Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Picture Project Burn won't work

Having tried the burn button on Picture Project and destroyed 5 CD's what must I do? Surely it's simple enough to follow the prompts? It keeps popping a window that stops the burn and asking for more disc space. I'm trying to copy 424 Pictures (about 650Mb) onto a 4Gb CD. Surely that should be easy enough?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Picture Project Burn won't work

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Collett
    Having tried the burn button on Picture Project and destroyed 5 CD's what must I do? Surely it's simple enough to follow the prompts? It keeps popping a window that stops the burn and asking for more disc space. I'm trying to copy 424 Pictures (about 650Mb) onto a 4Gb CD. Surely that should be easy enough?
    First, a CD holds, at best, maybe 720 MB. No CD on Earth goes as high as 4G. Are you thinking about DVDs instead? Also, is that 650 MB the room taken up by data or the actual space used to store the data? These are different amounts because of block size on the disks.

From the error message, it sounds as if you really are trying to squeeze a little too much onto a CD. Here's a test: choose 1/2 of the files to burn and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you really are exceeding the capacity of the CD.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: Picture Project Burn won't work

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    ...choose 1/2 of the files to burn and see if that fixes the problem...
    Or, to test without consuming a CD, and assuming you are using Windows, choose your photos in explorer, right click, and examine the "properties". You will see two sizes: the amount required by the photos, and the amount consumed on the drive. The amount used on the disk does not necessarily translate directly to the amount required on the CD, but it is perhaps a safer number to use as an estimate. Also, I generally do not try to get more than about 650 MB on a CD, leaving plenty of room for other overhead. I am not familiar with Picture Project, so I don't know what all it does, but if it creates some "effects" (like a slide show, perhaps) you can be sure it will use space over and above that of the photos. If it is simply back-up, perhaps it is creating it so that it spans several CDs--could that be the case? If so, you usually have to use the program that created it to retrieve the data. If you simply want to copy the photos to CD, you can do that with Windows directly.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thread Information