...lbumID=3332867

think i may pop along to the nec to see the show

thanks
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

I use Epson. I have four of them. Never had a moments trouble out of any of them. Top of my line is a Pro 3800. Having said all that, the best bang for the buck in my opinion is the little R280. Claria ink. Does up to 8.5 X 11. Outstanding quality for under a hundred bucks. I bought the one I have to print on DVD's that I market. Boy what a pleasant surprise I got!

Sounds like you guys are from the UK? Don't know if you have them over there, but Office Depot sells glossy 8.5 X 11 heavy weight photo paper that rivals Epsons best for less than half price.

We are going to go along to the show and see what we can get have a buget of up to £1000

Martyn
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

Thread Information