Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

window vista shutdown 4 no reason help

Hellow folk, my brand new hp desktop computer suddenly shut itself down for no reason either working on editing or not and gave me a message like problem signature call BLUESCREEN does anyone had any idear why and how to resolve this thank you much and happy new year.

Re: window vista shutdown 4 no reason help

If your computer is set for automatic updates it can restart itself after and update. If it is set the time for the update when the computer is idle. I have mine set for 3am.
    If not that I would get some good virus and mal-ware software and scan the HD.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

well, the thing just shut down and when it re-start it got a pop up saying the problem name call bluescreen and I did a google search and got something that I dont even know where to started. And anothing happen when I plug in the second external hard drive the tower got hotter the local tech toll me it could be heat build up or the fan is not working. Oh, I forgot to mention the model is HP pavilion slimline s3521p with 4gig of ram hope someone can shed some light to this poor thing

1.Make sure you are up to date on your system updates.
    2. Have you installed any new hardware or software. If you have uninstall it.
    3. Are you using sleep mod? If you are don't.
    Seems to be a driver problem on the ones I have seen

Without knowing what that blue screen said it's very hard to pin point the cause. If you got to Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced startup and recovery settings, and untick the box that says 'automatically restart' under system failure. That way if it happens again the screen should stick around, and you can write down the error text and error codes and then google them.

With your tower getting hotter, I highly doubt it's to do with plugging in an external hard drive. Ensure all your fans are working as they should, and the whole case isn't clogged with dust. Those are the main reasons for computers overheating.

Hey folk I'm back with some good new I hope, so far I have turn the A/C on keep the fan nearby with both external plug in and as far as no shut down but still not sure if that is the case. I'm going to install the adobe element to see if anything happen will be back with more result thank you folk and I almost forgot to mention this tower is only three month old the fan work fine no dust clogg up I'm sure about that.

My HP did stuff like that at first, if I left for a couple hours and left it on it would go into what I thought was sleep mode.. but wouldn't restart unless I unplugged the power cord for a few mintues and plug it in. I think in the dual (and more) processor world, turning your computer off at night is a better bet. My older Gateway computer ran non-stop for 4 years other than times the power went out or I was going to be gone more than a day.

I'm not sure if maybe Vista's (I personally like Vista) SP1 was the fix for mine shutting off and requiring me to pull the plug to get it to restart, but I haven't had the shut-off problem in over 9 months. Funny thing to me still is... it never shut down on me when I was actually sitting and USING it.

After all that I typed.. I definitely agree that JTcooper needs to make sure he's gotten all of his (assuming it's he/his) updates and SP1 instaled.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Quote Originally Posted by JTcooper
    Hey folk I'm back with some good new I hope, so far I have turn the A/C on keep the fan nearby with both external plug in and as far as no shut down but still not sure if that is the case. I'm going to install the adobe element to see if anything happen will be back with more result thank you folk and I almost forgot to mention this tower is only three month old the fan work fine no dust clogg up I'm sure about that.
    A computer overheating can cause problems, but having to run fan on it just isn't normal. Are you in a very hot place? Is the room your computer is in over 90 degrees?

If you plug an eternal USB drive into your computer it shouldn't make the computer (which presumably is at least several inches from the computer) overheat. The draw of a USB port is very, very, very small compared to running the mother board.

Frankly, I don't think you've got an overheating problem. I think it's a software problem. It could be one of those mysteries that will never repeat. If it happens again, use Vista's "Rollback" software and set it to a date a couple of days before the mysterious shutdown.

Ok here is what the darn thing does when I left it alone for a few hours and when back this time the computer and external drive went to sleep mode and when I try to move the mouse in order to wake them up the computer is up but there no where to be found the external drive and I swear its still sitting there and I'm eye balling its. I have to turn the dam thing off and back on again and bam, it there again. huh...I thinks I should do the estala vista baby for good.

And 69 what is SP1 you are refering to, please can you be more clearly cause I'm not a computer geek

room temperture in the 70

Thank you,

SP1 is 'Service Pack 1' that they are selling Vista computers with now. just like with Windows XP.. Service Pack 1 solved a lot of people's problems with XP.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Vista SP2 is coming.
    XP SP3 made it really solid for me.

Microsoft - third time lucky
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Got it, SP1 or 2 and does that should include in the new compurter I bought three month ago. Can I get that at best buy and what do the SP1 do to help

Thank you folk,
    Last edited by JTcooper; 01-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

SP1 is a download, you don't need new CD or anything.
    You ought to get it automatically if you go to the Microsoft Update website.

SP1 fixes most of the known bugs in Vista.
    I expect SP2 will improve the speed, as well as including all the fixes and security updates since SP1.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I thinks I found the solution to my problem guy & gal here what I did, the computer keep shutting itself down without me doing it so what I did was I went to start button on the bottom left one click and type the word (power) into start search and bam the power option came up, from there I change all the option shut down from 15minuted to NEVER. I did that since the my last post about 3hours ago and no shut down. I will wait a litle longer to see what happen next for sure.

Thank you so much for all the reply though,

Thread Information