• 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
    albot976
    Using Icc profile in PSP X2?
    Does anyone know how to properly use an icc profile in PSP X2?

So this is what's up:

I plan on printing out some photos at a Costco, I downloaded the appropriate printer icc profile, installed it on my computer, and I've calibrated my monitor. I then open an image in PSP.

From there, I'm not sure what the proper method is to apply the profile to the image so that the image I'm post-processing in PSP will match what will be printed. My best guess is that under color management, I should assign the profile under the emulated device profile under proofing. However, I don't know if the monitor profile should be sRGB or calibrated, or what the rendering intents should be, or if I'm doing it all wrong period.

Anyone who knows for sure, let me know. It will save me some trial and error of having to post-process, print and pickup the photos, and then compare the photos and image.

Thanks!
  • 05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
    readingr
    Re: Using Icc profile in PSP X2?
    PSP is on my other computer which is in storgae so can't give the specifics until Monday. Getting all the ground floor flooring re-done.

You set the colour map to sRGB or Adobe depending on what Cosco uses. Then under colour management set the Printer profile to Printer ICC. Set the monitor to the current profile set up and then make sure that when you load the photo that the profile is converted to sRGB if it was taken with Adobe.

Then all should be ok.

Roger
  • 05-08-2008, 07:27 AM
    albot976
    Hm, I'm still a little confused here.

My color map is set to sRGB. However, under color management, the printer profile drop down is grayed out, so I can't select a profile for it. Do I have to add a printer to my computer to enable this?

I'm not sitting in front of the computer I use for photos right now, but there are two different menus under color management. One is for basic color management I think, and the other is proofing? (I could be totally wrong about the names). Both let me pick monitor profiles and printer profiles (although as I said, the printer profile selection is grayed out). However, the second one has an option to emulate a device and I can choose a profile for it, and that is where I thought I should select the appropriate icc profile.

Also, any idea as to what the "rendering intents" options do?

Thanks for your reply. This is somewhat more complicated than I anticipated.
  • 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
    readingr
    I need to get the other computer up an running because I cannot remember the menus in PSP.

Monitor should be calibrated, print should be the emulated printer profile, and when you import the picture you need to import and convert to the correct profile. This is the working space for editing.

If memory serves me right there is an auto convert switch on one of the menus.

For rendering intent I use black point, perceptual. I know this is subtly different to PS or PSE.

Roger
  • 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
    albot976
    Quote:

Originally Posted by readingr
    I need to get the other computer up an running because I cannot remember the menus in PSP.

Monitor should be calibrated, print should be the emulated printer profile, and when you import the picture you need to import and convert to the correct profile. This is the working space for editing.

If memory serves me right there is an auto convert switch on one of the menus.

For rendering intent I use black point, perceptual. I know this is subtly different to PS or PSE.

Roger

First, thanks for helping with this. I really appreciate it.

Ok, I looked at the menus. After enabling color management, I have "basic color management," and "proofing." Under basic, I can assign a profile each to my monitor and printer, and choose only one rendering intent. Under proofing, I can do the same, but then there is a "emulated device profile" where I can pick another profile and another rendering intent.

First, my monitor profile is set to calibrated, I understand that (it is almost identical to sRGB anyway). My printer profile is grayed out, I cannot select anything - I can only assume this is because I don't have an actual printer installed, as I'm trying to configure this for an off site printer at Costco. Finally, my emulated device, not sure about it, but assuming it should be assigned Costco's icc profile.

Second, for rendering intent, I have four choices: pictures, proof, graphics, or match. I'm used to seeing something like "relative colorimetric," so those choices are confusing me.

Finally, I'm not sure PSP X2 can convert to an icc profile (photoshop cs2/3 can definitely do this though). But if that were the case, I could postprocess in sRGB, soft-proof, make slight tweaks, convert to icc, then send it to the printer, correct?

However, I couldn't find out how to convert an image to another profile, which I have to post-process a soft-proof (using the costco icc) of the sRGB image, and then save it as an sRGB to send out to the printer and ask them to turn autocorrection off.

I'm starting to think I might be going about this all wrong. There has got to be an easier way to send an image off to Costco's printer (which I have an icc profile for) and be confident I'll get a print similar to what I see on my monitor...
  • 05-12-2008, 02:57 AM
    readingr
    Sorry about the delay, but were having all the floors in the house re-layed with wood and its taking longer than expected.

I hope to have the study back up and running either tonight or tomorrow night so I can then get PSP up and running and guide you through this. PSE and PS are much easier to set up for colour profiles.

Roger
    PS. Doing this from a work laptop with no Photo editing software on.

Roger